Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

Hello,

I’m using an Amazon Fire Tab 10 HD with Tasker and mqtt. The power supply is managed by a Sonoff Basic. It turns on <20% Batt and off at 90%. About the frame, it is a wooden structure with an acrylic cover. The cover is cut to fit the tablet.

4 Likes

That does look like good. Do you you find the tablet fast enough? Do adverts shows?

Yes, definitly it is fast enough. No i dont See ads

greetings
Daniel

That looks really promising!
I am currently building my HABPanel solution on a Nexus 10 and the lagging is terrible when loading a new page. Do you think that these POE tablets would perform better?
The 10" model, is it the Q8919 on Alibaba?

Also for the wall mounting, any specific reason you didn’t use one of the solutions they propose?

yep that’s the model I use, I worked flawless on 2.3, after upgrade to 2.4 i had some problems but they were due to the botched upgrade and not the tablet.

started using HabPanel a while ago. Installed 2 Samsung Tab 3 tablets on two floors with magnetic holders. Tried using wireless charging, but found that it was not working too good (was finding tablets discharged in the morning if someone improperly placed them (you had to be very precise :)). Removed the wireless charging and installed usb charging cable with magnetic tip (it snaps almost automatically :)) - my problems disappeared. See photos below of the setup.

Unfortunately, I have faced another “feature” - HabPanel is terribly slow. I have around 1800 items in my openhab and raspberry was not enough to power this system - I installed a better server, however it was still not enought: my main habpanel page was loading 4-5 seconds. Started checking what was wrong and found that no filters were used when loading items for habpanel and events - all of the items (1800 of them) and all of the events were submitted to habpanel and it seems that Samsung Tab 3 is not enough to process and run them (BTW, I really hate Yamaha binding with all of its “thing” updates which SPAM event stream). This is why, I have designed my own “binding” that provides “items-filtered” and “events-filtered” REST that filter items and events by a special group (Group_HabPanel) - in other words, only items and groups that have this group assigned are provided through REST endpoints. Besides filtering items in the events stream by group, I also filter by type (on the server) and also instead of default payload I provide a pre-loaded item (this way minimizing requests to openhab when event is received on HabPanel). Of course I needed to change names of endpoints in HabPanel, but that was easy to do. All in all, instead of 4-5 seconds, my loading time is 0.2 seconds now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Slow Habpanel work may be caused by many things hardware/software. At first what platform do you use for openhab? And how are you connected to your local network?

Thanks for the message. As I mentioned above - my problems are now solved.

However, to answer your question, I am using Ubuntu running on i7-4790k, 32 GB of RAM with a gigabit connection to router. HabPanels run on Galaxy Tab 3, connected via WiFi. I understand that Galaxy Tab 3 is a weak link here, but I solved the problems by modifying HabPanel and introducing another REST binding.

Do you care to share your binding and the modifications you’ve made to Habpanel? I’m having the same issues with lots of OH items swamping my Habpanel tablets reducing performance and even crashing the Fully Kiosk app i’m using.

Thanks!

Hi,

Since I found this thread valuable for myself I thought I’d share my simple setup. I had one iPad 2 and a Surface Pro 2 lying around. Started off with the iPad but since apple stopped iOS upgrade support for such old models I realized that it will not support some of the features I had in mind (like the spotify-playlister widget). On top of that I didn’t find a good (and free) solution for remote power options so I decided to go with the surface pro.

I’m not a big fan of windows so I tried to run ubuntu on it but it became very unreliable and sometimes didn’t want to boot at all. So I went back to windows. To be able to control it from openhab (control display, sleep, shutdown etc.) I’m using Winthing (MQTT) (https://github.com/msiedlarek/winthing). Running it on both my desktop PC and the surface pro and it works great!

I had some restrictions for the wall mounting since it’s a wall where I can’t make any holes or such. I wanted to be able to remove it easily but avoid using powerful magnets. I ended up making a small mount out of a piece of smoked oak that I fixed to the wall with adhesive tape.

2 Likes

Sure:
modified habpanel (2.4, changes: working with filter binding, reconnect to event stream every 5 minutes): https://github.com/arctus/org.openhab.ui.habpanel
habpanelfilter binding (create a group “Group_HabPanel_Dashboard” and add it to items or groups that you want to be transmitted, binding creates two rest points: rest/items-filtered and rest/events-filtered): https://github.com/arctus/openhab2-addons/tree/master/bundles/org.openhab.binding.habpanelfilter

1 Like

HI Acrtus,

Thanks! that looks pretty straight forward… much appreciated.
Would it be possible to post a jar file of the binding so we can easily use it untill it makes it into the next build?

Thanks!

@ysc, would this be something you could include in the next new habpanel release?
Perhaps as a selectable option, so we can choose which rest endpoint to use?

3 Likes

Sure, both habpanelfilter and habpanel jars can be downloaded here: https://filebin.net/2dqwrlf7ly9q5go1. Please keep in mind if you are running 2.4 openhab build (as am I), you would need to install gson 2.8.5 separately (you can do that either with bundle:install or just dropping a gson jar into addons folder).

1 Like

Filtering events & items on the REST & SSE endpoints is something that would indeed be valuable and solve a lot of problems - and IIRC has already been discussed, though I don’t remember where. It goes beyond HABPanel - and kudos to @arctus for this implementation, it shows how open source empowers people :grinning: - however it might be a little too specific as-is :wink: (and it should probably be a core feature, not a binding).
The proper way according to the project’s contributing rules would be to first suggest a generic filtering feature to the openhab-core repository, contribute the code as a PR so that it can be properly reviewed and nicely integrated, and then we can see how HABPanel can take advantage of it!

1 Like

Yes, you are right. However, OpenHab REST itself has already some sorts of filtering implemented (applicable to events as well), however HabPanel is not using it as well.

All in all, I was previously using Dashing for dashboards and it used a similar scheme, where not Dashing was responsible for pulling and filtering OpenHab events, but rather OpenHab was submitting changes to selected items via Dashing REST API. This was very efficient and I thought I could do something similar to HabPanel as well to tackle my performance issues (again, Yamaha binding, thank you!) and this is how these changes were made. :slight_smile: I would love to contribute to OpenHab core, however it is hard to find some time off work and ISO activities …

1 Like

Still much appreciated Arctus… Would it be possible to bundle your habpanel specific changes with the 2.5.0 version of the habpanel addon instead of the 2.4 version of habpanel.

I’m currently running openHAB 2.5.0 Build #1587 and would like to avoid older versions of binding as much as possible.

If i looked at github correctly the only changed file in habpanel is openhab.service.js right?

Sorry for al my questions

No worries. Unfortunately, having almost no experience with maven (it all seems like black-magic to me with its dependency resolution), I failed to build latest 2.5.0 habpanel (tried a month ago). Right now don’t have time to try again.

Yes, only openhab.service.js was changes, so you can try to build yourself.

No worries, let me know if you find any bugs.

Thank Arctus for all your effort

@ysc could you perhaps help me out and build a 2.5.0 snapshot based Habpanel containing the changes that Arctus has made? This would really help me in making Habpanel usable again throughout my house (currently all 5 tables crash randomly and performance is really poor due to the high amount of OH items that are handled by the REST interface)

thanks in advance!

Br

Roel

Follow the Developer Guide intro to install the required software:

and then this tutorial for VS Code (I tried to make Eclipse work with the new build system a while ago without success, but I managed to get VS Code working):

except instead of cloning GitHub - openhab/openhab2-addons: This is an archive of the full history of the openhab2-addons repo. you’ll clone @arctus’ fork or your own fork with his changes.

Then you should be able to make a .jar file with mvn clean package or mvn clean install from the new bundle’s folder.
For HABPanel it should be similar (it is in the GitHub - openhab/openhab-webui: Web UIs of openHAB repo, in the bundles/org.openhab.ui.habpanel folder). But in this case you can either build HABPanel’s .jar (the clean way), or simply clone the repo in the html folder of your configuration, and edit the Javascript source directly - your version will be in a different URL under /static/, see:

I will give it a try… thanx!