Z-Wave binding: Use devices already securely included in Z-Way

I’m migrating from Z-Way to OH2. I had a bunch of Z-Wave devices thar were securely included in Z-Way, and that are found as things in OH2. The devices that were not securely included (thermostats) work perfectly. The ones that were securely included don’t. I have extracted the network security key and added that to the Z-Wave thing. But for the securely included devices I get a question mark in Habmin for “Using Security” attribute.

The log is full of error messages like this: [ERROR] [col.security.ZWaveSecureNonceTracker] - NODE 14: SECURITY_ERROR Device message contained nonce that is unknown to us, id=-62.

When I attempt to control my Fibaro dimmer, I get no response in the actual lights, and a log message like this: [WARN ] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 19: Unsupported multi instance command version: 0.

Attempting to control my door lock, the actual lock does not respond, and I get a log message like this: [WARN ] [ng.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 21: CommandClass DOOR_LOCK is not marked as secure but should be, forcing secure

Is there a way to get these devices working with the already secure inclusion? Something I can edit or do to make the binding understand that these devices are securely included? I have all the information from the Z-Way install, if that helps.

Paging @chris

I just read this OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY
and thought it might be of interest to you.

Thanks. It’s certainly interesting. But it’s not clear to me how much is already merged into the binding that comes with openhabian, or when it will be, or whether this is needed only for performing the secure inclusion and perhaps not to get already securely included devices working…

There is a link to the current version of the binding at the beginning of the article so you can download and test the org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Some of the posts in the thread refer to testing of secure connections so there is hope :slight_smile:

I have not tested it, I am using the 2.2 release version.

I’m using a z-wave lock using the Z-Wave w/Security binding mentioned in the thread and it works great for me. However, a component of secure inclusion is done in software so I don’t believe there is a way to used an existing included device. You’d have to exclude in Z-Way, then do the secure inclusion in OpenHAB2 using the new binding.

When you do switch to the new binding I believe you’ll also have to re-add (not re-include) any existing non-secure Z-Wave devices as the binding changed a lot of internal components.

No - you need to use the binding that is linked from the top of the thread, or, you can install via the marketplace (it links to the same place).

All of the “secure inclusion” is done in software - the initial insecure part is done by the controller, but the secure part is done by the software…

It is perfectly possible to use a device that was securely included into a network with one software, on another software. You just need to ensure that you are using the same key in both software. I don’t know if ZWay provides access to the key - if not, then you will have to reset, but if you can get the key, then it can be entered into the ZWave controller, and it should work just fine.

Many people have done this in the past using the Zensys tools to perform the inclusion, and then using the devices in openHAB, so there should be no problem if you can access the key.

Thanks for correcting me Chris. Good to know this is possible

Thank you! After removing all Z-Wave items and the old binding, I installed the other binding from the marketplace and entered the network key from Z-Way, and now it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like