Wired: Controlling My Family’s Smart Home Is Driving Us Mad

Yes. However our software is called openHAB - HAB like Home Automation Bus, so automation is what it’s all about here.
Control capabilities are not even required in a perfectly automated home (of course they’re still needed because nothing’s perfect).

I don’t think it’ll be convincing those people.
Too many already don’t read enough of the current docs.
When there’s a lot to read, people will at most read one or two testimonies and think “ok, some nerd, that’s overdone, I’m not willing to spend that much (mental) work” and stop.
And if you give a list of options to choose from, particularly newcomers who don’t know the old-timers and about their experience and merits will choose the most comfortable option they like best - which is usually the one not on the list but always available, i.e. they proceed like they intended to anyway because they believe to know enough to build a reasonable (i.e. non-nerdy) smart home themselves.

Point…

Agree again.
Let’s view it from your angle for a moment what is a the most basic definition of a BUS to a “non nerdy” newcomer? a single vehicle capable of carrying multiple passengers from point A to point B.
So really in their mind what is it they are looking for or wanting from OpenHAB?
The likely answer is convenience or “one stop shopping”. A single place to go and manage all the automated devices in their smart home thus making it a smarter home.
Of course those of us that are more “nerdy” understand the usage of BUS and how or why it is applied as part of this applications name.
Anyone who choses not to consume the data “read the documentation” has already closed off their mind to learning how or why or what the intent of the application is . They will still be the same ones posting questions in the form of complaints as to why this or that does not work the way they expect it too. There is not a single developer out in the real world (paid commercially supported product) that has not heard that statement at least once from a user who did not even take time to open the “help file” where the answer to their complaint was likely addressed! So taking the time to document it as was suggested earlier is still a good approach if nothing more then to be able and respond with read the documentation that is also covered…
And to the other points of discussion yes if the BUS breaks down folks should be able to open the door climb off the BUS and walk on to the destination. And no I would not want my wife opening the hood on the broken BUS and trying to fix what ever was wrong with it either any more then I would my daughter, son or grand daughter or grand son unless of course they are trained mechanics!

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.