Your setup for a wall mounted tablet

Filtering events & items on the REST & SSE endpoints is something that would indeed be valuable and solve a lot of problems - and IIRC has already been discussed, though I don’t remember where. It goes beyond HABPanel - and kudos to @arctus for this implementation, it shows how open source empowers people :grinning: - however it might be a little too specific as-is :wink: (and it should probably be a core feature, not a binding).
The proper way according to the project’s contributing rules would be to first suggest a generic filtering feature to the openhab-core repository, contribute the code as a PR so that it can be properly reviewed and nicely integrated, and then we can see how HABPanel can take advantage of it!

1 Like

Yes, you are right. However, OpenHab REST itself has already some sorts of filtering implemented (applicable to events as well), however HabPanel is not using it as well.

All in all, I was previously using Dashing for dashboards and it used a similar scheme, where not Dashing was responsible for pulling and filtering OpenHab events, but rather OpenHab was submitting changes to selected items via Dashing REST API. This was very efficient and I thought I could do something similar to HabPanel as well to tackle my performance issues (again, Yamaha binding, thank you!) and this is how these changes were made. :slight_smile: I would love to contribute to OpenHab core, however it is hard to find some time off work and ISO activities …

1 Like

Still much appreciated Arctus… Would it be possible to bundle your habpanel specific changes with the 2.5.0 version of the habpanel addon instead of the 2.4 version of habpanel.

I’m currently running openHAB 2.5.0 Build #1587 and would like to avoid older versions of binding as much as possible.

If i looked at github correctly the only changed file in habpanel is openhab.service.js right?

Sorry for al my questions

No worries. Unfortunately, having almost no experience with maven (it all seems like black-magic to me with its dependency resolution), I failed to build latest 2.5.0 habpanel (tried a month ago). Right now don’t have time to try again.

Yes, only openhab.service.js was changes, so you can try to build yourself.

No worries, let me know if you find any bugs.

Thank Arctus for all your effort

@ysc could you perhaps help me out and build a 2.5.0 snapshot based Habpanel containing the changes that Arctus has made? This would really help me in making Habpanel usable again throughout my house (currently all 5 tables crash randomly and performance is really poor due to the high amount of OH items that are handled by the REST interface)

thanks in advance!

Br

Roel

Follow the Developer Guide intro to install the required software:

and then this tutorial for VS Code (I tried to make Eclipse work with the new build system a while ago without success, but I managed to get VS Code working):

except instead of cloning GitHub - openhab/openhab2-addons: This is an archive of the full history of the openhab2-addons repo. you’ll clone @arctus’ fork or your own fork with his changes.

Then you should be able to make a .jar file with mvn clean package or mvn clean install from the new bundle’s folder.
For HABPanel it should be similar (it is in the GitHub - openhab/openhab-webui: Web UIs of openHAB repo, in the bundles/org.openhab.ui.habpanel folder). But in this case you can either build HABPanel’s .jar (the clean way), or simply clone the repo in the html folder of your configuration, and edit the Javascript source directly - your version will be in a different URL under /static/, see:

I will give it a try… thanx!

Tried it… survived it! :slight_smile: And i can also confirm habpanel is now running smoothly on all tablets… everything is fast, responsive and most important… my tablets are no longer crashing and running hot.

Thanks! this should really become a more refined default feature.

3 Likes

I´m no big programmer, so i hope this will be included in the official habpanel, too.

I tried habpanel several times, but there is no real speed in it. Everything is very slow, i don´t want to use this in my house with this poor speed. Even on powerful notebooks you can see a lag every time you press a button.

1 Like

I have seen a beautiful self-made wall mount on another forum:

Link to the other forum: https://community.hom.ee/t/tablet-fuer-24-7-betrieb-als-homee-dashboard/3863/568

This is a Fire Tablet HD 10 inside. It is not very powerful, but maybe with this habpanel item filtering, it could present the habpanels very fluid and without lags. Sometimes you can get one from amazon warehouse deals for about 80€.

1 Like

Can you provide some further information about your magnetic tablet holder? Maybe a picture from the backside of the tablet? Which magnets and which metal plate did you use?

Is this white “wall-switch” above the usb-cable outlet from the wall a magnet holder?

Hi,

I don’t like all those fancy mounts, because I like the fact that I can take off the tablet from the wall real quick and use it (meaning it is not attached to it forever :)).

I am using these holders for tablet mounting: aliexpress

And these quick magnetic cables to connect (my tablets are almost full day on and wireless charging did not work properly (constantly disconnecting, too weak to charge)): aliexpress

Hope this helps.

Glad it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

And the tablet is fixed strong enough with this magnet? I bought a car holder with magnets and my phone slides down slowly…

Is the tablet moved to the right angle automatically or do you have to adjust it exactly every time you put it back to the wall?

1 Like

no, it stays strong and does not slide down (at least Samsung Tab 3 10"). I don’t need to align them very well, and this happens naturally (however it does not auto position itself). I think it is very good product for such a price if you don’t want to bulk your walls with “cradles”.

Has anyone done something similar (removing the battery) with an old iPad?

1 Like

mind sharing the jar ? :smiley:

https://filebin.net/rovaxjpqvpfcb066

2 Likes

today is day of final success :wink:

I managed to put together slim connector with normal usb charger which is powerfull enough for iPad.
As you know, those connectors are used for wireless charging which unfortunately is not suitable for constant power on usage as they do supply only around 1000mA top.

So I’ve used that connector, which is the only one I was able to find which is tiny so it’s not even visible :wink: and extended three wires (+5v, gnd, id+) to female lightning connector. And then connected regular cable to regular charger.

Hardest part is basically figure out which pins you need to remove from female connector to be able to solder your three wires so iPad is not complaining and charging properly. Because everything is so freaking tiny…

(paint is wet, but here it is)

and parts list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks great!