Z-Wave Devices not executing commands

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Synology NAS DSM216+II (Intel Celeron 3060)
    • Java Runtime Environment: java11 (openHab running inside docker container)
    • openHAB version:3.4.2
  • Issue of the topic: Smart home system runs perfectly for some weeks. Then from one day without any changes, commands are not anymore processed by all devices (plugs, roller shutters). No error messages in the logs. Events by battery devices (e.g. window contacts, motion sensors) are still received.
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Configuration of one of the affected devices (Fibaro Wall Plug, Fibaro Roller Shutter 2)
Switch g_switch_wall_plug_1 "Switch" <switch> (group_wall_plug_office)["Switch"] {channel="zwave:device:gid_zwave_bridge:node9:switch_binary"}
Rollershutter g_rollershutter_lr_side_control "Control" <blinds> (group_roller_shutters, group_rollershutters_lr_side) ["Control"]{channel="zwave:device:gid_zwave_bridge:node3:blinds_control"}
Rollershutter g_rollershutter_lr_right_control "Control" <blinds> (group_roller_shutters,group_rollershutters_lr_right) ["Control"]{channel="zwave:device:gid_zwave_bridge:node6:blinds_control"}
Rollershutter g_rollershutter_lr_left_control "Control" <blinds> (group_roller_shutters,group_rollershutters_lr_left) ["Control"] {channel="zwave:device:gid_zwave_bridge:node5:blinds_control"}
  • Configuration of Controller (Aoetec Z-Wave Stick Gen5):
    UID: zwave:serial_zstick:gid_zwave_bridge
    label: Z-Wave Serial Controller
    thingTypeUID: zwave:serial_zstick
    configuration:
    controller_softreset: false
    security_networkkey: *****
    security_inclusionmode: 1
    controller_sisnode: 1
    controller_maxawakeperiod: 10
    controller_sync: false
    controller_master: true
    inclusion_mode: 2
    port: /dev/ttyACM0
    controller_wakeupperiod: 3600
    controller_exclude: false
    heal_time: 2
    controller_inclusiontimeout: 30
    controller_hardreset: false

• If logs where generated please post these here using code fences: see attachment
    zwave.log (816.0 KB)

I uploaded your logs to the Z-Wave Log Viewer here: https://opensmarthouse.org/utilities/logviewer/zwave/

You can see that you are still receiving valid information, so I at least would think that you don’t have an issue with the Z-Wave network per-se.

What is striking that once can not see any item update in the logs, only Z-Wave activity which is strange (or did you filter the logs somehow?)

Do you have any other smart device that is not using Z-Wave that receives updates on items or to which you can send commands successfully?

I guess you already tried restarting openHAB already?

To me it looks like messages are jammed up, especially the secure nodes (over 500+ in the queue). Why are there so many (11,12,13,15,17,18,24,25,26)? and the non-secure queue is over 150+ waiting. Lastly it seems like the last heal is in various stages of completion for many of the nodes. As noted above you could try to restart the zwave binding bundle:stop xxx bundle:start xxx in the console and disable the heal for a few days to see if anything clears up. Lastly are all the nodes in the log functional?

Thanks for the hints. I have indeed 26 z-Wave nodes in my network.

After Restarting OpenHAB it is working again.

I experienced similar behavior in the past that commands were not processed anymore after OpenHAB was running for some weeks. The question is: what could be the reasons why messages are queuing up without being processed? Any hints?

Hard to say. From the log above, the zstick never sends a Transmit and just continues to queue messages. Possibly a log file after a restart (or while things are still working) might show how it gets overwhelmed in the first place. I don’t have any devices added securely, but from the documentation secure devices contribute to traffic and might be a factor.
Secure

you are swamping the network. Check all your nodes and make sure they are not reporting at an excessively high rate. There is no point reporting temperature or humidity every 30 seconds and such. Like Bob said, watch the log before things go south. Watch for ‘chatty’ nodes.

This as well. I forget what Chris said but it is like 5 times the traffic compared to non-secure nodes. Don’t securely include anything that doesn’t need security. So locks and stuff only.