Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) per case

haha… No, it’s conventional telephone network - in fact, it’s VoIP with asterisk…
Would be nice to have it for mobile phones though.

As an idea: I would try to use Tasker on the phone to send the caller’s number to openHAB.

I guess I will work on the (MAF) factor :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this @pmpkk
I think showing that we care how the outcome of our hobby will affect others with which we share our home is good, and important; the choice of language, however, is important. In this context, I always feel term “the wife” is objectifying and dehumanizing, it refers to a function not a person.
Hopefully, we, as a community, can find a respectful way to describe that we care about the experiences that those make with which we share our home. If “WAF” or “the wife” would never again be mentioned here in the forum, this would be a great step in the right direction, in my opinion.

As being the “WAF” factor in this post and using the “MAF” factor - I think this is meant as the “FUN” factor :slight_smile:

4 Likes

here is mine:

• automaticaly turn on kitchen light when photocell is passed -> WAF 5 or maybe even 6 :slight_smile:
  • switch lamps via google home - 5
  • roller shutter according to sunset/sunrise - 5
  • automatic heating - 3

I’ve gone for making HA invisible. All smart devices can be operated without HA. Light controls with actual switches, normal intruder alarm keypad etc so no complaints.

But then when I turn lights on or set alarm with Alexa, everybody thinks it’s cool.

1 Like

I am lucky enough to have a spouse who finds everything I do ‘great’.
oddly though some of my contraptions happen to die because she ‘accidentally spilled water’ over them or accidentally hoovered them.

Not sure where that fits on the WAF :slight_smile:

Perhaps SOAF would be the better term? Er, “significant other acceptance factor”?

However it is referred to, the SOAF/WAF/MAF is important. If you live on your own, you can do what you want. If you live with someone else, that person is going to be directly effected and should be consulted.

If you’re the home automation freak (HAF, anyone?), your SOAF/WAF/MAF-subjects are usually going to be less enthusiastic and more critical than you. This is a good thing if you take it on board and work with it: your results improve.

So openHAFs providing openHAB with due regard to SOAF…

6 Likes

:joy:

Concerning the terminology: I think SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) would be an equal but gender-neutral acronym. Or more broadly FAF (Family …) if you have kids (or other people in the household) who wants a say in the matter :wink: .

As for the topic: I started my home-automation project when we installed sunblinds (Somfy RTS). I bought a Rfxtrx to be able to control them with my phone. At first my wife thought it was geeky and unneccesary, but when we started to misplace the three (!) different remotes she started to realize the value of it. Add the rules to automatically retract them when there’s risk of rain or too windy, and her acceptance is now a 6.

I also had some 433MHz wall plugs that I connected and used for our window lights, witch went about the same way (“geeky” -> “ok” -> “useful”). - 5

Recently I started with z-wave, and chose a strategic first implementation: a motion sensor to turn on the carport light, which she instantly appreciated. - 6

I’ve also made a custom integration of my Nibe heatpump that allows me to change the temperature, boost hotwater production etc. When she noticed I had added those controls to habpanel she thougt it was a good thing, but not overly excited. - 4

From here on I’m going to install some more z-wave switches here and there when I got some money left over at the end of the month, and as long as I don’t break anything I think she’ll accept most of my addi( c )tions :smile:

1 Like

I decided to change all/most switches in my home with Smart Dimmers. Those work fine with single or dual switch locations, and all those I replaced worked fine. I have few lights that are controlled by 3 switches (2 3-way + 1 4-way in between). Been struggling with those for sometime and came to the conclusion that the current smart switches cannot handle such wiring. I tested several configurations/wirings of the smart switches by using a mock-up setup on my desk with an actual lamp and multiple smart/regular switches in between. Of course, for my ‘significant other’ … she’s very happy with the switches that work … but not with those that are still a work-in-progress. Thus, my rankings are anywhere from 3 to 5 … depending on which switch she’s actuating.

Oh, and go an try to explain that, to replace one switch, I need to open multiple ones (in-walls) to figure out which wires are which … not fun, plus asking my son to do downstairs to the basement and flip some in the main board while I’m trying various contraptions. I tried to make it a family affair … but not everyone shares the enthusiasm of having complete control from their smart phones.

In question of Smart switches, best practice is to change to push buttons rather than real switches. A commonly used circuit in Germany is the “Kreuzschalter”, which is placed between two “Wechelschalter” switches. It’s possible to install as many "Kreuzschalter"s as you want in a circuit:

and it’s easy to change this circuit to a push button circuit:

Simply use one wire for Load, the other as Push Button input. Should be possible to use the dimming function through the push buttons as well.

2 Likes

Definitely a good idea, that’s how I changed my existing classic installation, too.
And on a number of switch actuators such as Fibaros, you get the bonus of scene activation.
That is you can use double or triple clicks or click-and-hold to trigger arbitrary actions.
For example a triple click in my bathroom turns ventilation up (there sometimes is a need to :blush:)

Have a peek at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSB_MuKkgxE starting @ 01:15:00
suggesting UX as a replacement term.

1 Like

Christmas is definitely a decisive factor in improving the WAF, I had the brilliant idea of ​​connecting the Christmas tree and the Christmas lights to a smart switch controlled by echo / ghome. I’m not telling you how much the wife and children appreciated it.
In any case, the decisive factor is not to alter the status quo too much or, in my case, not to completely remove the wall switches that control the lights but to integrate them with the samrt switches in order to allow both modes of use. (I don’t advertise but I had a great time with the sonoff mini + tasmota).

I remember when I worked at a hardware store (FNAC to be exact) we had some nice speaker/amp setups with B&W, KEF, Denon, Marantz etc (I know, not high end but high enough for most ‘normal’ people). You could literally see the O (to be politically correct, but in fact 100% the male specimen) drooling all over them, while the SO (same, 100% females :slight_smile: ) were looking at the small Bose speakers, where the subwoofer was the hardest part. ‘Does that ugly black box comes too with that?’? Yes mam :smiley:

On topic:
In my use case mostly the automation of lights, the automatic christmas lights when sundown, the notification of garage door opening and closing while gone, the cheap ass sensors for movement detection which automate lights when she drives the car in the garage, all gain a 5. The SO doesn’t get ‘excited’ or totally positive on tech, but she allows me my hobby.
Everything I do must be switchable without OpenHAB also, we see it more as the cherry on the cake. We can switch the lights on manually, but now we don’t need to say ‘turn off the lights’ anymore.