What did you build/automated today (with pictures)?

No, it has no fancy MQTT API.
You can talk to it over UDP or TCP. Docs are here: GitHub - cryxli/sr201: Protocol example for SR-201 Series network relay
It has no PoE, but I used a PoE Adapter, that does the trick.
It was cheap (aprox. 10€) at aliexpress.
For my case it works fine and has been available without an error since 3 months now.

wired is always better … i am looking for somthing like that
but i dont want to go off MQTT, i find one protocol is hard enough to …

it will be really cool to have POE realy, at least for low volatges, that can do MQTT OOB

Not strictly an openHAB2 project, but the whole building has an openHAB2 setup, so it will probably get incorporated at some point.

These are ESP32 based M5StickC units, that I’ve programmed to be controlled with MQTT and Node-RED.

(Built in battery, RTC, 6 axis accelerometer, IR blaster, Grove port & io ports)

We’re clipping them onto lecterns, desks, comfort monitors, cameras and even using the wrist straps for people who are mobile during events.

Over MQTT you can

• Set the LED (On / Off / Flashing)
  • Set the text colour
  • Set the background colour
  • Set the text (which shows in a different size depending on length)

Depending on a unique topic per unit, or from a global topic.

And the two buttons update a topic per unit.

If anyone can find a use for it, I’m happy to share the Arduino script & Node-RED flows.

Shown here with an ESP8266 controlled Tally light that’s going onto a lectern

6 Likes

Nice! As wearable a little geeky :wink:
We are using the M5 Stack with Display as basic Alarm Clock for Diabetes Monitoring.

3 Likes

I had a Z-Wave paddle switch that I was not happy with.
The rocker had no feedback and most of time it was not picked up properly.

So I soldered some cheap buttons parallel to the on board buttons, removed the battery holder (AAA) and switched to a external AA holder.
I put everything in an old shutter winder case which is not very pretty, but it works.
If I’d know how to 3D print this would be one of the scenarios where it would come quite handy! :wink:

2 Likes

in the past few weeks i’ve build a irrigation system…

I’ve choosen opensprinkler for control… Hunter 24V AC valves and Hunter MP Rotator Nozzle

the rules for also controll this system via telegram are written here

and this is how it looks like:

10 Likes

I’ve been working on this for a while. I have a sloped ceiling at home and wanted to install a projector screen. As you can understand, this is kind of a problem, unless you want the screen to be floating in the middle of your living room (assuming that, like me, you can’t put it directly on a wall somewhere).

So I used a linear actuator to pull the screen to the ceiling when not in use. Communication is wireless via MySensors.

Here is a short video of it in action:

Also a couple pictures of the “guts” of the mechanism:

The biggest difficulty besides the hardware build, was the software for the controller.

I wanted it to be foolproof in the sense that the screen can’t be rolled out (even by mistake) when it’s not fully extended (as this would ripple it and permanently damage it) and also can’t be retracted if not fully rolled in.

To do this, I added an accelerometer (to check when the screen is fully horizontal) and a reed switch to sense when it’s fully rolled in. I then added checks in the software to make sure what I said above can never happen.

P.S.1 There are a couple of ripples on the screen. Not sure if it’s because it’s not being “stored” horizontally, or it’s just a cheap screen and those would show up anyway.
P.S.2 Turns out the screen is less visible when it’s extended, rather than when pulled up to the ceiling. Something about the lines of the space making it “disappear”. Yeah. Who knew… :rofl:

17 Likes

Thats pretty nice work indeed.
But I wonder howcome you have to make three (four) pushes to your tablet to activating this. A simple routine would call for only one, and maybe even with voice control, you dont have to do anything else, than speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, i don’t really like the way it works either.

However, it’s not that simple, because there are choices involved. One choice is between input, do you want to watch something on Chromecast (e.g. Netflix) or HTPC? Second choice is output, watch something on the TV or projector?

I guess voice would work (“watch Netflix on TV” or something like that), but through the tablet you have to make these choices somehow. You don’t want the master switch to turn on both the TV and projector, for example. Input is not a big problem, because if you want to use the same as last time, you won’t have to change it every time.

I’m planning to make improvements, but I was quite excited to get it working so I didn’t want to wait before posting :smiley:

2 Likes

i am sharing almost the same headeche
also i have one reciver with two outputs…
and many inputs…

1. you need to know if your TV/porjector is off or on
  2. you need to know if your screen is up or down
  3. the channel on AVR dosnet matter as you can send the same again unlike in the tv
    that will turn off

this is how i do it i node red

Moving to my new house…
i have decided to wire the all place right…

i had allot of CAT11 and coaxial cables of the old infrastructure, and i dont need them at all …
so i got myself 250 meters of CAT6A U/FTP cable , and got to work

long story short i half way there

got myself a killer switch , some unfiy APs , and some POEs cameras

the rest of the spots i need i will get from the roof
my wife dosent understand why i am so excited but you guys know right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

Great! Which POE cameras did you decide to buy?

1 Like

right now i own two reolink 510 , but i think i am going to move from reolink
still looking for the right camera , then i will buy another 10

at least i got all cables in place , that was importent to finish early when i still have helping hands
of my handyman, i will go crazy on aliexpress later :slight_smile:

Hi @chrode

would you mind sharing your items, sitemap and rules from your garden watering? I had several attempt to implement exactly what you did but it still doesn’t work. My WAF is decreasing, thus I would highly appreciate if you could help me with your code.

Thanks & regards
John

I find it difficult to decide on cameras. I have some Unify stuff in place now, but I don’t really have cables everywhere, due to the fact it is a rental house. But I don’t think wifi cameras on batteries are a viable alternative, as I don’t feel like changing batteries all the time… the search continues

3 Likes

i have some Hik-vision cameras that i want to start integrating in to my openhab.

1 Like

i hear you its a pain if its not your house

1 Like

think it could always be a pain

2 Likes

I was playing around with WLED Firmware on ESP32.

Result —> Holiday season project:
A 600 Pixel LED Tree

Each LED is addressable. In combination with XLights Sequencing Software great fun for the kids.

9 Likes

This looks great - what LED strings/strips are you using (URL link)?

1 Like