WOL on MAC Addr Presence Rule - not consistent performance

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Rasp Pi 3
    • openHAB version: 2.2.0

Hey guys so I’m having a bit of an issue combining tasker + the WOL Binding reliably.

So the code worksss, its just not reliable.

If I run the tasker action manually even, most times it does not boot my PC. However, about 1-2 times per week it will work. Do you guys have any tips on how to debug this better maybe?

events.log says the tasker task (launching a GET request to the REST API) works fine, it is coming in every time.

My WOL item looks like this:

Switch networkDesktopPC "Power ON" [ "Switchable" ] { wol="192.168.178.92#6c:62:6d:58:2a:ca" }

Then my rule looks like this:

rule "WOL ON S8 presence"
when
    Item S8Presence_Wifi received command ON
then
    sendCommand(networkDesktopPC, "ON") 
    Thread::sleep(200)
    sendCommand(networkDesktopPC, "ON") 
end

I’ve added the sleep + send the command again just to ensure it isn’t not working because of some sort of network issues dropping the command (I do this with my mi-light rules sometimes to really ensure the command gets through and is actually executed succesfully - it has saved myself many times in that arena so I figured it was worth a try here).

Anyway, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to debug this better, or maybe another way to do this type of action in completely different, better way. I’m all ears!

Don’t use the IP but the broadcast IP:

Switch networkDesktopPC "Power ON" [ "Switchable" ] { wol="192.168.178.255#6c:62:6d:58:2a:ca" }

The Computer has no IP address when switched off…

2 Likes

Omg that makes a whole lot of sense… haha