Z-Wave Stick Migration (via Z-Wave "Controller Shift" feature)

Just to explain the confusion:

Yesterday I tried to follow your receipe. (Going from gen2 to Gen5)
That went well, I added the Gen5 as second controller, shifted to the Gen5, made it SUC and reset the Gen2.
So far so good, I had a new Primary on the gen5 but on node 134.
The I tried to add the reset gen2 to the network again to free Node 1 but instead of getting a new node it got included as node 1 again.
This was odd but I realized that resetting the Gen2 didn’t geneate a new homeiD. So it got added to node 1 again.
The I tried to shift back to node one. With that shift, I lost the SUC information in the networ and I couldn’t get another Shift because the button was greyed out from that time on.
I then manage to patched the backup I could make from the Gen5 SUC,Secondary again. That pached backup is restored to the UZB.
I then could use CreateNewPrimary on the UZB to get at least a Primary Controller again.
That’s where I am now…

To me, this sounds like the S2 was never actually reset. I don’t have one, so don’t know the procedure. But sounds like you’re passed that anyhow. :wink:

Does 134 have both SUC and SIS? And are both the zstick and s2 unplugged? What’s Node 2?

No the UZB Node 134 doesn’t have SIS, it shows as SUC, RealPrimary, OtherNetwork.
When I try to set SIS as well, IO get an error: SetSuc return value = SucSetFailed…

Nevertheless my main problem is: What buttons should I press to replace node 1
I got it failed, pressed “replace failed node” I get a Dialogbox Waiting for…"
What should I do with the Gen5 stick in that stage?
Pressing “start learn controller mode” only results in the sticks not communicating.
I deleted Node 2.

In looking back at the steps in my post, this is not very clear. The easiest way would be to press the button while it is unplugged, which puts it into inclusion mode and will join it to the network. But without an SIS, I don’t see how you can successfully include anything.

Hi Scott,

I did it!!
Thanks for your help.
What I did:
I deleted Node 1 and Node 2 using the “delete failed node” button on the UZB.
Then I made a backup of that stage.
To get my Gen5 sick to node 1 I did the following:

1. Open the backup file in a HEX editor.
  2. Changed the Byte on address 0x1fc8 to 0xE8 which is 232
    (That cell holds the last given Node ID so the next node will get a 1)
  3. Wrote the patched backup back to the UZB stick
  4. Put the reset Gen5 into another instance of the Zensys tool
  5. Pressed the “Start Learn mode” on the controller tab of he gen5
  6. Press the “Add Node” button und the UZB Zensys Tool.
  7. The network get transferred, the new Node of the Gen5 is now 1 !
  8. Press the shift button on the UZB Zensys Tool
  9. Primary is shifted to the Gen5

I am happy!
Thanks again for your help.
Have a nice Easter Weekend!
Cheers
Wilhelm

1 Like

Excellent! I’ve looked into a backup file with a hex editor, but never had the nerve to save any changes! I hope you have a great Easter weekend too!

I was able following the Aeotec support instruction ot migrate the Z-Wave network from my old Veralite to an S2 stick, using their backup tool, so I think the backup tool is now compatible with the S2 stick.

1 Like

So for those of us with Linux systems (can’t use Zensys tools), is the following procedure still the only one available to us?

1. Capture thing configuration information
  2. Exclude all devices
  3. Include all devices with Gen5 Zstick
  4. Plug in Gen5 Zstick to USB and assign to Node 1 (not sure how to do that)
  5. Re-enter configuration information for each thing (and item?)

I’ve seen Rule for deleting and rediscovering Things , though with only 13 devices, I’d rather not take the chance of really munging things up due to my limited OpenHab skills.

Domoticz and Open Zwave have controller shift functionality. OH currently does not.

That rule is totally different. It is for updating the Thing definitions after upgrading the zwave binding. Deleting Things is not the same as exclusion.

It is best to do the inclusion of devices using OH, while they are in their final location.

You can’t assign nodes on an Aeon gen5 zstick. The controller manages that all on its own.

With 13 devices, I suggest resetting the stick and starting fresh.

1 Like

I have built OpenZwave in the past, though it took a bit of tweaking at the code level for it to compile and build correctly, and I’d rather not have to go through that again. I’m running Deb 9 (Ubuntu 16.04) and there currently isn’t a package for anything above Deb 8 (which won’t load correctly). Don’t currently know Domoticz, and would rather not go through a learning curve for yet one more thing.

So to manually go from my S2 to a Gen5 Zstick, if I understand you correctly;

1. Screenshot or in some other way (e.g., copy JSON file) capture all of the configuration information for the current set of things
  2. Take the S2 stick around and exclude all of the devices
  3. Plug the S2 stick back in, and then (?) to remove all devices/things from the JSON file
  4. Unplug the S2 and then plug the Gen5 Zstick in.
  5. Use Habmin or PaperUI to discover all of the devices
  6. Reconfig each thing per the information captured in step 1.

I’m not sure what you mean by resetting the stick and starting fresh, since the Gen5 Zstick is new.

Or the Gen5. Exclude is exclude.

No need to plug in the S2. The controller does not need to be in to delete Things. In Habmin> Configuration> Things, select a zwave Thing and press the Delete button. When done, you could also double check userdata//etc/zwave to make sure all of the zwave XMLs are deleted. Just delete anyXMLs that are left in there. Make sure to shut down OH when unplugging or plugging in a controller. The Gen5 could also come up on a new serial port, which you will need to configure it in OH.

I still like to reset the zstick when starting new, just in case. Hold the button for 20-30 seconds while unplugged.

Microsoft decided to force Fall Creators Update to my laptop and completely corrupted my Windows10. I’ve been using Fedora28 for a while now. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s possible Zensys Tools would run under Wine. I’ll need it eventually, so will give it a shot later tonight.

1 Like

I have Zensys Tools running in Wine, but it is not finding the zstick. I’ve fiddled with the Wine registry for long enough that I don’t think it is possible, but maybe someone else could make it work.

That’s very similar to Wine experiences I’ve had in the past, as apps that required hardware control more often than not wouldn’t completely work as intended.

(For reference purposes, the manual procedure towards the end of this thread has been updated per Scott’s help)

To manually migrate from my older controller (AEON S2) to the newer one (AEON Gen5 Zstick);

1. Take screenshots or in some other way (e.g., copy JSON files) capture all of the configuration information for the current set of things
  2. Take the (old or new) controller around and exclude all of the devices
  3. For each thing in Habmin> Configuration> Things, select the respective zwave Thing and press the Delete button
  4. Plug the Gen5 Zstick in, add it in PaperUI, and ensure it is set to the desired TTY port Z-Wave Serial Adapter setup
  5. Use Habmin or PaperUI to discover all of the devices
  6. Restore the configuration information captured in step 1
  7. Reconfig each thing per the information captured in step 1.

@chris669 I am trying to migrate from a S2 to S5 stick myself, but when I do a “Read Eeprom” on the S2 stick, it always fails with “Read Eeprom Error”.
You are referring to the backup software from Aeotec, right?

@higgers First off, thanks for posting the detailed instructions of your migration steps. I am also trying to migrate from an S2 to Gen 5 and are following them. All went well up until step 6. The shift button is disabled for me in the window showing the S2. Any idea what I should do to enable it?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Also worth noting that, on my Windows 10 laptop, the Zensys Tools application could not see my S2 stick. Windows device manager would show it as “CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller” and that it could not find a driver.

I had to manually install the driver from silabs.com. After that, quit Zensys Tools, unplugged/replugged the S2, restarted Zensys Tools and it could be seen.

hi, no, used z-wave PC controller, if you need the link and instructions can give you later

I would appreciate that, thanks!

Ok, I had a very good support from Aeotec, here’s the email they sent me. I followed all the steps and it worked for me.

There are 2 parts that you need to perform in this case:

First Pair Z-Stick as Secondary Controller to Vera gateway.

First, you will need to download the Zensys tool which can be found here: http://www.axialcontrol.com/zensys-tools.zip, in other cases you can use your current software to put the Z-Stick Gen5/S2/Lite into Learn mode. But for this case, we will be using the Zensys tool to do this:

1) Make sure that your Z-Stick has been factory reset. In the Zensys Tool

• Highlight NodeID 1 which should be the Z-Stick
  • Click on the X under the “Controllers” tab

1. Now put the Z-Stick into Learn Mode, and your Z-Stick should now be waiting to be included into a network
  • Highlight NodeID 1 (Static controller)
  • Click on the Thunderbolt

1. Now go to your gateway and put it into inclusion mode. As an example, the Vera gateway was used to pair the Z-Stick Gen5.

Your Z-Stick should now be included into your network as a secondary controller, and will populate all of the devices in your network.

Perform a network shift using Vera gateway:

This part i have just tried and was not able to make it work for some reason, but these would be the steps (I assume Vera Shift was previously Controller Shift so you may need to contact Vera if there is another method if this does not work for you).

1. Now put the Z-Stick into Learn Mode, and your Z-Stick should now be waiting for a “Controller Shift” command to be primary.
  • Highlight NodeID 1 (Static controller)
  • Click on the Thunderbolt

1. (In Vera interface) Go to Settings -> Z-Wave Settings -> Advanced

2. Click on Vera Shift (previously Controller Shift) which should move forward with changing Z-Stick to primary controller.

If this doesn’t work, I can only suggest reaching out to Vera support to see if there is another method or button available for the “Vera Shift” function.

2 Likes