I am generally trying to avoid whining, but I have to share my current story of how openhab (not)works for me today.
I have around 30 devices:
- 6 lights are from Ikea Trådfri - not working for several months because of this issue with the plugin/gateway Tradfri 1.8.25 - offline - communication_error People using it do not even know if someone is maintaining the binding at all
- 10 z-wave sensors, plugin has to manully be restarted from console on every openhab restart because of this issue No SerialPort Provider error with Ubuntu 18.04 and Zwave 2.5.x snapshot
Trådfri bug requires restart of openhab/plugin almost daily, but if it is restarted then z-wave requires manual restart/startup.
- I have some z-wave sensors that randomly, never worked reliably, for at least a year now Sensative Z-wave comfort strip - cannot set reporting period for moisture also One Sensative comfort strip is working fine, while other two are not
some other things that are not helping
- mqtt change broke all of my MySensors integrations, I used several hours to get one sensor back, but am yet to invest time to get them all to work
- mqtt stopped sending events from openhab to the mosquitto, I am yet to invest hours in fixing node-red integrations
- samsung tv binding stopped working, I decided to just give up on that. Even though plex is also having some issues with reliability.
- myopenhab.org integration goes offline by itself, of course I notice it when I need remote access to check baby cam.
Basically, I can only use openhab to localy see babycam, and sometimes weather forecast, but even for that image on android app does not refresh ever if refresh period is more then few minutes, so I always see forecast for few days ago and have to manually refresh the app (I am yet to file a github issue on this)
As mentioned, this is pointless and non constructive whining, I understand that huge work is being done with migrating codebase and some things have to wait, but I had to share that until recently openhab was working great, and now is basically 90% unuseable for me since lights do not work (most obvious one), and temperature controll does not work completelly due to z-wave devices not working reliably.
Perhaps someone has more insight over when/if things might be resolved in newer updates. I have been waiting for months now without any usability from openhab in home automation, I am willing to wait a bit more, but it is challenging as I moved to openhab due to reliability.
Not sure if alternatives are any better and if I am willing to invest time into migrating from openhab, perhaps some commercial solutions like homeseer might be limited, but will at least work.