Z-Wave Zooz and EcoLink Things come up as "Unknown Devices" on OH 4.0.1 - New User

I am brand new to this software and having trouble with “Unknown Device” on 2 Things (first a Zooz ZSE18 on USB power (and with the battery removed just to make sure), and second an ECOLINK door sensor on battery). The computer is a standard Windows x64 PC running Windows 10 Home 22H2 in the USA.

Per the on line instructions at Download openHAB | openHAB I installed Java 17 from the recommended Zulu builds of OpenJDK, and get the following from ‘java -version’ in a standard cmd window:
openjdk version “17.0.8” 2023-07-18 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu17.44+15-CA (build 17.0.8+7-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu17.44+15-CA (build 17.0.8+7-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

I next hit the ‘Download openHAB 4.0.1 Stable Runtime’ button, and extracted everything from the .zip to create a directory containing:

(dir) - addons
 (dir) - conf
 (dir) - runtime
 (dir) - userdata
 (files) - LICENSE.TXT
           - start.bat
           - start.sh
           - start_debug.bat
           - start_debug.sh

From a command shell window, I cd to this directory and invoke start.bat to find:

ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
       ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

But then the openHAB 4.0.1 - Release Build logo comes up and gives an openhab> promt in the cmd window.

Concerned about this registry error, I "REM"ed out the ‘@echo off’ statements in start.bat, and the setenv.bat and karaf.bat in the runtime/bin directory to track it down. There had been Windows pop-ups asking if it’s OK for a program to make changes - and I confirmed YES. Tons of lines are dumped to the cmd window with echo on, both before and after the errors, but it seems all linked to the fact that the environment variable JAVA_HOME had not been set, even though the path the java SDK had been during installation of Zule. I did this manually, and the issue went away.

Getting into openHAB with Firefox on http://localhost:8080, I create an admin ID and password, read the tutorials, and then load the binding for Z-Wave Things. Adding my first thing as the Z-Wave Serial Controller (Zooz S2 stick 700 in the USB port, which has been assigned by Windows as COM5), it appears to be recognized immediately as Thing Type = “Z-Wave Serial Controller”, and I’ve set the Port Configuration: ‘Serial Port’ to COM5 as the only option on the available list in the box. The Default Wakeup Period is 3600 and Heal Time 2 AM.

Under Things (By binding) I hit the blue (+), choose the only binding I have “Z-Wave Binding”, which shows the existing Z-Wave Serial Controller and (Bridge) in blue, with a (Scan) button up top. Hitting Scan, I immediately perform the inclusion operations for the door alarm and motion sensor (they are both in the openHAB database with instructions). Two devices show up as nodes 2 and 3, with everything (online):
Z-Wave Node 002 (ONLINE)
Z-Wave Node 003 (ONLINE)
Z_Wave Serial Controller (ONLINE)
They’ve all got device serial number listed along with them…

When I click into Node 002, I get an identifier for a Z-Wave device with this Label, but the device type is ‘Unknown Device’. The Node ID is 2, Polling Period 86400, Command Poll Period 1500, and nothing else. The Node 003 device looks almost the same, except there is extra information about Wakeup Configuration - I’m assuming this is the door alarm on battery power - I entered 3600 and Save(Ctrl-S), and a small icon popped up saying (PENDING).

Reading of similar issues on this board, I’ve cycled the wakeup instructions for both sensors several times, and have them physically less that 1 m from the USB stick. With OH running, if I hit the wakeup on either, I get into (seen via log:tail) on the cmd window, messages like:
12:55:32.965 [WARN ] [l.serialmessage.ZWaveCommandProcessor] - SerialMessage class null is not implemented!
12:55:32.966 [WARN ] [ave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - TODO: Implement processing of Request Message = – (0xa8)
12:55:36.463 [WARN ] [l.serialmessage.ZWaveCommandProcessor] - SerialMessage class null is not implemented!
12:55:36.464 [WARN ] [ave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - TODO: Implement processing of Request Message = – (0xa8)
12:55:39.964 [WARN ] [l.serialmessage.ZWaveCommandProcessor] - SerialMessage class null is not implemented!
12:55:39.964 [WARN ] [ave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - TODO: Implement processing of Request Message = – (0xa8)
While all 3 devices are clearly visible under “Things”, either as ‘Alphabetical’ or ‘By Binding’, If I hit the blue (+) to add something ‘By Binding’, then pick the Z-Wave binding, the only thing to pop up immediately is the Z-Wave Serial Controller (Bridge) and then the (Scan) button. If I do (Scan) without hitting the wake-up buttons on the physical devices, it runs to the end and finds nothing. If I repeat the (Scan), then go push those buttons as it’s running, they also don’t show up (perhaps being already known as “Things”, but actually not properly bound to the Z-Wave binding?). During the scan I can see the cmd window messages:
13:04:19.564 [WARN ] [zwave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 2: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
13:04:19.567 [WARN ] [zwave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 3: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.

I know this is super long and maybe rambling, but I thought it better to “put it all on the table” rather than risk leaving out something really important as ambiguous.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the community- sorry the first news is gonna be bad.

The current binding does not support this controller. The controller comes up fine, but no devices can be discovered.

I have a proposed PR, but it has not been merged.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. At least we’re getting somewhere. Until this Zooz stick is added, is there a recommendation for a different USB Z-Wave controller that’s known to work with these sensors?

Basically any 500 chip controller will work.

I do not know how anxious you are, but the PR has been there since February, so it could be a while.

I normally would not mention to someone new, but from your post you seem to know your way around. I did create a jar with the PR included on my github respository. Releases · apella12/org.openhab.binding.zwave (github.com). The documentation to update a binding was recently improved and is here, if you want to try now or sometime in the future. Bundle Management | openHAB

I have both your devices and have been using this jar (more or less) for about 6 months, so there should not be any problems. When the PR is merged or some other 700 changes are made by the developer, it should be a smooth transition

2 Likes

Thanks again for all the support. I feel this is a good helpful community. I would like to play with the git release, but am going out on some travel and have a 500 device on the way in the mean time. That’s ok, because when things settle down, one or the other controller can go to my wife’s family cottage, so no worries. Thanks, and I’ll be back in touch as situations progress.

1 Like

Well, Amazon had the NORTEK HUSBZB-1 controller that claims to be 500. It claims to have Z-Wave and ZigBee. Windows gave the Z-Wave part a COM port after I installed the driver. I completely reloaded OH 4.0.1 from scratch and the Z-Wave binding. I took the controller as a Thing on the right COM port, but on trying to add new Things to the Z-Wave binging several times, it simply doesn’t see them in Scan as I try to wake them up. There’s no activity at all in log:tail. Could this one also be incompatible or did I miss a step?

The HUSBZB1 works with openHAB and works with version 4, I know because I own one and it works. What region are you in? Are these battery operated devices? (sorry if you’ve already answered these questions, I didn’t read) If they are battery operated devices they will require waking multiple times
ok the Zooz ZSE18 is mains powered, the door lock is not. The door lock requires secure inclusion which takes extra long. Often secure door locks will need to be located very near the controller to include. With the Zooz, make sure you know the correct wake sequence. Often the wake sequence is not correct in the documentation. Keep trying, sometime it takes a bunch of tries

Don’t have much OH experience with windows (I do some testing in the WSL environment, but that is different). Agree with @Andrew_Rowe stick is fine.

Zwave is like an iceberg, 90% is below water (At the Debug level). In the UI go to bindings, zwave and click on the steering wheel to change to debug. Collect some data doing something and switch back to Info. There is a debug log viewer here Z-Wave Log Viewer (opensmarthouse.org) as it can be overwhelming otherwise.

I think the dual zwave/zigbee stick was a good choice.

Moved this out of the tutorials section as it is clearly not a tutorial

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.