Which Heat Pump (HVAC) for direct tcp/Ip (LAN/WiFi) connection?

Hi there,
I’m really new to OH Community and very happy to join into this amazing system/world!! :slight_smile:

I’ve already try to do somenthing Basic in OH and making some stuff working such As lights, presence sensor, rules, etc…

Now, I’m trying to go next step by implementing an Home Automation control for HVAC/HeathPump.

I’m at the very starting point in this because actually I don’t Have any HVAC system installed in my House!!

I’ve to buy one and Just at this point thousand of questions are chasing me:

What Vendor?
Daikin, Mitzubishi Electric, Samsung, Siemens, Panasonic, …

But the Real question is: what communication system/protocol exist from these vendors and what should I use for a solid and near Real time communication whit OH??

Or also (most important point): which of these protocols let me share commands & infos without going out from my home network?
(I don’t want to use/depend by a Vendor proprietary Cloud connection!!!)
I aim to configure my OH system As master that directly interact with all my home stuff in Local Area Network (Lan/Wifi/Zigbee/ZWave/Modbus/ and other If needed); At the last point of work, OH Should work As Rules / Automatic Scenario activation management and, for local/remote interaction (out of rule context) all the items Will be exposed to GoogleHome (this one ‘ll be’ the only proprietary cloud connection that I would like to implement).

p.s. My home modem already have an UPS and a bkp Line with a Mobile SIM for always on remote communication (for Alarm System).

So :slight_smile:
I’ve already read dozen of forum/blog/… , talking:

• modbus rs232
  • modbus tcp/Ip
  • ir programmable transceiver
  • mqtt implementation
    And so on…

But really I’m not able to find an answer to what HVAC Vendor should I buy that provide an integrated (or external add-on) module for tcp/Ip communication.

I see that for OH2 exist a Daikin Binding that seems to be easy to use/configure and doing what I want but if I correctly understand It’s based for interact with a Daikin Modbus module that is Out of Production??!

…Ir based solution is not really what I’m loking for… :frowning:

I’ve write a poem :sweat_smile:

I hope to find Someone that could try to answer and solve my dubts! :slight_smile:

Thanks in andvance to everyone that 'll spend some time for my questions!! :slight_smile:

Alex

It is very likely you will get a variety of different answers :slight_smile: If you are looking for Air to Air HP, this might help some.
I have the Mitsubishi solution with Mitsubishi rs232->Mini-D1 (ESP8266)->(wifi)->MQTT->OH and while my solution still uses MQTT1, I like it a lot with absolutely no issues what so ever, and will return to Mitsubishi if a new HP comes into plan. Just need to make sure the Mitsubishi red rs232 connector still are around on the new ones. (I’d be surprised if not).

I myself have a Clivet Gaia heatpump which relies on RS485 Modbus for internal systems communication so i just read the bus with an ESP8266.
Pain was to find the registers :slight_smile:

The short answer is you shouldn’t care about the interface and rather select your pump based on all the other criteria such as energy efficiency, longevity, cost and availability of maintenance. More than enough to focus on.
Once you have come to a selection, you can check interface options. Actually most if not all of them have some sort of interface that OH can deal with.
My ventilation for example has the basicmost interface which is really available on all products: an electrical IN port. Like many HVAC devices it also uses modbus which is generically accessible from OH but to make use of it requires the vendor to document the registers. So I kept using the IN myself until some OH contributor came up with a binding to support control via Modbus/TCP.
For a heatpump that IN is sufficient as you can use an OH-controlled switch to turn it on when your smarthome control logic determined it makes sense to do that.
At least in Germany, most vendors mark their pump as “SG ready” (SG= Smart Grid) which is really just that, a binary IN, meant to be switched by your solar energy controller when there’s excess power available that is cheaper to turn it into heat (and store, eventually) than to put it to the grid.
An increasing number of (again, mostly German) vendors of heating and solar equipment also implements EEBus interface which is sort of a superset to ‘SG ready’ and works via IP.

1 Like

For Panasonic H series Heat pumps (maybe even J series could work) you can use my solution - Panasonic CN-CNT --> ESP8266 --> MQTT–> OH

Hi Vaikis2006,
do you plan a binding for your HeishaMon?

hi, no plans to do this.

This is my line of work (Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning). If you can afford to… Daikin or Mitsubishi Electric (not heavy industries). These are the two premium brands in the trade, I personally install and have installed in my own house Mitsubishi. I use intesisbox (not intesishome) adaptors that plug natively into the units. These are controlled using the native binding and communicate locally through ascii messages. (They’re not cheap though)
The control side hasn’t missed a beat since a few issues were worked out in the binding in its infancy.
There is no direct cloud control with these adaptors but the Mitsi supplied ones and the intesishome use cloud servers which I didn’t want.

If you want any advice on the installation or kit before you buy then hit me up.

intesisbox example channels:

I am using NIBE and a device myheatpump
Then i can run modbus without any problems. (it is also supporting REST).