[Windows] Bug in runtime/bin/update.bat file

I am posting this first here on this community to check if I am missing something stupid; but if not then I will open a bug report on GitHub later…

On a Windows system, when I try to run the runtime/bin/update.bat file to upgrade OpenHAB, the script fails with a “Could not find a part of the path” error as shown in the log excerpt below.

The cause is clear: the script tries to create a backup file with a path + name C:\Users\ ... 20210518.055735-52-rrd4j.cfg being 275 characters long, that exceeds the Windows maximum 256 character limit.

Does anyone else encounter this problem? And are there any quick fixes?

REINSTALLING version 3.1.0.RC1

Making a backup of your distribution to C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.1.0
Creating backup directories in C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.1.0
Copying directory conf, userdata and runtime to C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.1.0\conf
#########################################################################################################
#  Could not backup existing distribution to C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.1.0  #
#########################################################################################################
PrintAndReturn : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.1.0\userdata\tmp\mvn\org\openhab\addons\features\karaf\org.openhab.addons.featu
res.karaf.openhab-addons-external\3.1.0-SNAPSHOT\org.openhab.addons.features.karaf.openhab-addons-external-3.1.0-20210518.055735-52-rrd4j.cfg'.
At C:\Users\AndrewFG\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\update\runtime\bin\update.ps1:646 char:14
+ ...        exit PrintAndReturn "Could not backup existing distribution to ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,PrintAndReturn

This looks to be the reason why my attempt to upgrade from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0.M3 might have failed. Unfortunately, the PowerShell window closed when it hit the error.
There is a fix to allow longer filenames here
https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10