Zigbee stick: port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

I am running OpenhabianPi and tried to connect a CC2531 stick to use as a Zigbee corrdinator. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear at port ttyACM0 as it did in previous installs.

dmesg returns:

[    2.967363] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [    2.988637] usb 1-1.5: Product: CC2531 USB Dongle
    [    2.988646] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Texas Instruments

so it is physically recognized. However, I can not select port ttyACM0 in the Zigbee binding.

What I have tried so far:

• added user openhab to dialout
  • added user openhab to tty
  • changed rights for /dev/ttyAMA0 to 777
  • reinstalled binding
  • added “EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=”-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyS0:/dev/ttyS2:/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyAMA0"" to /etc/default/openhab2

Any further suggestions at this point? Zigbee debug logging retuns no errors as it’s not connected to the stick yet…

Which openhab version ?

Have you tried adding a Symlink to your stick and use that in the binding? I had huge troubles with mine until I added a Symlink. Especially when using multiple usb devices.
Those are mine but the whole thread includes a wealth of information Raspberry Pi - Make serial USB ports persistent via symlinks
Best regards Johannes

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

How do I obtain the idvendor and idproduct?

But I honestly doubt this will change anything. If you´re using openhabian the ACM0 should be there. Give it a try anyway.

Unfortunately, none of the above worked. Just did a clean install of the OS, added openhabian to dialout and still dmesg only returns this without a port :worried::

[ 1337.682823] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 1337.827300] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0451, idProduct=16ae, bcdDevice=57.62
[ 1337.827318] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1337.827328] usb 1-1.4: Product: CC2531 USB Dongle
[ 1337.827337] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Texas Instruments

Did you also program the cc2531 stick or is it still a naked stick?

https://blog.schmidhuber.org/barebone-zigbee-stick-cc2530-cc2531-mit-dem-smartrf04eb-programmieren

With this Stick you have no hassle…

https://shop.dresden-elektronik.de/conbee-2.html

The CC2531 naked Stick can be programmed with firmware & come without any Firmware … I think that’s your Problem :wink:

1 Like

I bought this one on eBay because it already has an antenna soldered on. According to the offer, it is programmed.

However, even another CC2531 that I flashed myself and that worked fine on a previous install with the same hardware produces the same output in dmesg.

And ls -l /dev/tty* produces /dev/tty to /dev/tty63 as well as these three:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 204, 64 Aug  9 15:58 /dev/ttyAMA0
crw------- 1 root root      5,  3 Aug  9 15:58 /dev/ttyprintk
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout   4, 64 Aug  9 15:58 /dev/ttyS0

Now I even borrowed another RPi 3 B+ from a friend to rule out faulty USB ports.
Clean install but nope, ttyACM0 does not exist.

I’m slowly going mad. Openhab is not of any use to me like this :frowning:

Just had an idea…
Did you change the serial settings from the openhabian-config ?? If not, if might be worth a try.
It´s menu option 35. These are my settings:
openhabian%20config%20menu%2035

Yes, all options are checked to no effect, unfortunately. Thank you though :slight_smile:

It is very odd, cause I have the ACM0 serial port just fine… I had no more ideas :frowning:

To be fair, I don’t think that this is an openHAB issue if the serial port doesn’t work.

Do you know what these three are (at least the top and bottom one are probably serial ports). If you plug in the device and do ls /dev/tty* then remove it and do the same thing, does it list the same ports? You’ve probably done this, so apologies if you have.

Are you using the CC2531? Different drivers (and therefore different sticks) will create serial ports with different names.

No, I thought the driver would be the same for USB devices in general. My mistake!

I should have clarified that this is based on my linux box here which is not openhabian, so I guess it’s possible that on openhabian it’s always the same.

To be fair, I don’t think that this is an openHAB issue if the serial port doesn’t work.

I know… Sorry, I am a little frustrated :wink:

Do you know what these three are (at least the top and bottom one are probably serial ports). If you plug in the device and do ls /dev/tty* then remove it and do the same thing, does it list the same ports? You’ve probably done this, so apologies if you have.

Done that, no idea what they are. The USB stick is the only device plugged in and removing it does not affect these three entries.

@chris @zzzZZZzzz any solutions onto this?