WiFi lighting protocol suggestion

I’m looking for suggestions on a TCP/IP based lighting protocol.

I have ~60x Milight down lights installed throughout the house and am very happy with the fitting and light output. What I’m not a fan of is the control side for two main reasons:

• The lights use the older Milight protocol and only support relative commands when adjusting colour temperature and brightness - e.g. “warmer”, “cooler”, “brighter”, “dimmer” rather than “set brightness to 80%”.
  • The protocol is one way, so there is no feedback if a light successfully changed state or not.

Looking at the drivers for the lights themselves, I get relatively easy access to a 3v3 supply, and to two FETs which I can drive via PWM (one for warm white, the second for cool white). So by using ESP8266 modules, for only a few dollars each light, I could covert them so each bulb is WiFi connected.

I started looking at using this project in conjunction with existing LiFx support in Openhab: https://github.com/area3001/esp8266_lifx , but I’m wondering if there is a more open protocol available instead. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty on both the ESP8266 firmware or Openhab binding code, but the least time required, the better.

Any suggestions?

Maybe ESPEasy firmware (supports PWM (1,2) and openHAB MQTT) is something you could use. Connection to openHAB is done through a MQTT broker (a lot of people are using mosquitto) and the MQTT binding.

Perfect, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
I have a few ESP8266 modules on order.