Yahoo Weather binding - free Weather API services canceled

Since tuesday the yahoo weather binding delivered no fresh forcast data. I took a look at the Yahoo developer web site https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/?guccounter=1 and found the reason for:

Important EOL Notice

The weather.yahooapis.com and fallback endpoints are being retired. We will no longer be providing free Weather API services for public users.
Please contact yahoo-weather-ydn-api@oath.com if you have any questions, comments, or interest in supported paid services.

So Yahoo turned into a paid service :frowning_face::

Werner

So. Sad. What to do? That is one of the reasons of starting my own weather station work in progress

Another one bites the dust. I opened an issue to remove the binding.

What are we goine do ? Looks like alot of this is gone come

To solve the problem I changed my weather.cfg: removed the yahoo line, enrolled for OpenWeatherMap api key, insert the key and changed location.home to OpenWeatherMap. Now forecast data are present again.

Werner

1 Like

Adiitional information:

There is an openweathermap binding in the pipeline which will be released in the nearer future.
The contribution process has already finished and the binding is waiting for approval from eclipse side.

Additionally, there’s a MeteoBlue binding being finished and definitely ready for the 2.4 release.

Info : Yahoo weather still functional as of today

With current data? So was @wseifert’s observation only a temporary hiccup of the service?

Yes, today’s data.

The retirement notice is legit, but no date is given.

EOL Notice
The weather.yahooapis.com and fallback endpoints are being retired. We will no longer be providing free Weather API services for public users.
1 Like

I find that at least for the area I live in, Ottawa Canada, OpenWeatherMap isn’t very accurate. Darksky (forecast.io) is better, but missing some info such as the wind gust. If everything goes dark, we can always fall back to national weather service such as Environment Canada’s weather service. They are not going anywhere. However, some of them may not offer proper API (parsing downloaded data), and most importantly, it becomes very tedious to offer an add-on that supports every countries.

What about a sponsorship by a weather service? IMHO weather is one of the fundamental basics for a smart home. You can get your current weather with your own local station, but not a forecast.