Works With Nest - Deprecating on August 31, 2019

I’m extremely happy I went for
Drayton Wiser

Local control, Works great and saves money and it’s got a binding in progress that works well too

Is this thermostat available and compatible for the US market?

Seem to have a us version:
https://www.wiserair.com/
Haven’t looked at in detail but Drayton is owned by Schneider so would assume the same

As far as I could tell on their website it only works with boilers. If you have forces air or baseboard hearing it looks like they are not an option.

Is that when you listen to too much rock-n-roll and lose all of the hi end?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Sounds about right. :smiley: Autocorrect and I definitely have a hate hate relationship.

1 Like

It appears that enough noise has been made.

First, we’re committed to supporting the integrations you value and minimizing disruptions during this transition, so here’s our updated plan for retiring WWN:

• Your existing devices and integrations will continue working with your Nest Account, however you won’t have access to new features that will be available with a Google Account. If we make changes to the existing WWN connections available to you with your Nest Account, we will make sure to keep you informed.
  • We’ll stop accepting new WWN connections on August 31, 2019. Once your WWN functionality is available on the WWGA platform you can migrate with minimal disruption from a Nest Account to a Google Account.

So, those of us who haven’t yet made Nest Accounts should do so before the end of August.

Further down in the article…

For these custom integrations, partners will undergo security audits and we’ll control what data is shared and how it can be used.

So it looks like this is more of a delay in shutting down the service, not a change in course.

And it’s important to understand that Google’s vision is that Google Assistant becomes the hub. They want Google Assistant to replace openHAB.

Moving forward, we’ll deliver a single consumer and developer experience through the Google Assistant. …One of the most popular WWN features is to automatically trigger routines based on Home/Away status. Later this year, we’ll bring that same functionality to the Google Assistant…

I’m not sure this changes my plans much. It only takes the stress off needing to find a replacement before August. I think I’ve already picked one out what I’ll go with (GoControl GC-TBZ48). It’s not as pretty as the Nest or other WiFi thermostats but it does what I need and it’s all local.

I’m in a somewhat unique situation though. We got a great deal on a Nest Hello which is pretty much not-integratible with OH anyway. But I don’t really need it to be. But since it’s not integrated, I’ll probably want to be able to use the new features they will be adding over time. Since it’s on the same account as my thermostat I either have to stay with what I have now or move to the Google Account and lose my thermostat integration. I never paid for my Nest in the first place and it’s a first generation one that I’ve had for about 7 years. I’m OK with replacing it.

Yeah, now that I’m fully awake, I’m seeing more of the “transition” language. Before I just picked up on them staying the execution of WWN. :slight_smile:

If they would add a few solid features to temperature sensors and make geofencing and scheduling part of the built-in feature set, I might not care too much. But the track record doesn’t give me much confidence.

Uggh! What’s the overriding factor for that selection? Obviously not aesthetics :wink:
And I’d have to deploy Zwave as I have none… Zigbee neither.

Mike

Should a warning ve placed on the binding documentation? It would be ashame if an openhab user buys a nest thinking openhab supports it oly to find out google killed the support

2 Likes

Number 1 requirement was it had to have local control. As far as I can tell that limits me to zwave or zigbee. I have a bunch of zwave already so zwave seemed a good choice. Plus there are not many (any?) zigbee ones I could find.

That pretty much eliminated everything except for about six models. Believe it or not, this was the least offensive looking of the bunch that wasn’t black which also had the ability for me to control my fan separately. There are plenty of more attractive looking WiFi models from both Ecobee and Honeywell among others. But I was never a fan of cloud based services for something like a thermostat in the first place and after being burned by this I’m even less inclined to purchase something that requires a cloud service.

In this case ugly wins out.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s THAT ugly, but maybe I’m just desensitized after years of looking at ugly thermostats.

It is kind of weird that the range of available designs for thermostats appears to be “downright ugly”, “bland and inoffensive”, or “inspired by Star Trek”. And weirder still that ZWave manufacturers have only bothered with the first two options.

3 Likes

:laughing: you made me laugh Russell

1 Like

There is one close to Star Trek looking Zwave one.

And I haven’t totally written it off yet. But the reviews are not great. And I fear putting something completely black on the wall would stand out more than something white or chrome. What I liked about the Nest is that it just kind of blended in and didn’t make itself known until you needed it.

Given that we have a brief reprieve maybe I’ll wait and see what the kick starter one posted last week does or go down the DIY route after all. DIY will cost more but maybe I can get something reasonably good looking with a screen that looks better than a calculator from the 1990s (actually my old TI-81 had a better screen than these). I’m more inclined to try DIY with more than three months to make it work. The 27v to 5v to power it still concerns me though.

1 Like

Google just posted an update regarding the deprecation. Sounds like there has been a lot of backlash.

part of my vent/damper controlling included using an esp8266 + 8 relay board to take control over the furnace thermostat lines. using espeasy’s rules along with openhab it’s plain easy and i’m sure even more so for you. the hardest part would be making up the schedule, not the wiring. I have a 1st gen nest as well and it handles day duty and gives my wife something she can use easily but at night i handle it all via the esp.

Some good points by Paul Hibbert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zF30f7vQf0

I agree with the main thrust of his arguments but I’m not so sure about his “broken cheap door sensor” example. In his example, the connection is between Nest and IFTTT, not between Nest and that specific cheap door sensor. So he should be able to replace his sensor without trouble because the connection remains unchanged.

I could be misunderstanding how it all works but I’d take that particular example with a grain of salt.

But the main point is dead on. Google hasn’t given us a reprieve, they’ve given us a slow death.

1 Like