[WIP] Google AIY Voice with openHAB

UPDATE 1: Added AutoRemote and openHAB REST API Integration (one way, commanding OH Items), implemented Lucky’s suggestion of having a “do this” hotword for custom commands.

UPDATE 2: Added MQTT subscription to get messages to announce. Also, with the release of the official Google Home Integration, I’ve removed the commands to turn ON/OFF the lights. They are no longer needed and before the AIY would often not recognize the “do this” preface to the command and respond with “those lights have not been set up yet” or some such. Annoying.

Update 3: Added code to control a Max7219.

This is the start of my adventures with a Google AIY Voice kit and integrations with my home automation. It’s a work in process but I wanted to capture my current thoughts before I forget them as this will probably be a weekslong project. I’ll update here as I make progress.

What is Google AIY Voice Kit

At its heart, it is a HAT for an RPi3 and some Python scripts to create a cardboard Google Home.

One advantage is that you can access the Google Cloud Voice API and create your own voice interface and everything is simple Python scripts so if you can do it in Python, you can create voice commands to control it.

The microphone that comes with it is amazing. It can hear and respond to me from anywhere I stand on that floor in my house. As long as there isn’t a closed door between me and the unit it will hear and respond. That alone makes it worth the $25 over a purely DIY. The HAT also has onboard “OK Google” detection so it does not depend on the Internet to recognize “OK Google” (i.e. it only sends audio to Google after you wake it up instead of always listening and transmitting to Google).

Finally, almost everything you can do from Google Assistant, you can do from the AIY. This includes integration with things you might have on your phone like AutoVoice which I was surprised about. There are lots of things it won’t do like read the news and it isn’t clear that sending streams to Chromcast and the like that won’t work. The speaker is a bit weak but there is plenty of room to attach an AMP and better speakers. When it is playing audio, it also is all but impossible to get it to recognize the “OK Google” hot word.

Goals

My main goal for this is to give a job to an old faux cathedral radio I picked up at a thrift shop. It is plenty large enough to make it easy to house everything, has an OK speaker, and looks kind of cool. I don’t really have a specific problem I’m trying to solve, I’m just exploring the possibilities.

So some goals I have to guide my experimentation include:

• basic Google Assistant features
  • control home automation actuators by voice
  • start playing Pandora or Google Music on the phone connected to the good speaker on the main floor

Assembly

The kit will come with a good build guide. Follow those instructions and the links in the guide. For now, the plan is to leave it in the cardboard box until I work out the functionality and then move it into the radio case.

Initial Software Configuration

Again, follow the instructions in the guide that came with the kit. Experiment with the included scripts. Read and play with the included examples as well. You will want to add billing to enable the Google Cloud Voice API but you get one free hour of recognition per month and additional time is pennies. But this could be a deal killer for some people and this is required to create your own voice commands (that don’t depend on your phone, more on that later).

In addition to the included instructions, I also set up VNC and SSH through the raspberry config desktop tool and I copied my ssh certs over so I can log in without my password. This lets me admin and use it remotely without a monitor and keyboard plugged in.

I also did some customizations that I like such as installing fish and setting it as my default shell and checking out my fish functions which let me update/upgrade all my Linux machines with one command and convenience features like that.

Initial experiments

First I played with basic Google Assistant behaviors. I and my son asked all sorts of questions from different distances away and loudness. We learned that one only need to use a slightly elevated voice from anywhere on the same floor as the device, even out of line-of-site, and it would hear and understand. I’m seriously impressed.

During these experiments, I thought I’d give a command to my Nest and to my surprise it worked! Out of the box, it already has the ability to control parts of my house. Next, I tried an AutoVoice command and that worked too! Since I already had AutoVoice Tasker integration with OH including some shortcuts to control the actuators in the house. So somehow it goes from the AIY to my phone to execute the commands and I’ve already basic integration with OH. Woohoo! However, I really don’t like the dependency on my phone, though I did confirm that it works even when I’m not on my home wifi.

The final goal is to be able to control the good speaker via voice. This speaker is a Bose speaker with an old android phone plugged into it. So to start I’m leveraging the AutoVoice integration, AutoRemote, and AutoInput. The AIY will trigger an AutoVoice profile on my phone which will send a message to my living room phone which triggers a Tasker profile on that phone to start up Pandora or Google Music (depending on the message) and using AutoInput to navigate through the various popups and screens to start the music actually playing (this is a bigger deal with Pandora than Google Music which, as the default music app responds to the media button emulation from Tasker). This is still a work in progress.

So far, everything described above is done without any modifications to the built-in AIY examples.

Lets make some changes

Power Control

It would be nice to be able to reboot and shutdown the AIY nicely. It is an RPi after all and pulling the plug is not nice. I also want to be able to do standard Google Assistant stuff and create my own voice commands at the same time. So looking around at some examples I’ve come up with the following which is based on the assistant_library_demo.py, cloudspeech_demp.py, and some examples I’ve found online:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
# Copyright 2017 Google Inc.
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

"""Run a recognizer using the Google Assistant Library.

The Google Assistant Library has direct access to the audio API, so this Python
code doesn't need to record audio. Hot word detection "OK, Google" is supported.

The Google Assistant Library can be installed with:
    env/bin/pip install google-assistant-library==0.0.2

It is available for Raspberry Pi 2/3 only; Pi Zero is not supported.
"""

import logging
import sys
import subprocess

import aiy.assistant.auth_helpers
import aiy.audio
import aiy.voicehat
from google.assistant.library import Assistant
from google.assistant.library.event import EventType

logging.basicConfig(
    level=logging.INFO,
    format="[%(asctime)s] %(levelname)s:%(name)s:%(message)s"
)

def power_off_pi():
    aiy.audio.say('Good bye!')
    subprocess.call('sudo shutdown now', shell=True)

def reboot_pi():
    aiy.audio.say('See you in a bit!')
    subprocess.call('sudo reboot', shell=True)

def process_event(assistant, event):
    status_ui = aiy.voicehat.get_status_ui()
    if event.type == EventType.ON_START_FINISHED:
        status_ui.status('ready')
        if sys.stdout.isatty():
            print('Say "OK, Google" then speak, or press Ctrl+C to quit...')

elif event.type == EventType.ON_CONVERSATION_TURN_STARTED:
        status_ui.status('listening')

elif event.type == EventType.ON_RECOGNIZING_SPEECH_FINISHED and event.args:
        print('You said:', event.args['text'])
        text =event.args['text'].lower()
        if text == 'do this power off':
            assistant.stop_conversation()
            power_off_pi()
        elif text == 'do this reboot':
            reboot_pi()

elif event.type == EventType.ON_END_OF_UTTERANCE:
        status_ui.status('thinking')

elif event.type == EventType.ON_CONVERSATION_TURN_FINISHED:

elif event.type == EventType.ON_ASSISTANT_ERROR and event.args and event.args['is_fatal']:
        sys.exit(1)

def main():
    credentials = aiy.assistant.auth_helpers.get_assistant_credentials()
    with Assistant(credentials) as assistant:
        for event in assistant.start():
            process_event(assistant, event)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

The big changes from the assistant_library_demo.py include:

• pass both the assistant with the event to process_event
  • import subprocess and aiy.audio
  • added functions that use subprocess to issue shutdown and reboot commands
  • added the elif event.type == EventType.ON_RECOGNIZING_SPEECH_FINISHED and event.args clause to receive custom commands

As can be seen, adding new commands is really quite easy and since this is Python, it should be easy to make calls to OH’s REST API or MQTT or to use AutoRemote for Linux to send messages to the living room android to control the music, bypassing the dependency on my phone.

Commanding openHAB Items

This was so easy to implement I’m almost embarrassed.

I just added the following import and function.

import requests

def openhab_command(item, state):
    url = 'http://ohserver:8080/rest/items/'+item
    headers = {'Content-Type': 'text/plain',
               'Accept':       'application/json'}
    r = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=state)
    if r.status_code == 200:
        aiy.audio.say('Command sent')
    elif r.status_code == 400:
        aiy.audio.say('Bad command')
    elif r.status_code == 404:
        aiy.audio.say('Unknown item')
    else:
        aiy.audio.say('Command failed')

Then I added the following elifs after the power and reboot commands:

elif text == 'do this lights on':
            openhab_command("gLights_ALL", "ON")
        elif text == 'do this lights off':
            openhab_command("gLights_ALL", "OFF")

Since the AIY already has native integration with the Nest and I see no need to ask it to open my garage doors this is all I have for now. But it should be enough to get everyone started.

NOTE: With the official Google Assistance integration, these are not longer needed. But if you want to control something that is not currently supported I’ll leave these as examples.

Music

One of my goals is to control the old crappy phone I have connected to a Bose Soundlink III. This is a surprisingly good sounding speaker for its size with one major flaw. There is no way to disable the auto shutoff. 30 minutes of no audio and the speaker will simply shut off making the speaker unsuitable for the purposes I intend to put it. The quality of this speaker is largely the reason why I do not care to play music from the AIY itself.

So I have an old Android phone connected to the speaker and I have a Tasker profile set to trigger every 20 minutes and play a three second mp3 that consists of a 15 Hz tone. I chose 15 Hz because it is below the hearing range of humans, dogs and cats, and I couldn’t find a tone generator that would let me generate a tone above the hearing range of cats (64 KHz). I play this through the notification channel at volume 1 which I hope will keep the speaker awake without interrupting playing audio. I’ve not tested this yet though. Stay tuned.

I’m a heavy Tasker and Auto apps user on my main phone so I’m looking to control the audio on this media playing phone using Tasker and Auto Apps. In order to send messages to the phone, I’m using AutoRemote. AutoRemote gives your devices a unique URL you can use with arguments. So all I have to do from the AIY script is to send an HTTP GET with the message and on the phone have a Tasker profile that triggers on that message. This will let me control anything that Tasker can control on the phone from the AIY.

I added the following functions:

def autoremote(message):
    r = requests.get(autoremote_url+message)

def play_pandora():
    aiy.audio.say('Playing some Pandora')
    autoremote("play%20pandora")

def play_google_music():
    aiy.audio.say('Playing some Google Music')
    autoremote("play%20google%20music")

def stop_music():
    aiy.audio.say('Stopping the music')
    autoremote("stop%20music")

def volume(direction):
    aiy.audio.say('Volume ' + direction)
    autoremote("volume%20"+direction)

autoremote is a variable containing the AutoRemote URL for the old phone and the message uses URL escaped characters for spaces and other special characters.

And some elifs to process the custom commands:

elif text == 'do this play pandora':
            play_pandora()
        elif text == 'do this play google music':
            play_google_music()
        elif text == 'do this stop music':
            stop_music()
        elif text == 'do this volume up':
            volume("up")
        elif text == 'do this volume down':
            volume("down")

That is it from the AIY side of things. On the phone, I use Tasker profiles triggered by the messages I send using AutoRemote.

Starting and controlling Google Music is pretty easy. It responds to the native Tasker Media Button commands so I just need to start it and issue a Play command and it will start playing the last channel or playlist.

Pandora is a pain in the butt and I’ve not come up with a good approach yet for stopping it. Right now I use AutoInput to pull down the notifications and press the X on the notification. I found the X,Y coordiantes by trial and error.

The rest of the controls are pretty easy as they are just volume adjustments and such.

MQTT Announcements

As with REST API commanding of Items, adding subscription was super easy as well. I added the following to the script:

import paho.mqtt.client as mqtt

# MQTT
announceTopic = "aiy/fr/announce"
username = "mqttUserName"
password = "mqttPassword"
lwtTopic = "aiy/fr/lwt"
lwtMsg   = "family room aiy is down"
host     = "mqttBrokerAddress"
port     = 1883

def onMessage(client, userdata, msg):
    print(str(msg.payload))
    aiy.audio.say(str(msg.payload)) # use the AIY TTS to speak the message

def onConnect(client, userdata, flags, rc):
    client.subscribe(announceTopic)

def onDisconnect(client, userdata, rc):
    """Do nothing"""

I just put this at the top of the file just below the imports. There is probably room for improvement here. For example, I’m pretty sure that if the broker goes down this script will need to be restarted because I don’t have the code in place to reconnect properly (I could be wrong on that and the client handles that, I’ve not tested it yet).

On the OH side I just have

String aAnnounce "Radio Announce" { mqtt=">[mosquitto:aiy/fr/announce:command:*:default]" }

However, I have turned this feature off. To quote my wife, “I don’t need this thing announcing to the whole house when I already get all these alerts on my phone.”

When I manage to get a doorbell alert set up I will probably reenable this to play a chime through the AIY when the bell is rung.

MAX7219 Display

So the old radio case I plan on installing all of this into had a cassette tape deck in it which left a hole in the side. I need something to plug that hole. By chance, while looking for an LCD touchscreen to fill the space I happened across a MAX7219 display on Wish. For $4 I thought I’d give it a shot. The device is a 4 cascade of 8x8 red led pixels that is the perfect height and just a little longer than needed to plug the hole.

Thankfully all of the GPIO pins necessary are available on the AIY HAT. Cut three of the pins off the set of five that came with the set and solder them to:

• 1 to the 5v hole on the hat
  • 1 to the GND hole on the hat
  • 1 to the CEO hole on the hat
  • the remaining two to the MOSI and CLK holes on the hat.

The attach the wires to:

MAX7219 AIY HAT
VCC 5V
GND GND
DIN MOSI
CS CEO
CLK CLK

Then follow the instructions here to install the libraries necessary to run the display. I noticed that when the RPi first started up after wiring up the MAX7219 it barely had enough power to keep running as the display lit up all the LEDs at full brightness. However, once you run the demo the MAX7219 appears to draw little enough power to not require a separate power supply under normal usage. If you run into problems though, you can adjust the brightness level so it sucks up less power.

Once I got the demo to work (NOTE: -90 orientation was the trick for the particular device i received) I added the following code to the script:

from luma.led_matrix.device import max7219
from luma.core.interface.serial import spi, noop
from luma.core.legacy import show_message
from luma.core.legacy.font import proportional, CP437_FONT

serial = spi(port=0, device=0, gpio=noop())
device = max7219(serial, cascaded=4, block_orientation=-90)
msg = "Starting up..."
print(msg)
show_message(device, msg, fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

Added near the top. Then I added show_message to each of the functions that implement “do this” functions and other sections of process_event to gets some visual feedback on what the script is doing. For example:

show_message(device, 'Thinking', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

Lessons Learned

• Google Assistant commands will take precedence over custom commands. So, for example, “Shutdown” can’t be used because that is a command Google Assistant recognizes and you will get a response that power controls are not yet supported on this device. It is not yet clear to me whether Assistant Shortcuts takes precedence over custom commands too, but I suspect the answer is yes.
  • The Voice HAT cannot recognize the “OK Google” hot word while the speaker is playing. If you want to use the same speaker to play media you will need to include the button trigger and stop playing the media when the button is pressed.I’m hoping when I put this into the case the microphones will be far enough from the speaker to be able to hear
  • The microphones are amazing for a $25 DIY kit
  • The kit does a lot for you. It will take a good deal of research to see how it all really works versus running magic scripts to make things work.
  • Ask the family before having the AIY start announcing messages.
  • I find that the script often loses connection to Google after awhile. I’m not sure why but a cron job to restart the script every 12 hours or so seems to mitigate the problem.

To Do

• generate and speak summary information about OH’s state
  • finish Tasker/AutoRemote control of the audio controls
  • refactor the Python code using better coding practices
  • put the AIY into its case with some extra leds, push button, and some sort of display

Conclusion

It is too soon to come up with a full conclusion but, at this point, I would say it is worth the cost to get the kit versus going fully DIY given the quality of the microphones. More to follow as I make progress.

Full Script in Progress

#!/usr/bin/env python3
# Copyright 2017 Google Inc.
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

"""Run a recognizer using the Google Assistant Library.

The Google Assistant Library has direct access to the audio API, so this Python
code doesn't need to record audio. Hot word detection "OK, Google" is supported.

The Google Assistant Library can be installed with:
    env/bin/pip install google-assistant-library==0.0.2

It is available for Raspberry Pi 2/3 only; Pi Zero is not supported.
"""

import logging
import sys
import subprocess
import requests
import paho.mqtt.client as mqtt

import aiy.assistant.auth_helpers
import aiy.audio
import aiy.voicehat
from google.assistant.library import Assistant
from google.assistant.library.event import EventType

from luma.led_matrix.device import max7219
from luma.core.interface.serial import spi, noop
from luma.core.legacy import show_message
from luma.core.legacy.font import proportional, CP437_FONT

serial = spi(port=0, device=0, gpio=noop())
device = max7219(serial, cascaded=4, block_orientation=-90)
msg = "Starting up..."
print(msg)
show_message(device, msg, fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

# Config Parameters
autoremote_url = "https://autoremotejoaomgcd.appspot.com/sendmessage?key=APA91bERqJRCIQ5oSDhPxaxC-EwyG_xRgJpO_d3BtzvVzFh1mZkCzS6nCWPUw1czYRuuOtC49XvBx6wP7lpq2dnfEPBDNhkz3GOu7fwWeGMQDnQp4nrzbyBPTHe1oOz6p1rdh-mnuQ4S&message="

# MQTT
announceTopic = "aiy/fr/announce"
username = "rich"
password = "hes10d27"
lwtTopic = "aiy/fr/lwt"
lwtMsg   = "family room aiy is down"
host     = "argus.koshak.net"
port     = 1883

def onMessage(client, userdata, msg):
    print(str(msg.payload))
    aiy.audio.say(str(msg.payload))

def onConnect(client, userdata, flags, rc):
    client.subscribe(announceTopic)

def onDisconnect(client, userdata, rc):
    """Do nothing"""

client = mqtt.Client("radio")
client.on_connect = onConnect
client.on_disconnect = onDisconnect
client.on_message = onMessage
client.username_pw_set(username, password)
client.will_set(lwtTopic, lwtMsg, 0, False)
client.connect(host, port, 60)
client.loop_start()

logging.basicConfig(
    level=logging.INFO,
    format="[%(asctime)s] %(levelname)s:%(name)s:%(message)s"
)

def power_off_pi():
    aiy.audio.say('Goodbye!')
    show_message(device, 'Goodbye!', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))
    subprocess.call('sudo shutdown now', shell=True)

def reboot_pi():
    aiy.audio.say('See you in a bit!')
    show_message(device, 'Rebooting', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))
    subprocess.call('sudo reboot', shell=True)

def autoremote(message):
    r = requests.get(autoremote_url+message)
    show_message(device, 'Autoremote', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def openhab_command(item, state):
    url = 'http://argus.koshak.net:8080/rest/items/'+item
    headers = {'Content-Type': 'text/plain',
               'Accept':       'application/json'}
    r = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=state)
    if r.status_code == 200:
        aiy.audio.say('Command sent')
        show_message(device, 'Command sent', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))
    elif r.status_code == 400:
        aiy.audio.say('Bad command')
        show_message(device, 'Bad command', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))
    elif r.status_code == 404:
        aiy.audio.say('Unknown item')
        show_message(device, 'Unknown Item', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))
    else:
        aiy.audio.say('Command failed')
        show_message(device, 'Command failed', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def play_pandora():
    aiy.audio.say('Playing some Pandora')
    autoremote("play%20pandora")
    show_message(device, 'Pandora', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def play_google_music():
    aiy.audio.say('Playing some Google Music')
    autoremote("play%20google%20music")
    show_message(device, 'Google Music', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def stop_music():
    aiy.audio.say('Stopping the music')
    autoremote("stop%20music")
    show_message(device, 'Stopping music', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def volume(direction):
    aiy.audio.say('Volume ' + direction)
    autoremote("volume%20"+direction)
    show_message(device, 'Music volume '+direction, fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

def process_event(assistant, event):
    status_ui = aiy.voicehat.get_status_ui()
    if event.type == EventType.ON_START_FINISHED:
        if sys.stdout.isatty():
            print('Say "OK, Google" then speak, or press Ctrl+C to quit...')
            show_message(device, "Ready", fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

elif event.type == EventType.ON_CONVERSATION_TURN_STARTED:
        status_ui.status('listening')
        show_message(device, "Listening", fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

elif event.type == EventType.ON_RECOGNIZING_SPEECH_FINISHED and event.args:
        print('You said:', event.args['text'])
        if text == 'do this power off':
            power_off_pi()
        elif text == 'do this reboot':
            reboot_pi()
        elif text == 'do this play pandora':
            play_pandora()
        elif text == 'do this play google music':
            play_google_music()
        elif text == 'do this stop music':
            stop_music()
        elif text == 'do this volume up':
            volume("up")
        elif text == 'do this volume down':
            volume("down")
# No longer needed with Official Google Assistant Support, kept for reference
#        elif text == 'do this lights on':
#            assistant.stop_conversation()
#            openhab_command("gLights_ALL", "ON")
#        elif text == 'do this lights off':
#            assistant.stop_conversation()
#            openhab_command("gLights_ALL", "OFF")
#        else:
#            aiy.audio.say('I do not understand the command ' + text)

show_message(device, 'Thinking', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

elif event.type == EventType.ON_CONVERSATION_TURN_FINISHED:
        show_message(device, 'Ready', fill="white", font=proportional(CP437_FONT))

elif event.type == EventType.ON_ASSISTANT_ERROR and event.args and event.args['is_fatal']:
        sys.exit(1)

def main():

credentials = aiy.assistant.auth_helpers.get_assistant_credentials()
    with Assistant(credentials) as assistant:
        for event in assistant.start():
            process_event(assistant, event)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Ugh, this is getting ugly. I’ll need to start refactoring soon.

2 Likes

Nice write up!
Here’s what I did to “work around” some google commands:

you can define another ‘hotword’ and watch for that on the incoming request.

Example: (from yours)

if text.startsWith("do this") and text.contains('power off'):
            power_off_pi()

This way, I can say “Hey Google, do this < my custom command >”

Yes it can by using the alsa dmix plugin.
Here’s what I have on mine:
This basically enables Speaker and/or Mic to be used concurrently by any app, i.e., play radio and use Google.

You need to edit your .asoundrc. Just change HW IDs if different. You can find out the ID using aplay -l (for speaker) and arecord -l (for mic/capture)

pcm.snoopedmic {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 2241234
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        channels 1
    }
}
pcm.mixedspeaker {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 2241234
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        channels 1
    }
}

pcm.!default {
        type asym
        playback.pcm {
                type plug
                slave.pcm "mixedspeaker"
        }
        capture.pcm {
                type plug
                slave.pcm "snoopedmic"
        }

}

For others reading this, I’m not using the kit, but just a regular pi and a USB sound card. Same pi and gRPC, so should work the same.

1 Like

That is pretty clever. I may end of having to do something like that anyway so I don’t have to come up with two different commands for AutoVoice and the AIY. If my suspicions are true, the AutoVoice shortcuts in Google Assistant will take precedence.

Does it work with the AIY HAT though? The microphone is actually a daughterboard to the AIY HAT and it is not at all clear whether the audio goes through the system microphone path or bypasses that and goes straight into the HAT. I think it bypasses the the system so I’m not sure alsa has anything to do with the mic. I’ll play around a bit to be sure.

And it isn’t that it is physically impossible to use the mic at the same time. If I’m loud enough and the audio being played is quiet enough it can recognize OK Google. The problem is when the audio is loud enough to hear across the room it can’t hear the hot word over the music.

This might be less of a problem when I put it in the new case and can locate the microphone daughter board further away from the speaker, and I won’t have the resonance from the cardboard box getting in the way quite as much. I suspect the HAT has some FFT algorithms working to pull out sounds that differ from what is playing, but the distortion from the cardboard would get in the way of that.

I’ve never planned on using this as a music player so it really is more of an academic issue for now, at least for me.

Thanks for the info. It gives me some stuff to try.

It should. Google assistant python code base uses alsa. If it shows up in aplay -l, then it should work.

OK, both the speaker and microphone show up with aplay -l and arecord -l:

pi@sibyl:~   aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpigooglevoi [snd_rpi_googlevoicehat_soundcar], device 0: Google voiceHAT SoundCard HiFi voicehat-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@sibyl:~   arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpigooglevoi [snd_rpi_googlevoicehat_soundcar], device 0: Google voiceHAT SoundCard HiFi voicehat-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That’s good news.

I’ll play around with the dmix plugin to see if I can get better performance from recognition while its playing audio. I’m not where I can hear the speaker so I can’t really do much from here.

Now that you have the Google assistant, time to add Alexa there too :slight_smile: and with the dmix plugin, they are both free to use mic/speaker any time.

I’ve thought about it but I’m kind of meh on voice interfaces in the first place. My wife rolls her eyes at what I’ve done so far with the AIY so she is a skeptic as well. I don’t yet see what Alexa would add beyond learning how to work with it. Maybe as I get into this some more I’ll decide to do something with Alexa and Jarvis but for now I’m not really drawn to it.

Honestly, I’m more excited about the wood-working and refinishing involved with fitting this all into the old radio than I am in what it can do in my home automation. That is why a lot of what I’m doing and goint to be doing is kind of lame.

But I did learn one thing yesterday. It is a huge pain in the a$$ to control Pandora. I’ve tried native Tasker (Pandora ignores Media control), Media Control plugin (doesn’t recognize that Pandora is running and ends up bringing up the default player), AutoNotification (Pandora uses some weird custom widget and AutoNotification can’t detect the buttons), and finally AutoInput. Pandora only supports one intent (open a specific channel) so that is no help either. I finally managed to get something mostly working with AutoInput but it is far from robust.

Basically, I had to use the notifications global action to pull down the notifications panel then press at the X,Y coordinates for X icon in the Pandora notification widget. Yuck. If Pandora happens to be playing then all will be good. If not, whatever is the top notification will end up being clicked which may or may not cause something to happen I don’t want. Grrrr. I probably should just root the phone so I can hard kill Pandora and be done with it.

Google Music, on-the-other-hand, works like a champ. Even the most complicated things like thumbs up for the currently playing piece is simple to automate.

Added openHAB commanding and AutoRemote control.

Added section concerning MAX7219 Display that I added to plug a hole in the Radio case I’m going to use to house this thing.

I’ve been trying out voice for a while and agree that take up in my house is not great, I think the whole ok Google keyword and the fact that it speaks back several seconds later does not help. One thing I do like is the Google assistant functions such as " tell me the news/ weather etc…" Which I’d like to run either on a Cron for an alarm or just in a button, using rules.

Using the API is there a way to do this?

The AIY kit can’t play music or tell the news. It also cannot act as a Chromecast destination like “real” Google Home devices can do.

But there are other software and tools you can install to achieve some of this. For example, parse some news summary into text that you can send to the AIY device in a message and have it speak it. You can install mopidy to do music. But you will have to implement most of it.

The AIY part though is just python scripts so you should be able to do most of it, but it will take a good deal of work.

Thanks Rich - I was sort of hoping to get at the google assistant api so that I could replicate the Google Assistant commands in Openhab. I really like the fact that it automatically plays the latest news from the BBC and can also read out you events, local weather etc…I just don’t want to have to ask for this via a voice command.

Also I don’t want some computer TTS for the News. I’ve tried playing news podcasts, recording radio etc but nothing is as good as the results I get from the Assistant.

Well, AIY isn’t a replacement for a Google Home. It is a way to use Google Assistant to voice control devices. It can do somethings a Google Home can do (routines, ask questions, are you feeling lucky and other Easter eggs) but if you try to ask it to play music or read back the news it will say that isn’t supported on this device.

It also does not show up as a device in the Home app so a lot of the stuff that you can do with Google Home that is room aware will not be possible since you can’t assign it to a room. This also means you can’t cast to it.

Thanks…I’ll keep looking!

@rlkoshak, I would be glad to get your advise.

How can I schedule to reduce the volume of the speaker after 8pm and restore it to full at 7am?

A Google AIY using the script from above? Set up a cron triggered Rule in OH that sends an MQTT message to the above script to adjust the volume. That isn’t really implemented but you should be able to take the MQTT announcement stuff and change it to work for this use case.