Zigbee coordinator is unable to find most zigbee components(things)

Platform information:
Hardware: MSI Cubi5 8GBRAM
OpenJRE 11
openHAB version: 3.3
Elelabs ELU013 Zigbee dongle Buy Zigbee USB Adapter | Zigbee USB Adapter Hongkong | Elelabs

I have recently taken my first steps into the openhab world, with my purchase of the ELU013 dongle. I did a fresh install of ubuntu desktop and installed openhab via apt. I installed the zigbee addon, and after finding out that the braille display drivers on ubuntu conflicts with the dongle (that was fun), I got up and running.
I bought two zigbee 3 compatible items just to get my feet wet.
A Zigbee 3 compliant Phillips Hue Smart Plug (At least according to the salesman)
And a Sonoff motion sensor SONOFF SNZB-03 - ZigBee Smart Motion Sensor

The problem is that none of the two items are discoverable. I installed the ember coordinator, and it did find an Ikea LED driver in my basement that hadn’t been powered on for two days, which was kind of impressive. The two items I actually bought for the test are not discoverable though, they simply do not show up when I search for new items, no matter how many times I reset them
I tried updating the firmware of the dongle, just to be on the safe side, but it made no difference.

So my question is threefold.
First of all: What debug options do I have available? Is it possible that I have misconfigured something in my coordinator that means it is having a hard time finding certain items? I just used the default settings in the UI, the only thing I changed was the serial port. Do I have to do something to enable Zigbee 3? Is it possible that it is a Legacy Zigbee/Zigbee 3 issue where my coordinator only understands one of them? And how do I address that if its the case?
Secondly: Is is possible that the things I found are just not compatible with the zigbee protocol in reality? I’ve seen forum posts where people say that they have gotten both Sonoff and Hue products to work with the generic zigbee binding. Is there a compatability repository out there I can trust?
Thirdly: Does anyone have any experience with these two items? (And how did you make them work?) :slight_smile:

I hope you will find some time to help me. I really want to get into this, but my first experience with 66% of my items just not being discovered is pretty disheartening.

Thank you!

I can confirm that the SNZB-03 works (latest openHAB snapshot).

Excerpt from the manual:

“Then long press reset button on
the device for 5s until the LED indicator flashes three times, which
means the device has entered the pairing mode, and be patient
until pairing completes.
If the addition failed, move the sub-device closer to the Bridge and try again.”

Scan for new devices while your device is in pairing mode - and be patient, full discovery may take some time.

The firmware version of your Zigbee stick should be >= 6.7.8.

TBH, I’m in the process of migrating my Zigbee devices from the openHAB Zigbee Binding to Zigbee2MQTT.

More answers: :slight_smile:

• Debug options: ZigBee - Bindings | openHAB
  • Your Zigbee coordinator picked up a device, so it should be able to discover your devices.
  • There is no ‘Zigbee 3.0 switch’ - the only requirement for Zigbee 3.0 discovery is a recent coordinator firmware (>= 6.7.8). A coordinator that supports Zigbee 3.0 should be able to discover and control older devices.
  • The openHAB Zigbee binding aims to support standard Zigbee devices. All certified Zigbee devices can be found on Certified Products Search | IOT - CSA-IOT - I cannot find the SNZB-03 in this database - but it does work for me.
  • The devices supported by Zigbee2MQTT are listed on | Zigbee2MQTT .
  • Yet another database of Zigbee devices (focus on compatibility with HA software): https://zigbee.blakadder.com/

Edit:
Just for reference the Thing Properties of my MS01 aka SNZB-03:

zigbee_logicaltype
    END_DEVICE
    zigbee_powerlevel
    MEDIUM
    zigbee_manufacturercode
    0x0000
    modelId
    MS01
    zigbee_networkaddress
    zigbee_powersource
    RECHARGABLE_BATTERY
    zigbee_datecode
    zigbee_zclversion
    zigbee_routes
    []
    zigbee_lastupdate
    zigbee_stkcompliance
    vendor
    eWeLink
    zigbee_powermode
    RECEIVER_ON_PERIODICALLY
    zigbee_powersources
    [RECHARGABLE_BATTERY]
    hardwareVersion
    zigbee_neighbors
    []
    zigbee_applicationVersion
    zigbee_device_initialised
    true
    zigbee_devices
    []

Thank you :slight_smile: I actually made it work for the motion sensor now. It works all fine. So the only thing that doesn’t work now is the Phillips Smart Plug, but it may just be that it will only play nice with the hue hub. I am not seeing any logs that indiicates what happens during the scan phase of the zigbee coordinator, so I don’t know if its just a failed handshake or whatever. But thank you very much for your help, now 66% of my things work, thats encouraging!

1 Like

Great news - now let’s tackle your remaining 34%. :slight_smile:

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/supported-devices/ lists 11 devices for ‘Philips’ and ‘plug’, e.g. Philips 929002240401 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT.
Quote:
“Pairing: Hold down power button (side of the switch) about 10 seconds, release once it blinks and then turns green.”
You would have to find out how to factory reset or to initiate pairing mode for your plug (consult manual).

Edit:
I’m no expert on the Philips Hue universe, but maybe your plug doesn’t support Zigbee (Bluetooth only)?

I have factory reset the plug at least 25 times over the last few days, blinking and all. It is however, on the top of the switch :slight_smile:
It does say zigbee on the case, but it does not say zigbee 3, so it might be one of those non-compliant uncertified basterdizations fo the protocol that will only work with the bridge.

I haven’t been able do find any logs that describe the search phase of the ember coordinator, but I haven’t sifted through too much of the documentation left, so it might just be a missing log level somewhere.

For low level logging use:

log:set debug org.openhab.binding.zigbee
log:set debug com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
log:set info com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember.internal.ash

… and make sure that your Zigbee coordinator is the only one that is waiting for devices to join. :slight_smile:

That last one is tricky, since I know of at least two neighbors with hue hubs. But thank you :grin:

I have a Hue switch at home - I’m not sure of the exact model, and I’m away from home so can’t check, but it should work fine. Typically the Hue devices are compliant and will work with bridges other than the Hue bridge.

But they won’t be waiting to join - joining is only enabled for short durations, so the chance that the other systems will be open for joining at the same time is very very low.

An un/misconfigured Zigbee2MQTT installation sucks in all the unconfigured Zigbee devices it can get. Agreed, the probablity is very low, but we don’t know which Zigbee coordinators are lingering in OP’s vincinity.

A complete debug log would be needed for further analysis.

I will try setting the log level for the suggested loggers and see if I get any information back regarding pairing. Thank you very much.