Z wave dead node cleanup advice

I have an Aeotec zwave controller and over the last couple of years, I’ve accumulated a number of dead nodes. Silly me, I didn’t understand some things early enough and I now I see some occasional sluggishness and anytime I restart the system, it takes about an hour and a half become the system becomes stable and responsive again. I attribute this to the dead nodes. I have a backup Aeotec controller. Is it possible to do this:

1. Backup my working controller
  2. Flash my backup controller with the backup
  3. Restart the system using the working controller
  4. Use the backup controller on another computer and remove the dead nodes
  5. Backup the backup controller and use it with my system, now free of dead nodes

Is this possible?
I’m on an RPi4 using 2.5 stable

I’ve not tried what you’re suggesting before, but why involve the backup controller? Are you trying to reduce downtime? Why not just backup the working controller and remove the dead nodes directly from there?

You can do this with Z-wave PC Controller (windows only). The software allows you to directly manage your zwave network from there to delete bad nodes which might not be appearing in OH.

Be careful though. If you make any mistakes, you may need to reset and re-add your entire network in OH again.

Here’s a mirror (free registration required) to download direct from siliconlabs. I believe the latest version is 5.38.
https://siliconlabs.force.com/SL_CommunitiesLogin?ec=302&startURL=%2Fs%2Fvalidatezwsdk%3FrURL%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.silabs.com%2Fproducts%2Fdevelopment-tools%2Fsoftware%2Fz-wave%2Fembedded-sdk.html%26ContentId%3D0681M000006WUzV%2B%26ContentType%3DSDK

2 Likes

Yes, part of my objective was to reduce downtime. It was at first a fun hobby. But although it’s still fun, as I have expanded automation throughout the house, it’s become mission critical.
Thanks for the reply.

“My Break-Dancing days are over, but there’s always the Funky Chicken” – The Full Monty

Thanks for the advice. It took a while to get all the dead nodes removed (15+). But my system is back up and running smoothly so far.

2 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t able to help with the backup question directly, but glad to hear the network is sorted.

You do bring up a good conversation though. It would be nice to have a zwave restoral process with minimal downtime. Especially with large networks and custom parameters.

1 Like