i’d like to motivate the idea of organising local openHAB MeetUps around the world. We’ve organised two MeetUps in Düsseldorf, Germany and Stuttgart, Germany some months ago with great success!
The next Stuttgart MeetUp is in the planning.
We’ve learned from the past events that it’s REALLY great to get to know like-minded people, share knowledge and discuss great solutions (and workarounds ;-))
The effort to organise a meetup was quite small (max 4h):
- organise a room (company meeting room, nice restaurant, warm up your old university connections, hackerspaces, etc.)
- schedule a meetup with MeetUp or alike
- if there’s no catering available grab some drinks (don’t forget the non alcoholics) and ideally some food (we had great experience with a plate of Subs (Subways))
- either share the costs or ask your company to sponsor this user group
- (optionally) invite one or two speakers for the first meetup. The subsequent speakers can easily be recruited from the auditorium
- discuss and have fun (bring some time, our first Düsseldorf meetup lasts until 1am)
- actively invite other like-minded people and let them share experience (even with other systems like openHAB)
In order to let others learn from your experience:
- share the links to your meetup
- send some pictures
- let us know about the outcome, discussion, opinions
Keep up, making openHAB THE open source smart home solution
Best, Thomas E.-E.