Works With Nest - Deprecating on August 31, 2019

A few posts before this one in this thread, you’ll see that I recently upgraded from the Nest 1.x binding to the 2.x. To do this I needed to get my access token, productid and productsecret. The access token is the thing you cannot generate anymore. You can easily see the other two in your current next config, but OH hides the access token here (on my openhabian install) /srv/openhab2-userdata/.java/.userPrefs

With these three pieces of data, install the nest binding in PaperUI, click to config, click on advanced options and put these three in. I highly suspect you’ll have an operational Nest 2.x binding on the new system.

3 Likes

Thanks Tom. I just saw it. Will try tomorrow.
As far as the future of nest, I’m secretly hoping some one will find out a way to open up a local link with the nest hack and have openhab control the nest directly over local Lan. This whole nest fiasco made me Rethink my future investment in cloud devices. I rather void warranty at this point and buy a zwave thermostat then trust a cloud device again.

1 Like

Good catch! Got it working!

2 Likes

I highly suspect this does not affect the API that the OH Nest binding is interfacing.

Hi,

my Nest seems not to communicate with openhab anymore - just since yesterday. Anybody else experiencing this? Or is it just me?

Thank you!

Bob

Bob,

My 3 Nest protects are fine. No issues here so far.

Matt

1 Like

Thanks,

I’m gonna try and figure out what happend with my Nest Bridge THing then!

I just found out today that my church purchased and installed some Nest cameras, and I’ve been pulled in to make a modest security system work. I don’t have any existing Nest or WWN accounts. Some of the things I’d like to be able to do (from OH2 if Google Homes doesn’t already provide) via the Nest binding;

1. Monitor reports such as video motion detection during certain times of the day (e.g., 10PM to 7am), in order to send email or SMS to x number of people, who would respond according to whomever is ‘on call’.

2. Obtain video feed to perform various video analytics (as I already do at my home, with an example test shown here).

3. All sorts of other rules based on other aspects of the Nest binding capabilities.

Is there a summary of what someone can do at this time using OH2 without an existing Nest account? The Google FAQ page with a myriad number of link trails is not very helpful at this time. All I am able to ascertain at this time is that any overarching solution would need to be Google-based without sufficient (or perhaps any) access via OH2. It looks like I’d have to leverage Nest Secure, etc.

Yes and it’s very short. You can’t do anything. Well, that’s not strictly true. You can share your video camera feeds publicly (i.e. anyone on the internet with the right URL can see the feed) and then embed that on your sitemap/HABPanel using a Webview.

Beyond that, Nest is now is a completely walled off garden. There is no way I know of to integrate anything from Nest with OH unless you have a legacy WWN account with an app already created.

There is some work on GitHub with some Python code that appears to work by web scraping but as far as I can tell the functionality is quite limited.

I think your options are:

1. Wait until the end of this year beginning of next year to see what Google’s new API for individuals like us to use is released.

2. Send the Nests back and pick something else.

3. Not have the Nest stuff integrated with OH.

2 Likes

My Nest Protects only recently stopped communicating to OpenHAB.

mine are still connected. Check if your Nest bridge thing is still online. Mine went offline and I had to restart openhab to get it running again.

Nest is working. After version change usually it requires an additional restart, but apart of that it works fine, altough I have only Nest Protect. I have Nest Hello as well but I bought it after the D Day. So now I have a strange Nest Account with some warnings from Google in every 3 month.

I am using this and - surprisingly - it is very stable. So far, it has never stopped working or failed.To my knowledge it offers full functionality over the Nest devices and it simply works. However, I would love to have it in openHAB instead of only Homekit, so I could combine this with all my other equipment using openHAB rules.

So I found a way to get the Nest gear into openHAB. Spin up a docker instance with Homebridge, install homebridge-nest in this. Next spin up a new docker instance with Home Assistant, and install integration Homekit controller. This is a nice feature simulating an iPhone Homekit, and then the Nest status and more is known to Home Assistant. Inside Home Assistant add the MQTT integration and create 2 way sync to openHAB items, and you are all set!

Fancy creating a quick how-to… or at least just sharing a dockerfile and any rules that you currently use?

thanks

Docker Compose can be found here:
Homebridge
HomeAssistant

You would need to invest time in learning both these applications - both for installation and configuration. I did that.

Strangely my Nest account binding started working again without me making any changes.

Just read this

We’ll also invite smart home developer enthusiasts to participate in our Device Access for Individuals sandbox, allowing you to directly control your own Nest devices for your private integrations and automations.

on

Does this mean there will at some point be a way back in?

Not live yet, but perhaps some promise?

I recently needed a new home assistant. Almost bought a google one, then remembered that my Nest integrations only work because I’ve had them ages.
Went with another echo device instead

Based on announcements made over the past few months I think the answer is yes, there will be some level of support for use to see and control Nest devices at some point. When and how much control it provides is still to be announced though.