Z-Wave Binding..."Issues" with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 [Z-Wave] #1415

Ahhhhhh okay I think I get it now! So ‘discover’ means device learning mode in OpenHab okay… Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:. It was a not clear to me as in other bindings you have to actively add the thing…But this makes sense to me so I also would not consider it as a bug…but I have an Idea…Maybe you can put a banner in between when discovering devices on paperui that you have to click (like when you have to add the controller first) which explains, that you start the learning mode by clicking there…I think that would help a lot of people which are new to OpenHab :slight_smile:. But I totally understand if this is too much effort…I don’t consider it very important…just for usability it’s nice to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not necessarily too much effort, but there isn’t really any way to do this. The UI is for all bindings - so I can’t add text like this just for ZWave.

This is a pretty common approach though - when you click on discover, the binding tries to discover the devices - this is true of many bindings. Not all bindings support discovery, but this is how it works for those that do.

1 Like

In some bindings you have to define a bridge before using them…if you haven’t done, you will be redirected to some banner that says “include bridge” in paperui…maybe this is a way to go? -> with this option it would also be possible to start secure and non-secure inclusion from paperui…

When you add the z-wave binding, and haven’t defines controller yet, paperui prompts you to do so you know what I mean?

I’ve edited my first post with a point 5. As a possible bug if someone want to take a look at it :slight_smile:

1. You always need a reset device before secure inclusion
    2, NEVER use buttons on the controller for inclusion, especially secure inclusion. The security key is in the openHAB binding, not the controller.

I meant the buttons on the aeotec dimmer NOT the controller :slight_smile:

Okay so it’s not a bug…

1 Like

Again though, this is not a zwave issue - the UI is for all bindings. If the workflow is not right in the UI, then you an create an issue in the appropriate repo on github.

1 Like

Oh okay thanks :slight_smile: I’ll try that :slight_smile:

Would it be a possibility to send a reset-command at the inclusion process from the controller? I believe that is how Zipabox is making the secure inclusion process (the only working thing on Zipabox). I have only one working battery device (aeotec quad wallmote) at the time and was never able to make a secure inclusion with it by resetting it…it always states an X at security in habmin…woke it multiple times…

Tried that with fibaro smart implant. Works like a charm =). Thanks for the tip =)

1 Like

I think just the: “learn from another controller” and the “delete nodes from z-wave” is remaining as “real issues”. Haven’t tried/managed secure inclusion with battery devices yet…All others are just wrong usage/understanding of mine, so I’m gonna mark this temporary as solution.

edit

• secure inclusion works with battery-devices also (make sure to reset before inclusion thanks for the hint @Bruce_Osborne )

• delete nodes works with the z-stick gen5 after toggeling “soft reset” even though it is said in the compatibility-docs not to toggle it…I’ve not realised any side-effefcts so far…

What do you mean by that? The binding needs information from the device firmware that is not stored on the controller.

I mean to include OpenHab as a secondary controller to another z-wave network…this would enable failover and easy switch to OpenHab hopefully to further increase the amazing community :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hi @bf8392

To delete a node do you toggle all 3 options together?

• Set failed
  • Remove from controller
  • Soft reset

This is not a good idea. For starters, soft reset will cause problems as it causes the USB to re-arbitrate, which may cause the device to change to a different port (depending on OS). Secondly, there is no guarantee as to which order these will then arrive in the binding. You need to set failed, then set the remove from controller - separately.

I’ve tried all combinations and still not able to remove ghost nodes.
Also soft resetting did change the port on Linux.

No I toggled them one after another…for me it worked, but it could also be coincidence…tried it two times without problems -> but sometimes I had to repeat the process because ghost node was still showing up…

I use raspberry pi with dockerized OpenHab 2.5.9

Is my order correct?

Notice no mention of soft reset

This is not working for me, unfortunately.