Z-Wave USB stick not working after OH 3.1 update

I’m afraid that I’m not really an expert in this area. Serial connectivity with Java, and the interaction with the underlying OS is definitely a weak point of Java.

Sure - I understand. I’m just trying to help by pointing at where I think the issue is likely to be. If you can’t find the root cause, it’s hard to get the right people to look at it. If the issue is in the binding, then I can look at it, but if it’s elsewhere, then there’s probably not a lot I can do to help.

Could this be caused because the device in use by any other process ?

lsof /dev/ttyACM0

As you stated that you run OH in a VM I would suggest to run the lsof command in host as well in the guest.

1 Like

Running lsof produces nothing.

And I can’t run it in the host. The host is an ESXI hypervisor not a linux based one. If the host was configured wrongly the thing simply wouldn’t show up in the VM at all.

I ran lsof and openhab is the only process accessing the port. Still shows up as offline in the UI despite lsof reporting that openhab is accessing it. There’s several threads open on this subject since the 3.1 upgrade, some sending back to each other as potentially having the solution. unfortunately none of them do.

sorry if unrelated, but could still be worth a try

i had a similar ttyACM0 issue with z-stick gen5+ on a Pi4 after system upgrade around march/april (OH 2.5.12)

lsusb listing ZW090, but no ttyACM0 existing.
this is not your case, but since the related thread is reporting ttyACM0 switching to ttyACM1 and Zwave offline since months this could be a lead.

i tried every possible fix i could imagine or find online with my limited linux environment knowledge but i finally ended up restoring a previous openhabian 1.6.3 backup and ruled out an udev upgrade as culprit.

downgraded and put on hold.

it’s not really a solution but could be a hint or nothing at all.
i’m sorry i cannot provide more details or version numbers since i had to fix this as quick as possible and later forgot about it soon.

you could try do downgrade udev to the version included in openhabian 1.6.3

1 Like

I’ve had similar issues in the past. The following fixes it for me.

sudo nano /etc/tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf

Make sure the following is in the legacy.config file

d /run/lock 0775 root dialout -

sudo cp /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf /etc/tmpfiles.d/

sudo reboot

I had similar troubles with nrjavaserial and locks it attempts to create. I spent a day or two trying to debug it and solve problem without luck.

Instead I made a serial port provider based on a plain java library called GitHub - nyholku/purejavacomm: Pure Java implementation of JavaComm SerialPort. It has no native parts. Native access for Linux/Windows/FreeBSD is provided through JNA.
I implemented a serial provider compatible with openHAB 3.x which works for me in places where rxtx can’t. Please download it and test if you wish. You will need openhab-runtime-jna installed. This serial provider ships purejavacomm 1.0.3 aligned with JNA 5.4.0 which is used in OH 3.x.

2 Likes

Hi, did you manage to sort this out? I’m trying to set up OH 3.1 in a docker container on a NUC w. Ubuntu and it can’t autodetect my Aeotec gen 5 z-wave stick…

No, I have not. I went on vacation before I could figure this out. I will probably try again once I return… or even more likely switch to Zigbee since I only have one Z-Wave device.

Ok, thanks. Trying to understand what’s going on is really difficult when not being a linux expert and this seems to have been an issue for some time. I really would love to have the z-wave gateway/controller separated from the OpenHAB-server, similar to Philips Hue…

@roli did you wind up sorting out your Z-Wave stick?

No, I have not. In the end I decided to abandon Z-Wave entirely and I am slowly transitioning everything in my house to Conbee (Zigbee).

I am sorry to hear that :frowning:
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have your stick plugged into a physical USB hub, or have you tried that? Seemed to be a requirement for OH running on an RPi (but I believe both are Debian-based)…

From what I understand that thing with the hub seems to be Raspberry pi only issue. I had it plugged directly into my server and I did try a USB hub as well. Neither helped. And since I am using a virtual machine anyways I guess it’s a bit different.

I had extensive issues with z-wave earlier this year. The stick (Aeon Gen 5) was offline after restarts, it was creating conflicts with an unrelated USB serial device, and wait times for command execution were unacceptably long.

I don’t have a Windows box and didn’t see any z-wave utilities for Mac or Linux. I decided to do a hard reset which meant I had to remove and repair all my devices. I put it off for a long time but once I did it I wished I’d done it sooner.

It literally fixed all my issues. I assumed the USB conflict issues had to be unrelated, but once the dead nodes were gone the controller runs like a dream.

Hi splatch,

it is a miss in knowledge on my side but I am stuck in download the *.jar file.
I downloaded purejavacomm/purejavacomm-1.0.3.jar at master · nyholku/purejavacomm · GitHub and placed it to my openhab addon folder “Linux” /usr/share/openhab/addons
Regarding chat OH3.X Alternative Java serial provider I now should see a result by type “bundle:list | grep ConnectorIO” in the openhab console.

My problem is it will not list something … so I am wondering if you could give me a hint if i used the wrong file or would it be needed to compile on the local system?

Best, Jan

You might have downloaded the wrong file. It should be this one:

Thanks, in here might be also lack of knowledge on my side but behind the link “org.connectorio.addons.io.transport.serial.purejavacomm-3.0.0-20210705.jar” a blank page is shown. I can not see any file… any idea?

Hi, when I click on the link there is a download shown. This you need:
Maybe you have to check Pop-Up-Blocker, etc…

Used Edge instead of Chrome and it worked :pray: thanks a lot for the support.