Z-Wave and Nest discovery?

Is there any way to ‘discover’ Z-Wave items on my network?
Trying to add in my Jasco 45712 dimmer and am having zero luck, not find any examples for this item, and none of the generic examples seem to work.

From what I can gather, OpenHab 2 can disover z-wave items?

You might look at openHABian to install on a Pi. The zwave binding can only “discover” devices that have been included with the controller. And even then, if it is a battery powered device, you need to wake the device up so the binding can query it for information.

The discovery in OH 2 amounts to the binding automatically creating Things and Channels for those zwave devices it is able to connect to that are stored on the controller. It cannot discover random zwave devices nearby.

Deciding to give it another go. While I borked my Raspbian, I was able to get my config files off the SD card, so hopefully I can get the Nest going again without much hassle.
I’m using a z-stick. So in theory, I would just unplug it from the pie and do the hole button press on the stick to add devices, and when I put it back into the pi, openhab will know about the new devices?

So I got openHabian up and running, and the zwave binding installed. Put the zstick in and it tell me its connected to /dev/ttyUSB0, yet I set that in paper ui as its port, and it tells me the port doesnt exists. Tried /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyAMA0, /dev/usb, and all three without the /dev/. All say that port doesn’t exist…

Don’t forget you will need to get a new Pin to authorize this “new” device. Follow the instructions on the wiki page.

Yep, that’s how it works.

You might need to add the openhab user to the dialout group so it has permission to read/write to the device.

I’m not sure what this means? If you click on the discovery button in HABmin or PaperUI, then it will enable inclusion mode and you can include devices into the network.

on the pi, its /dev/ttyACM0

My understanding of OP’s original question was he wanted to automatically
find and work with zwave devices that have not been included in the network
without actually included those devices into the network.

rlkoshak https://community.openhab.org/users/rlkoshak Rich Koshak https://community.openhab.org/users/rlkoshak
September 21
My understanding of OP’s original question was he wanted to automatically
find and work with zwave devices that have not been included in the network
without actually included those devices into the network.

Ok, so the statement that this isn’t possible is incorrect. In both OH1 and OH2 it’s possible to put the controller into include mode. In OH2 it’s done through the discovery mode which will add devices into the inbox.

Got it all working. OpenHAB 2 is much easier than 1. Just need to set up the Android app now.

The original OpenHAB 1 guides I was looking at were saying that OpenHAB will have no idea what devices are on your network, and you have to manually code everything into the items files. Thankfully yes, OpenHAB 2 automatically determined what I have.

Now I’m just having a problem locating my UUID and secret for use with my.openhab.org. Installed my.openhab through paperui, and I’m reading these items can be found in the userdata directory. Though I can’t find where that directory actually sits.

I think the crux of the matter was my assumption, perhaps erroneous) that OP wanted to find the device WITHOUT including it. That caused me to discount the ability to put the controller into pairing mode through Habmin or by pressing the inclusion button on the controller as an option in my answer.

See the My.openhab section of the Migration tutorial.

Ok, no worries. I think though that it is fundamentally not possible to find a device without including it into the network first - however this is done ;).

I think though that it is fundamentally not possible to find a device without including it into the network first - however this is done :wink:.

That is exactly the point I was trying, and failing, to make.

Updated nest binding through paperui to including id, secret, and pin. paperui doesn’t seem to find it.
But, I have to go to authorization url from the pi itself don’t I? Problem is, raspbian doesn’t have a gui…

No, you don’t need to go through the URL on the Pi itself. What happens is that Pin that gets generated is a single use Pin. Once it gets used once an authorization token gets created in ~openhab/.java which is the actual thing that gets passed to the Nest servers for authorization. So go create a new Pin.

Now one thing I’m not sure of is how that configuration widget works and/or which one takes precidence (i.e. the PaperUI config or the text based config).

Not knowing and just wanting to make it work what I did was:

• generate a new pin
  • add the pin to the PaperUI config
  • add the pin to nest.cfg (and all the rest if you haven’t already)
  • delete ~openhab/.java/.userPrefs
  • restart openHAB

That did the trick for me. Had I to do it over again I wold not have used the PaperUI config in the first place.

Genereated brand new pin, updated configs both on the pi itself and in paperui. Still not seeing the Nest.
Possibly of note, I seem to have no ~openhab/.java folder

Confirm that you have the Nest binding installed

The .java folder is a hidden folder. Did you use ls -a when you tried to see if it was there?

Yeah used the -a. Even tried sudo just in case.
Paper ui says Nest binding is installed, and I have the nest.cfg file in /etc/openhab2/services.
I did just check everything over again and noticed a nearly as stupid mistake. I didn’t uncomment the necessary lines in the cfg file. But even doing that, making new pin, rebooting. When I ‘search for things’ with the nest binding, nothing comes up. It was over a year ago I initially setup the Nest Developers stuff, but the id and secret shouldn’t have ever changed for any reason would they? Still have the same Nest we always had (although it was unplugged for a couple months)

Nest is a 1.9 binding. There are no Things to find. You bind Items to it just as you always have as documented on the 1.x Wiki.

Nope. They are still that same. I don’t know if the binding waits to get an authtoken until you create an Item bound to it or not. Try creating a 1.x style Item for Nest and see if that kick starts it.

Alright cool, got Nest working, mostly. Created the .items and .sitemap files, and going to the sitemap I see it. PaperUI still has no idea it exists though. Do I need to create a .things files?
Also, I thought that HabMin let you create sitemaps with a nice drag and drop style interface. Not seeing anyway to edit sitemaps now… OpenHab2 doesn’t use sitemaps right?