Z-wave device Error after update openhabian to Version 2.5.4_01

Hi all,
I have the same problem described by Stefan.
I have about 30 zwave devices (I don’t have ZW141).
If I remove Zwave binding openHab start correctly but when I add Zwave I got the error:

2020-04-29 21:43:16.833 [ERROR] [ng.xml.internal.ThingTypeXmlProvider] - Could not register ThingType: zwave:aeotec_zw141_03_000
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ID segment ’ switch_dimmer’ contains invalid characters. Each segment of the ID must match the pattern [A-Za-z0-9_-]*.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand how I cam fix this problem ?

Thanks

The issue has been fixed in the latest zwave snapshot release, discussed here. Basically just uninstall zwave binding, restart OH and download snapshot to addons folder.

Maybe disussed - but not
solved in my eyes!!

Attaching a USB device via a

Hub … no words!

There is an install script that can do this. I am on my phone and do not have the link handy.

The reported download link in
the discussion reports:

Namenlos.jpg

so this is a downgrade???

because i use 2.5.4

Correct - or ???

(and why not fixed in 2.5.4

when in 2.5.1 solved?)

1 Like

hi,

this is not an answer for: is

it a downgrade and why is the solution not included in all
builds after 2.5.1?

and i´m able to deal with

*.jar files

but i´m not able to read a

whole story until find wihich is the correct link… i prefer
that such scripts were included in the official intall menu
including an official doanload link exactly there!

regards

@sjheinz please check your formatting when posting, you have mixed text and code which makes it hard to read.

The latest snapshots are found here, but I only found that because of Scotts script in the previous post. The script really makes upgrading to snapshot easy!

1 Like

I guess I chose the wrong weekend to upgrade OH 1.8.3 to 2.5.4. The very first thing I tried to do was to install the ZWave binding, but I am getting the error described above. When will the fix be available in the released version of OH 2.5.4?

I tried installing the snapshot manually, but being new to OH2 I did not get past the point of Karaf complaining that it could not read the JAR yet showing the new binding as installed. The Paper UI is confused about its state, too. I will wait till this gets fixed and try again. In the meantime, glad my trusty 1.8.3 is still going strong. :slight_smile:

1. There were a multitude of changes between 1.8.2 & OH2.
  2. There were major structural changes between 2.4 & 2,5.
  3. OH 2.5 is no longer is active development except for bindings.
  4. The install script linked in this thread may help install a snapshot binding.
  5. The next release with a binding update is likely 2.5.5
  6. Development has shifted to OH 3 but it is not yet usable.

You are free to stay ion 1.8.3, of course, but you are just delaying an inevitable upgrade when you get a device not supported bu those bindings.

Never. Please remember that released versions are exactly that - released. They can never change, so 2.5.4 will always be exactly the same and you will need to wait until 2.5.5.

1 Like

Staying back on 1.8.3 is not going to help much though. Any upgrade from that old will be painful.

Thank you, Chris. I will wait for 2.5.5. Any idea when it is likely?

Possibly 2 or 3 weeks. The releases are done approximately monthly.

1 Like

…which is why I was hoping to upgrade to 2.5.4 but I got immediately smacked down with the broken ZWave binding—as per the rest of this thread. For clarity: I did not even attempt an upgrade. All I did was a clean install, nothing migrated, put in my Aotec Gen5 stick, install ZWave, and this error. Seeing a variety of UIs all disagreeing with each other and Karaf about it did not help. As I said, I chose the wrong weekend.

Put the stick back into 1.8.3 and it runs beautifully again: 30+ zwave devices, 40 or so Hue, Sonos, Harmony, RFXCOM, Homekit/Siri and ca 1500 lines of rules. Never really breaks, but requires an occasional reboot. I suppose part of the problem with OH2 is that it is still being developed, so things will break and change. I much prefer stability, and that usually means older software. I suppose once OH 3 becomes the thing, OH 2 will be just fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

Development has stopped on openHAB2, except for bindings. They are working on openHAB3.

1 Like

I have this device error during startup of OH: Could not register ThingType: zwave:aeotec_zw141_03_000. Since this problem exists I wouldn’s say that the zwave network is instable, but it has strange stops. I have 100+ devices in the network. Here is a log aboud binding restarts when controller become offline:
zwave_faliure.log (37.6 KB)
I have tried to update binding to snapshot, but I had to turn on Zigbee what caused other issues, so I turned off. Then I tried to update with

bundle:update org.openhab.binding.zwave 'https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-snapshot-local/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.5.5-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.5.5-20200427.172229-4.jar'

order with several versions but it would became worse. So I mereged back to my actual version: openHAB 2.5.5 Build #100. I had #104 before and behaviour was the same.

This issue will not impact the binding at all. It is solely an issue with one of the XML files being incorrectly formatted.

I see the following error in your log -:

2020-05-02 19:21:02.033 [WARN ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

I think this comes from your OS - it means there was some sort of exception in the serial driver, but I don’t think it’s related directly to the binding, and it’s certainly not related to the XML error.

I use windows 10 pro and java:
java version “1.8.0_231”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_231-b11)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.231-b11, mixed mode)
Aeotec Z USB Stick on COM2 port

Ok - thanks. I’m not sure how that makes any difference though :confused: ?