Zigbee dongle on synology with zwave dongle

Hello,
I brought eleabs zigbee dongle, and tried to add it to my Synology DSM7 (using oh3.1 on docker).
I already has one usb with zwave, connected it to the second USB and even to the one in front, but the system does not recognize it. I don’t see /dev/ttyACM1 (the /dev/ttyACM0 is the zwave dongle).
Do I need to install special driver in order the will work (something like this:
Index of /iperf-arp-scan/DSM_7.0/apollolake)

My zwave dongle works great.

After connecting the zigbee dongle I see in lsusb -i new entry:

|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0404 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (Linux 4.4.180+ xhci-hcd xHCI Host Controller 0000:00:15.0) hub
  |__1-3         1a86:7523:0263 ff  1.10   12MBit/s 98mA 1IF  ( ffffffd8ffffffb9ffffffd0ffffffa2)
  1-3:1.0         (IF) ff:01:02 3EPs ()

and in dmesg I see:

[177114.067964] usb 1-3: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[177114.209819] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.

(I can’t find device Id for running the modprobe cp210x command

and after that I see zwave stick not reacting well…

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Synology announced with DSM7 that they are basically dropping support for USB devices in general. Synology DSM 7.0 ends support for USB Devices ⌚️ 🖥 📱 mac&egg

Ohhhh,
So any ideas how can I use openHAB inside docker in Synology? Or should I think about new solution :frowning:

Some have had luck with Share Z-wave dongle over IP (USB over IP using ser2net / socat ) guide but based on all the troubles I’ve seen it’s always been my position that it’s probably not worth it to try to run openHAB on Synology or QNap.

Currently zwave alone working great on my Synology (with script that runs on boot).
But if I’m already creating new computer why not to install openhab on it…

Tip is to run OpenHAB in a VM (Virtual Machine) on Synology instead of running in Synology DSM OS.

It is third-party drivers which Synology does not allow in their DSM OS but with a VM you get around that by using USB-port pass-though and then installing the drivers in whichever OS you run on the VM.

With a VM you also get the added benefits of VM snapshots for quick backup and restore at upgrades.

Check out Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)

https://www.synology.com/sv-se/dsm/feature/virtual_machine_manager

As far as I see I assume the best thing to do is to create a VM on my synology and then install my openHab with docker on it.
It is much more easy to manage openhab on docker…

I assume I’ll need to use this: VMware Knowledge Base

What kind of VM did you installed?

I have OpenHAB with DSM 7.0 running into a Docker container. It was a bit painful at the beginning but now it works.

See the discussion here:

I have two USB dongles: zwave AEOTEC Z-Stick gen 5 and zigbee ConBee 2. These two dongles do not require additional drivers with DSM 7.0. The two devices appear as /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1.

I will try to use your zigbee USB stick. Can you show you thing configuration of the zigbee please (I saw few threads saying it is not compatible with openhab zigbee binding)?

I used another Docker container (marthoc/deconz) to manage the zigbee dongle:

docker run -d \
    --name=deconz \
    --net=host \
    --restart=always \
    -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
    -v /volume1/docker/deconz/opt:/root/.local/share/dresden-elektronik/deCONZ \
    --device=/dev/ttyACM0 \
    marthoc/deconz

I used the Dresden Elektronik deCONZ Binding from OpenHAB with the IP:Port of my Synology. It works perfectly.

I do not mean VMware. I meant a VM running in Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM), see:

https://www.synology.com/sv-se/dsm/feature/virtual_machine_manager

Synology VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) virtualization is not available on older DiskStation models.

You can still use Docker, you should just not use Docker directly under the Synology DSM OS.

Instead install a VM (Virtual Machine) with your prefered Linux ditrobution and run Docker in that.

Another container just for zigbee? Looks too much to me

With a Synology, you do not have many alternatives. Synology VMM would probably be a better option for you since you can install both OpenHAB and Deconz in the same virtual machine. Moreover updating software will be much easier.

Concerning Docker, I have several containers running without any problem (my DS218+ has 6 Gbytes of RAM). It took me 5 minutes to install the Deconz container (available in the register).

BTW, why did you set it as a host net? and not only allow the specific ports?

I should change this. I just followed the instructions here: ConBee II Installation

By the way, I should also moved to the new container available here: GitHub - deconz-community/deconz-docker

The one I am using is deprecated since november 15th.