Zigbee "Xiaomi Aqara" door contact is detected as switch

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Synology/Docker (and a cc2531 USB stick for Zigbee)
    • Java Runtime Environment: Whatever is installed in the official openHAB docker image
    • openHAB version: 2.5
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue

I have a “Xiaomi Aqara Smart Window Door Sensor” installed and working.
Only problem is see, the Zigbee binding detects this device as a switch, and not as a contact.

Is there a way to change that? It’s more or less only a cosmetic issue, but still…
I tried to do it in PaperUI and managed to link the thing to a contact item, but it simple did not work (no open/close was detected). However, if the thing is linked to a switch item, it detects every open/close very reliable.

BTW, there is also no channel to report the remaining battery capacity, but I’ve read elsewhere that this is a known problem of Xiaomi devices, because they report the battery capacity in some non-zigbee-standard way?

Does it report open/closed or on/off? If on/off then try using a transformation service.

Not sure about the battery capacity as I use zigbee2mqtt.

No. If the Channel requires a Switch, you have to link it to a Switch. You can set up a Rule and a Proxy Item but you can’t just link a Contact to a Channel that requires a Switch.

You can change how it appears in your sitemap so it “looks” like a Contact but you can’t actually change the Item type.

Sorry, can I ask how did you successfully paired the aqara door contact via cc2531? I’m trying from days but the result is always “OFFLINE Node has not completed discovery”.

It seems I was lucky once. The Zigbee binding did successfully pair this one sensor. With a second one I had the same problem, as well as with 3 out of 5 aqara temperature sensors. I do not know why it works sometimes and why not, but a search in this forum suggests that these sensors are problematic with the Zigbee binding.
Fortunately, I was able to switch to zigbee2mqtt, so now my openHAB uses MQTT messages to communicate with my Zigbee devices. zigbee2mqtt works very well with these Xiaomi sensors.
Only drawback: zigbee2mqtt requires a special firmware on the cc2531 (see documentation of zigbee2mqtt) . I was lucky again, I bought mine with that firmware already installed :slight_smile:

Hello Frank,

i have also the Door Sensors and a zigbee2mqtt stick. in the mqtt broker i see the Sensor. Contact says “true” and “false”. i need help to integrate the sensor in openhab3