What is the correct procedure to include multiple devices into a z-wave network?

For my new home I want to connect 25 qubino din rail dimmers to my z-wave network on openhab 2.5.7.
I’m using a aeotec gen 5 z-stick.
I’m having trouble connecting multiple dimmers to the network.

My house is not ready yet so I cannot install a permanent openhab server there yet. All 25 dimmers are connected to lights. So I go there with a raspberry pi and a router to create a lan.
I connect the first 6 dimmers using habmin without troubles. Stop openhab and take all hardware home.

When I arrive for my second session everything seems to start well and lights and dimmers are still connected, However, during my second session three dimmers I connected in the first session stop communicating with the controller (status in Habmin) and there appears to be a lot of z-wave communication to the previous installed 6 nodes.
All the nodes that are recognised are serialised correctly to xml files in the z-wave directory.
However the z-wave network looks strange. I would expect all nodes to be connected to node 1 in one step (because all dimmers are at one location and so is the controller). But there are more levels and red nodes.

So my questions are
Is there a correct procedure including multiple devices?
Is it possible the nodes are still initialising after the xml file has been serialised?
Should I wait longer between two inclusions?
Is it a bad idea to take the server offline and continue setup later ?
Is it better to wait until I can install a permanent server so that the z-wave network will be able to heal overnight?

I assume you are looking at the Z-Wave Network Viewer in Habmin. This only shows the neighbors that each device has reported and does not show routes.

But did you wait for each device to reinitialize? With mains powered devies, this should not take long. Z-Wave, the binding, an OH all need to stabilize. You may have also skipped a nightly heal, so it could have kicked off too, which could slow things down. There is also a known issue for the daily heal, which can cause devices to become unresponsive. The cause is unknown and the best solution is to disable the daily heal and heal your devices individually once the controller is in a fixed location. Once everything is settled down, add your devices as you have been. It would be best to include the devices that are closest to the controller first and progressively move to the further devices in order to build up the mesh.

They will reinitialize every time the binding (or OH) is restarted. This is not as intense as the initialization done during inclusion though.

You could include them all at once.

This should not be a problem, just be sure to wait an hour or so for everything to settle. The time needed depends on hardware and the number of devices.

Yes, since the controller and mains powered devices are to be located in their final locations when including them in the network. So better, but everything will be sorted out after a few heals.



Thanks for the quick reply to my questions. I think you pointed me in the right direction(s) to fix my problems. Probably the nightly heal kicked in. I noticed that the time was not updated on my raspberry pi because it didn’t have an internet connection (only lan). It was about 2.am. And I believe this is also the time that the nightly heal takes place.
Also I didn’t know that reinitialize took place after each restart.
It is good to know that the general procedure I’m following should work. The system only needs more time to setlle.