I am seeking advice about how to extend my Z-Wave mesh to an outbuilding. I have tried various approaches but so far without success.
- My outbuilding is about 10 metres (only) from the house
- The outbuilding contains one Fibaro FGK101 to monitor a deep freeze
- The house is built mainly of brick, but has a zinc clad back extension
- The back french doors are triple glazed, with energy (metal) film coating
- I tried adding extra ZWave devices at various places as boosters (see below)
The extra devices that I have tried as boosters are as follows…
- Aeotec smart plug ZW096 (two different units)
- Fibaro FGS223 switch
- Aeotec ZW117 range extender
- Aeotec DSD137 range extender
I have tried placing all of these extra devices in all possible combinations in various places a) at the back of the house (behind the brick wall), b) at the back of the house behind the french door, and c) inside the outbuilding. But so far I have not found a combination that works reliably.
The closest that I got so far to success is using the Aeotec DSD137 range extender (on its own). It does connect to the FGK101 monitor, but not reliably. I tried the DSD137 in the house and the ZW117 in the outbuilding but that doesn’t improve anything.
So I think I need something with a bit more “oomph” to get through. => Any suggestions?
Alternatively, I do have wi-fi in the outbuilding, (no problem for that to get through), so perhaps there is some solution where I could piggy back on the wifi to get the ZWave signal through?