Works With Nest - Deprecating on August 31, 2019

Strangely my Nest account binding started working again without me making any changes.

Just read this

We’ll also invite smart home developer enthusiasts to participate in our Device Access for Individuals sandbox, allowing you to directly control your own Nest devices for your private integrations and automations.

on

Does this mean there will at some point be a way back in?

Not live yet, but perhaps some promise?

I recently needed a new home assistant. Almost bought a google one, then remembered that my Nest integrations only work because I’ve had them ages.
Went with another echo device instead

Based on announcements made over the past few months I think the answer is yes, there will be some level of support for use to see and control Nest devices at some point. When and how much control it provides is still to be announced though.

Tbh, I’ve written rules over the top of my Nest thermostats.
They’re now just glorified on and off switches.

On off or temperature change will probably suffice for me now. I’ll avoid buying any other google gear if I can

Just got an email with this in it

In May, Nest will be adding a new account security feature. When signing in, you’ll be asked to verify your identity with a six-digit code sent to your email. That code will be used to make sure that it’s you trying to log in. Without it, you won’t be able to access your account. This will greatly reduce the likelihood of an unauthorised person gaining access to your Nest account, even if they have your username and password.

We’ll let you know when this feature launches this month. But in the meantime, make sure that you have access to the email associated with your Nest account.

Suffice to sound, this sounds like the end

I don’t think so necessarily. The mechanism that the binding uses to authenticate with the Works with Nest API is different from the mechanism you use to log in. I’ve no doubt that once this change is made those who are grandfathered in to the Works with Nest API will still work.

Though I could be wrong so it wouldn’t be bad to come up with a plan b

1 Like

Isn’t this just two-factor authentication for your Nest account? If anything, I’m surprised that they’re doing email-based verification instead of using Google Authenticator.

Hi guys,
I’m new to this community but I’m an happy OH user from about 6 years!

I want you to know there is possible to connect with Nest account also with new google accounts, I’ve found more than a way, but it seems the simpest (for me I mean, because I’m not so good in programming, I’m more hardware addicted) is this:

Basically it’s a domoticz plugin, it’s written in python and I succesfully tested the connection and dialogue to Nest account.

I hope someone with programmimg skills can contribute to port this method to our OH platform. I’ll try to do some more tests.

Let me know what do you think abaout.

1 Like

Ok guys,
find below the Nest cloud “telemetry” to openhab after slight modification to the above python code:

2020-05-24 16:48:03.309 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Away false
2020-05-24 16:48:03.310 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Target Temperature 15.0
2020-05-24 16:48:03.311 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Room Temperature 24.71999
2020-05-24 16:48:03.313 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Room Humidity 56
2020-05-24 16:48:03.314 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Eco false
2020-05-24 16:48:03.315 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Heating false
2020-05-24 16:48:03.316 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Target Mode heat
2020-05-24 16:48:03.318 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Target Temperature Low 20.0
2020-05-24 16:48:03.319 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Nest] - Target Temperature High 24.0

Ok,
after some hours this is to show you how I had thought to do. We can launch the python script in OH with arguments as below:

script_name, RW, AwaySet, TgtTemperatureSet, CurrentTemperature, CurrentHumidity, Eco, Heating, TgtModeSet, TgtTemperatureLow, TgtTemperatureHigh = sys.argv
    # script.py 0 x x x x x x x x x	 to read Nest cloud telemetry

#			 RW	
    # 			 0 = Read
    #			 1 = Write

#				 AwaySet
    #				 1 = Away
    #				 0 = At Home

#						  TgtTemperatureSet
    #						  xx.x in 0.5 steps to send new setpoint

#																				  Eco
    #																				  0 = Shedule
    #																				  1 = Manual

#																								TgtModeSet
    #																								0 = Off
    #																								1 = Heat

The first argument tell the script if we want to read data from cloud or if we want to modify paramenters (write data to cloud), others arguments are as described in the code comments. At the moment you can control Away, Setpoint, Eco and Mode.

Hope these info could be useful for the community.

Monday update…
Here you have my progress:

In the rule if any related item changes I pass the full command to Nest server by the above script properly modified. There is about 2 to 6 seconds for the command to be executed on the cloud.

It’s fully working but needs some adjustment, ane is to implement a kind of timer to waits until all the commands are set to OH, for example if you neet to increase temperature from 18.0 to 19.0 and you tap un the up/down icons each tap send the command, in this situation you sent it two times (18.5 and then 19.0).

Only one observation, I think it’s better to avoid polling Nest server too frequently, because of this unofficial method we’ve not to abuse of it in order to avoid any changes from Google side to “block” the method. For example in the rule I “read” cloud data once each 30 minutes. At the and we don’t have to use nest data in real time… if you need to log house temperature is better to use any local device instead of your thermostat.

2 Likes

Just got a message from Google nest that their new “Device access console” is now available.
It also seems like they open it up for personal use:

Looks promising, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Yes promising indeed. I also got the mail and still have my Nest devices :wink:

See also:

There’s also an API that allows for receiving events using Google Pub/Sub. Managing access to the traits looks very similar to how the permissions were managed in the Works with Nest API.

2 Likes

If I look at the terms I think it it possible for openHAB to register as a “Commercial Developer” (5 USD entry fee) and provide access through myopenhab.org, similar to how Google Assistant integration works now. Alternative way would be that each user registers individually.

Is the registration as organisation something the “openHAB Foundation e.V.” could be used for, even being a not-for-profit organisation (@Kai)?

One thing - if you pay the $5 fee your card will be added automatically to Google Pay. If you don’t want that (I don’t), head over to Google Pay payment methods and delete it.

Hi guys posting here because today python script was no more working, as usual I’ve tink the cookie was expired so updated it but unfortunately it is no cookie problem, it seems this system is no more the way to “speak” with nest.
Anyone here using the above method? Any issue here?

Hi all
I’m testing the new “Google device access” after the one time 5usd payment and setting up the “project” I’m able to connect and poll info.

Time to integrate it to Openhab :smiley:

1 Like

Can you tell us how you connected?

You can find all the info from the link posted by ‘wborn’ user some posts above, Google has detailed alot about the steps to be connected.
If you are in trouble I’m here for help in it.

1 Like

I cross-posted this into the new thread someone else started. I’d suggest that we move discussion there so that it’s easier to reference in the future.

1 Like

As suggested we can continue the discussion in the new thread…

1 Like