Z-wave sensor switching between C and F

What’s your Item definition? Is it Number? Or Number:Temperature?

The device does seem a little confused about what country it is in :wink: Anyway it should not matter on the UI or your charts with the metadata addition. I was a little confused by the data. Is it still jumping around after the change I suggested or is this just log information? As noted by @jswim788 if it is number:temperature it should be adjusted by OH.

If it makes you feel any better this is coming from the device. Probably more than you wanted to know: The key byte is the last in the string 31 05 01 (2A or 22). 2A =001/01/010 whereas 22 is 001/00/010. There are three numbers combined, the first three is the “precision” 1 means there is one decimal point. The next two are the scale 01 =F and 00= C and the last three tell how many bytes the value has (in this case 2). So 02 C4 = 708 or 70.8 F.

Lastly, the poll (get) is how frequently you have the device polled (and wake if not powered). With battery devices I only poll and wake once a day to save battery. The unsolicited temperature from the device is how you set the parameters. I have one hour reporting on the ZSE11 because it is on USB and on the ZSE 44 I have 2 degrees F (Params 3 &13).

Great insight into the ZWave protocol. Strange that multiple devices from multiple vendors all report this way. I guess it doesn’t matter if there is a work around that takes care of it. Fingers crossed this will continue to work - I haven’t seen any issues since making the change. It is seemingly random so I am not celebrating for a few more days.

For completeness I changed all of the temperature items from the old version below to the new version below to account for Units of Measurement. I use file definitions so below is a line out of my .items file.

Old

Number TempSensor1_Temp    Temp Sensor 1 Temp"  {channel="zwave:device:62040e4e49:node29:sensor_temperature"}		

New

Number:Temperature TempSensor1_Temp    Temp Sensor 1 Temp [%.1f ºF]"  {channel="zwave:device:62040e4e49:node29:sensor_temperature"}		
1 Like

I can confirm after a few weeks this change has worked and I haven’t seen any dips since.

One issue that people should be aware of is when you make this change rules don’t work the same for these items and will need to be reworked. The wife didn’t like the 541 degree Temprature setting for the furnace. Lucky the T6 ignores these types of requests. See the attached post on details