Z-Wave Weiser door lock (SMARTCODE 10) not resolved to a thing type

Hi all,

Running Openhab 3.2.0 on a Pi 2 (openhabian). All is good and stable (Z-wave, X10, rtl_433, MQTT, …).
But I have problems adding a Weiser door lock.

Model: Weiser SMARTCODE 10

Z-Wave scan does find the door lock but cannot resolve to a thing type.
Since it’s not resolved, NO channels appear. No items can be created from that thing.

From the log file:

Here is the XML file Node 20 from “/var/lib/openhab/zwave”
network_ec5c3feb__node_20.xml (20.9 KB)

Upon Z-wave scan discovery:

Once pairing is done, as explained and indicated by the log, the “Thing Type” is reported to “Unknown Device”. Also, note that the additional info (0090:0006:0642:4.10) is removed from the label.

Notice that the ‘zwave_secure’ is true.

After reviewing multiple posts and consulting OpenSmartHouse, I did all these steps but to no avail:

• remove the node (20), scan and pair (multiple times)
  • wait 2 hours with the door lock unit close to the Z-Wave stick.
  • reset the door lock unit itself. Pairing afterward. (multiple times)
  • heal node
  • exclude unit, rescan and add unit

Tested with the Z-Wave serial control secure inclusion in “All Devices” and “Entry Control Devices” mode.
The default setting was “Entry Control Devices”.

So, apparently, this device is not in the Z-Wave database (DB).

Q: Can it be added and if it’s the case how?

I read on OpenSmartHouse that a device can be added to the database. The feature is probably allowed for experienced users.

Q: What is the openhab process when a Z-Wave thing is being added? Is the OpenSmartHouse database part of that process or is it a local resource of the openhab snapshot that is being used?

UPDATE
After changing the polling rate of the Lock ‘thing’ from 86400 to 15 seconds, the programmed lock codes (physically entered on the keypad) are refreshed in the ‘thing’ property page (ex. code 1 is ‘1598’). Note that these fields were already there upon the ‘thing’ creation; they were just not updated/refreshed. Still, NO channels are present or discovered.

Thank you,

Richard L.

Anyone can add a device.

I’m a little surprised that there’s no Weiser Smartcode 10, since it’s not a new product. I guess we just don’t have anyone who has integrated one into openHAB.

Oddly enough, there is a Black & Decker Smartcode 10 in the database.

I feel like that was a mistake, but I don’t know if you should just add this as a new version or as an entirely new device. I’d suggest that you get yourself signed up while we wait for someone who knows more than me to weigh in on that.

Thank you Russ.

Yes. I saw this device and checked the channels and this seems that my Weiser is different (brand new). The B&D lock has “_Vx” version endpoints command classes; not the Weiser (from the Z-Wave XML file). It seems that B&D/Kwikset/Weiser do use the same kind of hardware.

I’ve just created a ticket on OpenSmartHouse to request the capacity to create a device with the XML file.

But regarding my second question; do you have any insight?

Q: What is the openhab process when a Z-Wave thing is being added? Is the OpenSmartHouse database part of that process or is it a local resource of the openhab snapshot that is being used?

I’m asking obviously to know if the newly created device will be accessed by the openhab Z-Wave scan or if it will be released in a future release of openhab (snapshot).

Regards,

Richard L.

The database isn’t used directly - the files are automatically exported and included into the binding source, so ultimately you will need to update to the latest snapshot to get the updates. Normally this is done around once per week.

Sorry, I missed seeing that. I find that italicizing a whole sentence/paragraph actually makes it harder to read and easier to miss.

FYI - The _Vx is added from the

<version>1</version>

line in your XML

1 Like

I did install and run the latest SNAPSHOT (3.4.0) and the newly added device GED2150 works as expected.

Thank you Chris.