Okay, will do!
A few more things I#d like to ask in this context:
I noticed that when changing the set temperature using the default widget in BasicUI (the one with the up and down buttons), for example, changing the temperature from 20.0 to 21.5 by tapping up three times leads to 3 update commands being sent to the device. To avoid unnecessary consumption of the duty cycle, it would make sense to have a tiny delay while waiting for additional changes from the UI before sending out the final new value.
I was thinking about doing this by defining some proxy item, but then I thought this should actually be part of the binding. I don’t think that I’m the first one coming up with this idea, so – have I overlooked something?
@rlkoshak: Your design patterns are absolutely great! However, I did not find the Design Pattern: Gate Keeper tutorial at first, because I was searching for “duty cycle”, but your tutorial does not mention this term, so it did not show up in the search results. I’d propose that you mention the usefulness of the design pattern with regards to the duty cycle problem in you article. You do mention Insteon and 433MHz, but to improve search results, I think you should other technologies like MAX!, Homematic, Intertechno and 868 MHz and, of course, the term duty cycle.
However, re-reading your article, I’m not sure any more that it actually addresses the duty cycle problem…