Z-Wave scenes (with Fibaro fgr-223

Hello everyone,

I have seen in the documentation for my Fibaro fgr-223 roller shutter controller that it has something called scenes, that are activated by clicking the hardware buttons multiple times. The manual does not tell me much more though:

The parameters are available in Paper UI

Then there is a channel called Scene Number.

What I want to achieve is that on any rollershutter in the living area I can double press the S1 button and then all the rollershutters in the living area go up. (Same with down for the S2 button). Am I on the right track that that is possible with scenes? How do I do that?

an entry in items such as

Number Szenenschalter_Saeule "Szenenschalter SĂ€ule Essen/Wohnen"            <switch>        (Szenen)                                        { channel="zwave:device:dddxxxxx:node59:scene_number" }

and a rule

rule "Saeule doppelt"
when
        Item Szenenschalter_Saeule received update 24
then

Ok, I have set parameter 40 and 41 to 2, which means that sending of scene id for a double click is activated. I have also defined an item as number and linked the channel scene_number to it. With the first double click the value of that item went from undefined to 1, so something is happening. But no matter what I do now, double click S1, S2, moving the rollershutter by command or button, the value stays at 1.
What are the possible values that scene_number can have?

The values from the manual (15, 
 like 25 for a double-click IIRC). So either you misconfigured something or maybe you need to restart or reset the device.

The Fibaro documentation on this isn’t great. I had to poke at it a bit to see how it actually works.
I’ll post my notes here because this is the post that came up when I was looking for these answers.

—snip—
-Fibaro scenes behave differently depending which mode the switch is in (e.g. toggle switch mode, vs momentary contact mode)
-When a scene is sent, the relay sends a decimal number (not a string).
Scene message decodes as: Switch number (e.g. 1 or 2 for S1 or S2) followed by ‘.’ followed by the event type 0,1,2,3,4
Scene modes below send scenes which decode as follows:
4 - (1.4) triple ‘tap’ (momentary contact) or triple state change (toggle mode)
2 - (1.3) double ‘tap’ (momentary contact) or double state change (toggle mode)
8 - (1.2) state change, ending/holding CLOSED (not available in toggle switch modes)
8 - (1.1) state change, ending/holding OPEN (not available in toggle switch modes)
1 - (1.0) momentary contact starting and ending open (momentary contact mode) or ANY state change in toggle mode.
-NOTE:
-When operating in “toggle switch” mode (param 20, mode 2, i.e. change of state mode), a scene ‘double press’ is equivalent to single on/off cycle. IOW two strokes of the toggle switch (e.g. up, followed by down), NOT TWO complete switch cycles (i.e. not two full on/off cycles).
-Whereas ‘double press’ scene while in toggle mode is the SAME action used to change the light state without changing the toggle position (e.g. also used to reset a toggle switch to the DOWN position when the light is OFF’) ‘double-press’ scene it is of limited utility when running the relay in toggle mode.
-Whereas ‘triple press’ in toggle mode also changes the position of the toggle and the state of the light (as one normally does), it ends up being an intuitive action (to end-users) to use a particular toggle switch (using triple press) to turn on/off the light itself AND the rest of the lights in a logical group to which it belongs (e.g. this outside light and ALL OTHER of the outside lights)

1 Like

Hi @karlfife,
Did you manage to get this working?
I’m transition my home automation from Smartthings to OH.
Already have a few items on OH, but main lighting automation stuff is ST.

I would like to use either a Fibaro Dimmer (FGD-212) or Roller Shutter (FGR-222) as a switch controller.
I have both spare & like that they have S1 & S2 inputs.
My plan is to connect one of these (whichever would work) to a centre off momentary switch.
When the switch is released, it returns to the centre position.
My aim is to have different functionality based on number of clicks of S1 and S2 to trigger various functions.

Thanks,
Declan.

Yes, it works.
I’m in ‘toggle switch’ mode on my Fibaro devices, so (per my post), I effectively have just one usable scene per ‘S’ input, which works fine for my application.

My scene also happens to include taking action on the related Q output, so that works fine for me too. However, if your goal is to decouple the logic of your S inputs from the Q outputs, I believe this can NOT be done in the existing firmware. You may not care about that if you’re only using the module to send scenes (i.e. because the device is an idle spare for you).

Otherwise, if your goal is to ADD a scene control ‘lever’ to a junction box that already has (or needs to have) ‘regular’ switch/relay functions, you may look into the Heltun Relay Swtich Quinto HE-RS01. The Quinto has 5 inputs and 5 outputs in a single relay module that’s only slightly larger than the Fibaro. Thus everything can fit neatly into one box without excess wiring complexity

I recently bought the HE-RS01 and paired it to my Z-Wave network, and can control it in OH, but it’s not yet in
 ‘production’, nor have I played with its scene features(s) yet, so I can’t speak to that.

FYI: The Quinto is commonly only sold in EU frequencies, but that can be changed to ANY region in firmware (because it uses the 700 series chipset),
The change is done in firmware using SilLabs PC controller, but can also be done by the Heltun seller if you ask nicely.

Thanks @karlfife.
The outputs of the Fibaro device are unconnected so I don’t care about decoupling.
I really just want to have a powered physical switch that anyone can access.
I have a few zwave remotes but find them a bit hit & miss.
I have a NanoMote Quad & Devolo Wall Switch but not convinced by either of them.

Nice to know about the HE-RS01 too - I will definitely check that out

Thx,
Declan

1 Like