Z-wave wall mount switch command triggered more then one time if z-wave device is far away from receiver

Today I want to activate my first wall mount switch (aeotec quad switch). It works fine if the switch is near the z-wave stick.

I use a simple rule to check this

rule "Z-Wave WALLC-S events update"
    when
        Item WallSwitch01_Scene received update
    then
        logInfo("Logger","Scene Update received " + WallSwitch01_Scene.state.toString)
end

If the switch is far away, sometimes the rule is triggered more then one time.

2018-05-06 10:36:04.455 [INFO ] [clipse.smarthome.model.script.Logger] - Scene Update received1.0
2018-05-06 10:36:04.455 [INFO ] [clipse.smarthome.model.script.Logger] - Scene Update received1.0
2018-05-06 10:36:04.459 [INFO ] [clipse.smarthome.model.script.Logger] - Scene Update received1.0

It looks, like the command is send more times to the stick?

Any idea how to prevent this?

This has nothing to do with the zwave binding, it is the general behaviour of openHAB if using received update on triggers.

But I do not unterstand this.
The z-wave binding sends the update only one time and OH makes more triggers out of this?

If this is true, how to detect an update on an item within a rule and prevent from doing the rule action more then once?

Never seen this problem in all my other received update rules. They all trigger only one time. Only if I move a z-wave device far away from z-wave stick.

If you want to work out if it’s ZWave, or something else, check the ZWave logging to see what is actually received…

There are two possible causes within ZWave - firstly, retries can happen, and the binding can receive the same message twice. It’s not really possible for the binding to filter this (reliably) as it’s hard to know if the device just sent the message twice, or if it was a retry as there’s no ID that allows this to be filtered.

The other possibility is if you have the controller linked to more than 1 association group, then you will also receive the notifications multiple times.

Hi chris,

I will check this, but it will only happen if the device is far away from z-wave stick. This leads me to the retries problem.

I do some filter stuff in my rule and filter out updates within 1 sec and it is working in this way.

I would tend to agree that this sounds a likely cause - it is certainly something that I’ve seen previously.

Sorry, mixed that up with received update on group trigger …