Works With Nest - Deprecating on August 31, 2019

ciao Russell,

at the moment I’m just collecting info about:

• Overall System (eg. green)
  • CO Alarm state (eg. OK)
  • Smoke Alarm state (eg. OK)
  • battery
  • Nest Protect Test in progress (is a switch item, ON when a test is in progress, good to avoid false positives due to test in progress)
  • Nest mode (eg. Home)

The Home/Away state is tricky, I don’t see any change even if my Nest is connected to my Mercedes (mercedes.me) and it should be “away” when I drive out of a specific range from home.

I would like to maintain the same level, also with new Nest devices … and maybe improve and solve the mercedes issue

Andrea

The HomeBridge project appears to have found a way around these restrictions. It might be clunky to try and control the HomeBridge device from openHAB but I still think I’ll try.

I was using the smoke and CO state in a rule to turn on all the lights in the house should an alarm go off. I also was using the motion sensors in the Protects as a sort of presence sensor so OpenHAB would know the home was occupied.
I had to reinstall OpenHAB and went to authorize Nest again and was unable to get to the developer console to get the pin and such. So now my Nest Protects are no longer part of my OpenHAB system until a way is found to connect them again.:unamused:

I didn’t realize you could use the motion detector, or are you referring to the Home/Away mode?

Are you going to give homebridge a shot, or wait for @Dome to experiment first? :wink:

I was not able to log into developer consol. I was forced to use my google account to log in. I have CO detector and Nest Hello.

Has there been a new working solution to get Nest devices on Openhab?

Or is the solution moving away from Nest

As far as I know the solution would be to move away from Nest since they explicitly state they will only allow a few select partners access to their products.
Anything else would involve screen scraping or other workarounds.

Well this could be promising news. Not only is Google releasing a “Device Access Program” for partners, they are also working on a “Device Access Program” for individuals!

1 Like

Based on Engageit, there is probably no hope that openHAB would be allowed as a project.

third-parties that want to join the program will have to pass an annual security assessment.

I doubt they will do the assessment for free, and sadly, I doubt OH would pass an assessment depending on what they look at (e.g. OH has no authentication and authorization locally).

But indeed, the private integrations does look promising indeed. But knowing Google it will probably be this time next year before it’s released. We can hope they don’t kill the Works with Nest API completely before they offer this option. Definitely something to watch. While I’m getting rid of my Nest thermostat I still have a Nest Hello. It would be nice to get doorbell alerts into OH.

1 Like

I wonder if there is a way to work around this using openhabs existing assistant integration. Set up a bunch of dummy devices for assistant to write to and set up routines (on the Google side) to change those dummy devices based on the real nest device states?

If I’m understanding correctly, the problem is that nest can read and change the openhab states, but openhab can’t read or change the nest states anymore.

I would mess around with this myself, but recently moved and the nest thermostat doesn’t like my baseboard water radiator system… Nest leaves it on all the time right now (no c wire from my system, and since I’m in a condo, no easy access to the wire feed points, I’ll probably set up a 24v transformer to get nest or similar to work eventually)

Can routines do that, and can routines run without being manually triggered? That was not the case the last time I did anything with routines. You had to manually trigger them and there was no way to take one piece of information (e.g. the Nest current temp) and use that value in the action you perform in the routine. But based on some of the descriptions from the recent announcements that might change.

1 Like

I returned 2 Nest Protects to Tink, due to the API thing.
See killedbygoogle for other products, that were or will be discontinued.

had to re-install openhab, anyway to get the connection back up as cant generate new pincode?
i see there is a workaround for homeassistant at the bottom of the comments here:

didnt know if there is anyway for openhab?
My connections are still showing as alive in the nest app.

Have you created backups? In particular backups of $OH_USERDATA. If you restore a backup of $OH_USERDATA to the new instance it should work I think. If not, I’m not sure what you can do.

The workaround on the HA thread is basically to do just that, restore from a backup that worked.

Hey Rich -

Is there a tutorial around on how to do that? I don’t think I’ve ever some across this before.

Well, if you didn’t create a backup it’s already too late.

If you are on Linux: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/linux.html#backup-and-restore

If you are running openHABian: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html#system-backup-maintenance

If you are running on Windows: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/windows.html#backup

If you are Mac: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/macos.html#backup-and-restore

On Linux and openHABian you can access the backup and restore scripts through openhab-cli.

Yep I sure did make a backup, who doesn’t… :roll_eyes:
Seems that after a couple of restarts its connected, don’t know what happened there, was just saying ‘Polling query’.
Back online now… phew…

2 Likes

Thanks Rich,

I guess I don’t know what “$OH_USERDATA” is. I have back up of all of my stuff in /etc/openhab2 (i.e. sitemaps, .item files, .rules files etc etc) as well as my persistence data that I backup to a separate machine daily via a cron job and through a samba connection.

Is this the data you are referring to as $OH_USERDATA is or does that imply something else?

Glad it’s working. I frequently see flaky behavior from Nest these days. I can’t wait for my replacement to ship.

There is a similar table on the installation docs for each platform.

When you run openhab-cli backup or the backup script manually it backs up both $OH_CONF and $OH_USERDATA.

To backup openHAB data you should use openhab-cli backup.

1 Like

That is not a complete backup, unfortunately.

1 Like