WoL -can't make it work

Hi.

I have been trying everything, to wake up my LG tv via LAN. But i can’t get it to work. Read about it for days now, still without any luck.

I have installed the wol binding, an created a rule in paper UI, like this:

When LGpower is changed from OFF to ON, then execute following script:
{ wol=“192.168.1.255#14:C9:13:77:EA:C1” }

Nothing happens.

I tries to download an APP for my phone, “Wakeup On Lan”, and simply just filled in the IP address and MAC address of the TV, and it worked well.

I can’t figure out, why openhab can’t manage to do the same, when im sending the script?

Im a beginner at this, so a thorough and comprehensive guide will be appreciated.

Thank you.

The WoL binding is a OH1 binding, which means you can’t use it in paperUI. To use it you need to define the item in an .items-file, like this:

Switch LGpower { wol="192.168.1.255#14:C9:13:77:EA:C1" }

That’s the only way to make it work I’m afraid.

1 Like

:slight_smile: it doesn’t work like this (with a rule and a script)

You need to create an Item:

Switch	LG_TV	"LG TV Power"	{wol="192.168.1.255#14:C9:13:77:EA:C1"}

and place this item in your sitemap. When you toggle it, it will send the wol packet and wake up the TV

And how do i get to the location, and create the items file ind the sitemap? Sorry, but like i said - beginner. Thats also why i prefer to use paper UI.

I’m running the latest version of OpenHabianPi on a RaspberryPi 3 B+

Read the docs…

1. openHAB on Linux | openHAB
  2. Items | openHAB

Just create a text-file with .items as file-extension (e.g. wol.items) with the item definition and place it in /etc/openhab2/items/. You might need to delete the item from paperui to avoid duplicates.