Xiaomi Gateway Illumination changing all the time

Hi all, the xiaomi gateway’s illumination channel is behaving weirdly (or is it normal?). It changes/updates the illumination level constantly (see below from the log) although the light of the gateway is not on. Also the on/off switch below brightness disappears from time to time in the paperUI and only comes back after stopping/starting openHAB (in basicUI no on/off switch at all).
openHAB 2.2.0 Build #1065
Any ideas/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2017-10-24 12:56:46.726 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - gateway_34ce00xxxxxx_illumination changed from 859 to 857
2017-10-24 12:57:00.648 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - gateway_34ce00xxxxxx_illumination changed from 857 to 841
2017-10-24 12:57:11.604 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - gateway_34ce00xxxxxx_illumination changed from 841 to 920

Update: I also found this in openhab.log:

12:39:27.712 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘xiaomi.things’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [2,92]: mismatched input ‘’ expecting ‘}’

My gateway sensor does the same, its a bit annoying, I’m thinking about excluding it.
I think the error you see is not connected to the illimination sensing, you should check you item file, 2 line character 92 or post it here.

The illumination value is the room lux level I believe which will vary greatly depending on sun light levels.

It’s a bit annoying indeed and I also think about excluding it as it only fills up the event log file. On the other hand it’s doing what it is supposed to do, measure illumination. If we could somehow limit it to show only changes which are relevant for example to turn on or turn off a light at a certain lux level. I don’t know whether this could be done in the MiHome app.

What is the range for this channel? (I mean, is the value between 0 and 5000 ? )