Z-Wave/Zigbee still relevant?

you can also make another router with another cc5321
it is 4$

Sure - you can. It seems a waste as you then need to power them from mains which increases costs further.

Anyway, you earlier said that you only use ZigBee for battery devices so I was commenting that this is not good. It seems you are actually using mains powered ZigBee devices as well which is fine, and if others read your comment they just need to be aware that this is necessary.

1 Like

cc5321 only needs 500mha or sonthing like that you can hook it up to any TV reciver that is getting power

the only reason i love wifi is the abilty to put custom frimware on it

for sensors there is no point 

Because you do not trust the design engineers?? Why buy the device then??

I guess if so, then that’s not too much more than a standard ZigBee device :slight_smile:. Most mains ZigBee devices will consume well under 1W. I suspect your 2531 is consuming less that 500mA, but if it really is consuming that amount of power, that’s 2.5W.

If it works for you, then fine, but I just wanted to make it clear for others that routers are needed - you simply can’t run a ZigBee network of any size or distance on battery devices alone.

2 Likes

yep i agree!
maybe i can use one or more bulbs :slight_smile:

but if anyone wants to try
zigbee2MQTT has great docs and its real simple

i trust them but my urge ti tinker gets the best of me :slight_smile:

The same limitations are true of any ZigBee network.

1 Like

i am talking about creating a network with no AC powerd devices 

if you talk about cost and benfit buying five cc5321 for you entire home
and a couple of sensors

and buying lets say shelly for lights and switches will cost much less then a full zigbbe network
lets not talk about zwave

and if you ask me you will get more control of your home

Until your custom firmware hits a device incompatibility. OR

Somebody nearby SPAMS the 2,4 GHz RF spectrum rendering your devices useless. I have seen 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi devices knocked offline my microwave ovens.That is why I only provide minimal support for 2.4 GHz devices at work.

good point!
but never happend to me at least
 maybe its my location not many houses around me

What an interesting topic. Exactly the kinds of question I have been pondering

In theory that is true (at least when it comes to z-wave, zigbee is more open, i.e. less standardized), but then I keep seeing reports about incompatibilities even within the z-wave system so that I’m hesistant to enter the worlds of zigbbe/z-wave (though I see that I’ll probably have to, if only to get some cheap motion detectors running on battery

You’ll be happy to know that the shelly devices are now approved in AUS and NZ. Then again, if you already have the (somewhat more expensive) Fibaro dimmers, why change them?

This is a valid point. Perhaps even more importantly: is your potential buyer going to understand your openHAB setup where you, over the years cooked together a working system that nobody except for yourself understands? But then again, if that’s a serious concern, I’d go for HomeMatic wherever possible. Expensive, but rock solid and easy to hand over to someone else.

That’s also my impression (but because of price, not reliability). Though 433 MHz could also be an option for certain sensors. I bought some 433 MHz door/window sensors to see if they do the job. Haven’t installed them yet, though. IĂ€m not sure if they even report battery status, though

Edit: just came across this quick comparison of Wifi vs Zigbee:

1 Like

Not really - it’s very well standardised and very stable (which is where ZWave falls down). ZigBee has a more commercial following where ZWave is generally more domestic.

In theory both systems have certification systems - I’ve not put anything through ZWave certification, but I have seen some fundamental issues with devices that are certified. I’ve put ZigBee devices through certification so I know exactly what this entails and it’s quite detailed.

Both systems allow non-standard extensions, so both can have issues in this area (we see that a lot with Fibaro ZWave devices)

1 Like

@tophee Hi Chris - do you have any details on the Electrical Certification for Australia on the Shelly Dimmer 2 (I can’t find anything) and my local supply has not heard of this either.

edit: from my supplier

Shelly1 (relay is certified)

Certificate Search | Global-Mark

search Allterco (company name)

nothing else

Sorry - I have no idea

WiFi routers designed for the home environment probably don’t expect to have to run 150 devices connected simultaneously. Sure - you can buy such routers, but then they are probably sold for business use, and that bumps up the selling price.

This is very true, in my experience cheap AP handle about 20 and midrange up to 40 clients. I ran into that problem hard since I like to build my own sensors and LED-controllers based on ESP8266 and that means WiFi.
Just want to mention that there is a cheap 3rd way, at least for home use, if you happen to run a few raspberries you can set them up to run hostapd and shoulder part of the load. That way I run 50+ devices in a stable condition.
Zigbee for light bulbs and the nice Ikea remotes on zigbee2mqtt.

2 Likes

I always cringe when seeing words like “WiFi-router” or “WiFi-mesh” and in the next sentence anything that implies audio, video or many IP-connections.
(When I see “WiFi-extender” all my curtains goes down)

I do not want to go into the details of a stable and good WiFi here
(Out of place and my English is not good enough),
but a little frequency and placement planning will get people a long way.
Especially how uplinks to the APs should be done must be thought thru.

1 Like

Agreed! I work with a commercial Wi-Fi (Note the correct trademarked spelling) centrally controlled system with over 4000 Access Points. I cringed when somebody suggested deploying several autonomous APs, especially since there are only 3 non-overlapping channels available in 2.4 GHz.
:sob:

1 Like

Exactly! :slight_smile:
Channel auto-assignment will come and bite off a dear part of your body.
When you least expect it

Turning off 2.4ghz on every other AP when they are in near proximity is a good thing.

1 Like

Sorry, I just realize that the certification is only for Shelly 1 and Shelly 1PM. You can find those here: