What tablet for a wall dashboard

That’s what I’ve thought but I was proven wrong.
Especially after upgrading a sitemap, a reload is inevitable.
Also it has problems displaying rendered charts from rrd4j.
It would be nice to have an “autorefresh” feature with a defined intervall.

'[quote=“Spaceman_Spiff, post:6, topic:7699”]
But I have another problem that I have to manually refresh the openhab webpage sometimes to get the actual values.
[/quote]

It’s a known problem with one of the frameworks OH 1 relies on. It is fixed in OH 2.

1 Like

I have 4 2011 Nexus 7’s. One in a picture frame I got at hobby lobby. I
solderer on a 5v power cable to the pogo pins to keep it as slim as
possible. The Other three are in the slim asus docks that were offered as
an accessory. They all run the openHAB app along with Android Daydream
mode (which our app has code to support properly), so they dim very very
low with a clock, but you can touch the screen to wake up. I have not had
any issues with this setup.

I also got a Asus Nexus (2013) recently, I want to wall mount it. But for me the ideal scenario is that I can also pick it from the wall, so I want a wireless charger and around it a frame in which I can click or slide the tablet.

I’m afraid something like that doesn’t exist yet, and I have to model something to get 3d printed.

How about a Amazon Kindle?
I guess it would be possible to change the OS to any other Android?
(Sorry, did not use an Adroid yet)
Thanks

Sibo make a good range of tablets for wall mounting and support POE.

Have you tried any or any info?
Looks okay if the price is okay.
Josh

I think I’m gonna try one of the chinese tablets, like Chuwi Hi8.
I like the idea of installing wireless charger to its back.

Also, I’m gonna try to DIY a magnet wall mount, like this one. This way I will have a normal working tablet + wall mounted charger :slight_smile:

I did not like that it only supported Android 4.4, so I ended up ordering 21 10" tablets that support Android 5.1.1.

which ones mate?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/POE-tablet-1280-800-IPS-Android_60423128901.html

1 Like

My solution is Hisense Sero 7. It costs just 60€ in EU and has nice white face without any text, so that it looks more expensive, than it is. I have 3 of those. To overcome problem with OH update I use Commandfusion iViewer app with MQTT which is very reliable, fast and allows custom GUI.
As USB Power Supply US iPhone charger is a perfect one - it has ability to screw the wires to it and itself very compact. To hide USB cable I used microusb from wireless charger.
Finally mounting was based on magnet holders from Fire alarm sensors.

Looked at it, but I wanted a newer version of Android.

Sorry for stupid question - why? Tablets of such price segment anyway are only good enough to be used as wall panels, where Android version is really irrelevant.

Well I have 21 tablets, one for each major room and I also use them as an intercom. There are changes in Lollipop that fixed multicast packets to make that work. On top of that Lollipop adds a bunch of new features and many of them are great for wall tablets.

Did you buy off Alibaba? I’ve never tried buying off there.
I like the bigger size too, doesn’t appear to look as good wall mounted compared to the other ones but still looks neat enough.

Thanks Josh

Yes

Considering a similar installation, thanks for the info. I know it’s probably early on for a review, but when you have some conclusions, @sipvoip could you please share your experience with the device?

I like them a lot, have them in almost every room and it’s a great size and being PoE makes it a clean install. It sticks out from the wall a little and initially I did not like that, but it really helps with audio and is growing on me. They are rooted so you have complete control of the device as well.

Really appreciate the info too. How did you mount them to the wall? I see they have a vesa mount but like you said it would stick out of the wall a little.

I wonder if they have a recessed wall box mount thingy.

Thanks Josh