ZigBee Motionsensor with Alexa Metadata in UI - How?

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to setup a zigbee Xiaomi Motion Sensor but I am struggling to set it up correctly.

These are the Zigbee motion sensors (Xiaomi RTCGQ11LM control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT) I own and j am trying to integrate them with Alexa.

I think I have to use MotionSensor.Mode for the occupancy string item and MotionSensor.Battery Level for the Battery number item but I am not fully sure.

How do I know which Modes are supported by MotionSensor.Mode ?

Why are you using a String item for the occupancy? This is a binary state according to the documentation you provided. Why don’t you model it as a Switch item? That way you can use the native motion sensor capability MotionDetectionState at the skill level.

Also, as indicated in the documentation, keep in mind that currently, you won’t get much out of the motion sensor implementation on the Alexa side since the skill doesn’t support proactive reporting as of yet.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I will implement it according to your suggestions and you are right I don’t know why I used a string item will change it to an switch item.

I know proactive reporting does not work yet but as soon as it does I already have them set up correctly so they can be made use of then.

May I ask if you know if when the proactive reporting may be supported ?

Can I help somehow?

It’s in the works. It involves an architecture change adding a new binding. So this is not a small change.

1 Like

hi! @salexes - i am thinking using some xiaomi motion sensors. my current system is zwave based but a simple motion sensor like the xiaomi zigbee ones would be great.

can you suggest an implmenetation? xiaomi motion sensor +zigbee controler/usb stick+ zigbee binding? any better suggestoins?

Ideally the least point of failures would be good

thanks Alex