Will my Fibaro Dimmer 2 work without internet connection?

I’m thinking about installing some Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules to my house to dim some of the lights and set some scenes.
However, I am wondering if this will still work when the internet connection is down.
This is the wiring scheme for the Fibaro Dimmer 2. : https://i.imgur.com/CNsUEpK.jpg
And this is the wiring scheme for my wall switch: https://i.imgur.com/aZjtaCs.jpg

Hi @Zweetkonijn,
Sure, the Fibara Dimmer 2 can be operated ‘stand alone’ with a momentary switch, and if registered with The Z-Wave binding in OH, you can control it via your local (wired/wireless) network. No internet involved… :sunglasses:

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your fast reply!
I wasn’t sure and didn’t find this in the manual. I will give them a try and order some!

Hi,

Although I think there’s only one version of the Fibaro Dimmer FGD-212, just to be completely sure can I check that you are thinking about Z-Wave rather than Apple HomeKit?

Although the hardware is physically almost identical (the case is a different colour!), the Z-Wave FGD-212 works very differently from the Apple HomeKit switch versions.

Z-Wave is a dedicated radio protocol just for automation, completely separate from others such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It can operate independently of other networks, and using OpenHAB, it can work fully locally and off-grid without any need for external Internet nor cloud access.

For Internet and mobile device control, you need a dedicated Z-Wave radio and controller - e.g. a Z-Wave USB radio plugged in to a computer running OpenHAB.

AppleHome Kit is a rather different matter, and the ‘white box’ versions of Fibaro devices don’t have Z-Wave radios and (I think) use Bluetooth LE radios - e.g. the Single Switch (FGBHS-213).

I’ve been using Z-Wave for some years with OpenHAB and it works well.

Hope this helps,

James

Good point! I forgot to mention that a Z-Wave USB dongle is needed to operate it from OH. And be aware when shopping around the world that there are different frequencies used (e.g. Europe 868 MHz and US 908 MHz).