Z-wave controller stays offline

my Z-stick AEOTEC Gen5 stays offline.
I’ve tried everything: factory reset; rights granted; searched for /dev/ttyAMA0 and found it.
But none of the solutions I’ve searched for turn out to work.
The Z-stick works normally (it links the divices) and has worked well in the past.
See below the info from the log viewer.
There are no errors. Only the message that the Z-stick is off-line.
Be desperate for the moment. Thanks in advance for your help.

2020-12-06 17:15:14.447 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:3d778252’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

2020-12-06 17:15:14.613 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:3d778252’ has been updated.

2020-12-06 17:15:14.621 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:3d778252’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2020-12-06 17:15:19.722 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller

2020-12-06 17:15:19.725 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

There are two things I would check first:

• Is /dev/ttyAMA0 the right port? Plug/unplug the stick and check which port is deleted/added by your operating system with “ls /dev/tty*”
  • Is the user that runs OH a member of the group “dialout”?

The stick never makes it ONLINE. You need to provide more information though.

What server hardware?
What openHAB version?
Are you sure that is the proper device?
What is the output of sudo dmesg | grep tty ? That shows what serial devices the OS knows about.

Thank you very much for your help
I tried the other USB port, the port result is the same see below:

2020-12-06 18:34:18.476 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:aba04922’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

2020-12-06 18:34:18.511 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:aba04922’ has been updated.

2020-12-06 18:34:18.513 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:aba04922’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2020-12-06 18:34:23.520 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller

2020-12-06 18:34:23.522 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

That group can vary, depending on OS which is not known to us.

1 Like

Hello there,
Thank you very much for your help

I see ttyAMA0 indicated as serial at dmesg grep tty
Openhab version 2.5.10-1
Raspberry pi4
How can i make the user a member of the group “dialout”?

Hello,
The user that runs OH is a member of the group “dialout” and also from tty.
I try to add the user buth he already existed.

Hi,
For your information, I have a usb-2 hub connected to my rpi-4 (usb-3 port), that worked well until yesterday…

Do you have any way to tell if the hub is working properly? If it is powered, it it getting proper power?

Hi,
the hub has no power supply, there is also a keyboard connected to it and that works well. i’ve tried without a hub before, but then the Z-Stick dropped out regularly. After using the usb-2 hub I had no problems anymore.

1 Like

Hello,
I used a powerd hub again (which I just wanted to get rid of because of the power wires) and now the usb in grep tty is recognized as ttyACM0 and also in paper UI I can select it. Everything works normally again.
Thanks for your input, double check is always a good thing, sometimes there must be a trigger :wink:

1 Like

A former manager of mine quite often used the advice “Double Check Your Work”.

Consciously following that has saved me from some potential disasters. I also realized I forgot that recently in my rush and need to figure out how to fix an issue that could have been avoided.

@Bruce_Osborne, you are right :slight_smile: “dialout” was an assumption, but in most distributions it is the right one. To be precise I should have phrased it:
Is the user that runs OH a member of the group that the device file representing the Z-Wave stick (/dev/tty???) belongs to?

Just added that for the benefit of readers that may stumble upon this thread in the future and need more precise information than I’ve given previously :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.