Whining about (non)functional status of OpenHab

Well as I said in the first post, this is just a non constructive whining about openhab today, I guess only purpose of this post could be to get attention from people steering the project, to get focus back on the stability. On the home page www.openhab.org it says “100% Open Source. 100% Reliable.” Not sure how it is measured, but I can certainly argue about reliability right now.
I could have just purchased homeseer (and then be mad at them as I paid for something not working etc) and not even care about openahb, but I didn’t, I care about the project and community and I think it should be said out loud that openhab right now is not 100% reliable and that this should be addressed much better
(I know this is binding issue not openhab, but oh is nothing without bindings)

This might sound sarcastic, but this is my actual system today:

My colleague asked me the other day about getting into the home automation, and I was all so proud to help him, so I told him go to ikea and buy few lights, here is raspberry pi and everything will work fine, just install… well… home assistant?

Or you can install openhab, figure out karaf console inside another ssl console, then install manually different version of binding, but not the latest one, get milestone 2.5m1, it should be stable. Also, for z-wave get this other version, but not the snapshot as you might have to restart everything then. But you can make a rule that will do a restart for you, but since you have it in the docker that might be difficult, you might have to build shell script to do that inside container. But do not just do that as then you might have to restart this other binding, and not that other as it misses the keys or the controller… Or just install zigbee2mqtt to avoid openhab bindings completelly. And btw remote access will just stop working without any notification due to some reason not openhab related, so again, restart everything then, and fix the keys and bindings manually, and hope for the best.
And also, even if you are always on the stable version, when upgrading from stable to stable mqtt might completelly brake your mysensors and other integrations, and some other things will certainly stop working, but you know, you can always manually install old not supported mqtt binding back. There is a workaround for everything, its opensource, its great, its huge…

I hope someone else also understands why this is not best user experience.

Being a developer for fifteen years I totaly understand that things are dificult/impossible to fix sometimes, I really do. I even discussed with my boss to give me more Java projects just so that I can actively participate in code contribution to openhab (well not just for that, but partly).

But I also know that all worked fine on my system recently, and after few updates it doesn’t anymore. For me openhab went from hero to almost zero.

And I understand that Ikea broke some integration and that sometimes workarounds are needed, like restarting bindings and installing different versions, and that is great. However, tradfri thread is open in april 2018, other z-wave thread is opened in sep-dec 2018. And I understand that this is opensource and noone is obligated to do anything, but it sort of pushes on the patience a bit as some other opensource (or not) systems have it working, why shouldn’t we as well?

@J-N-K thanks for looking into it, here is post with description of my system and version numbers Tradfri 1.8.25 - offline - communication_error Basically I run all on stable version 2.4 today, to avoid the mess I described above.

I know that Tradfri is working fine for majority of users, but on that post there are several people who are having the issue, so “it works on my machine” does not quite work here.

btw, you can be sustaining member of foundation without any technical knowledge about openhab, all you need to do is to donate two beers a year (or one beer if you are in Norway…).

Stability of the system should be there all the time, regardless if you are a newbie or experienced members with understanding of how things work, it should just be there.

Thanks for listening, I hope someone gets some inspiration out of all this whining :slight_smile: