Z-wave binding stop working after update 2.5.7

Hi all,

after update from 2.5.6-2 to 2.5.7

z-wave stop working

and network-device stop working

but all items are shown as online in paper Ui
for eample z-wave:


ping device (is notreachable bei ping! from consol! or other PC … but for openhab “online”)

How can i fix this?

Nohing changed:
Platform information:
*Tinkerboard 2GB RAM

Debian Buster

Java: java -version
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/tty96B0
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.46.0.225-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_252-b225)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu 8.46.0.225-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 25.252-b225, mixed mode, Evaluation)

cheers
stef

Z-Wave devices are not ip network pingable. They are on their own mesh network with their own addressing scheme.

Perhaps there was something added / changed in the network binding?

Can you describe what actually doesn’t work? If there are multiple bindings that aren’t working, as this description seems to indicate, then maybe it’s not the ZWave binding that is causing this?

1 Like

I cannot send orders through paperui to any zwave device for eample turninig a z-wave switch on:
Namenlos4

(thisis an eample!!! i doen´t work on any device)

lsdev /tty is o.k.
z-stick is correct implemented

In the meantime i downgrade to 2.5.6-2 !
Now most of the devices are back on function (i have now not the time to check everything!

cheers
Stef

BTW when i clear all cache as often descript in the forum and delete all unworing an deleted notes from the z-wave-stick as descripted with the zensys ZWaveController tool in the early days all these devices are gone when you do a rescan after rebooting (or restarting) openhab. Until 2.5.3 the devices aren´t delete they come up all the time! how can i get rite of these?
Background on every update i lose contact to devices and get thme only back by delete and reset to fdactory and then reinitial to openhab … and it is not only one… so after a few updates you have more unworking nodes in the discovery then new ones… and mark them unseen is ignored after a reboot

The Paper UI is only recommended for administering openHAB. The main developer left quite some time ago. I set up a sitemap and use the Basic UI for regular operation.

i would say: bullshit!

for what porpos is the “control” Tab in PaperUI

d

for what ist the “slider” ???

to maintain swizch on off Or what?

maybe my explanation is wrong…
but I’m quite shure thst the control-tab in paperUI is to,send commands or orders to the nodes!

cheers
Stef

The original developer planned for daily use and then left code no other OH developer could maintain. That is why it will be totally replaced in OH3.

Due to your post I did the upgrade from 2.5.6 to 2.5.7 now (OH was shut down for that). After the first start of OH the logs grew very fast with a lot of exceptions. I let the system settle down a while, then stopped it again, deleted the logs and restarted OH. Everything worked again. For testing I changed the state of a switch (as Bruce correctly suggested not in Paper UI but in a sitemap, rendered with Basic UI. It worked fine.
Althought a bit of a nuisance, the procedure to restart once or twice after an upgrade is “normal”. You should go through that process in the first run before considering “everything broke” due to the update. We will see, whether that will improve in OH3.

1 Like

I usually need to restart after upgrading. Some have had to restart up to 3 times :frowning:

1 Like

Had to do that once or twice, too. This time with the minor upgrade restarting OH without a reboot was sufficient.

1 Like

That is usually all that is required unless the OS is updated too.

I recently updated openhab2 from 2.4.X to 2.5.7 (then ran openhabian update)

I had to reboot 2 times (sudo reboot) before everything was fine (had android app -no comment and then zwave issues until these reboots finished and finalized.)

It took about 10-15 minutes for the services to start working after the 2nd restart it seems (logs, paperui habpanel apps were all missing for the first while in the main page)

All good.

Stopping and restarting OpenHAB should have been sufficient unless OS libraries or kernel were updated. Then only 1 reboot to insure all processes are using the new files.

I seem to recall after the update completed, it said openhab2 was not running, therefore was not going to restart it. (however, it actually was running). So i performed a manual restart of the pi.
Then my memory usage was very high, so i performed another reboot and things leveled out and after some time came back working. Not a big deal.

1 Like

I believe the cache needs rebuilding after an upgrade. Also new addon versions need to be downloaded.