ZWave 2.4.0~M4-1 - Controller Loses Port Configuration Upon openHAB Restart

Platform Information

Hardware: 
* Raspberry Pi 3 Model B version 1.2 (ARMv8, with 1GB RAM, and 64 GB microSD card)
* ZMEUUZB - ZWave.Me USB Z-Wave dongle
* ZOOZ ZEN15 Power Switch
* Insteon 2413U PLM
* Many Insteon switches

Java Runtime Environment: java version “1.8.0_181”, Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13), Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)
openHAB version: 2.4.0~M4-1 with openhab2-addons 2.4.0~M4-1

Hello Community,

I’m testing Milestone build 2.4.0~M4-1, and specifically its ZWave binding. I noticed an odd issue wherein the binding is losing the ZWave controller’s port configuration. In my case, the controller identifies as using /dev/ttyACM0. I’ve created a symlink to /dev/ttyUSB-ZWave for that port. If I set the controller to use /dev/ttyUSB-ZWave and save the setting, the controller pops online. However, if openHAB restarts, the controller defaults back to /dev/ttyACM0. This isn’t a problem for me as I added /dev/ttyACM0 back into my EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS (/etc/default/openhab2). However, this could be a problem for others.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Burzin

Have you created udev rules to keep the ports persistent?

Here’s a link that can help if not https://community.openhab.org/t/raspberry-pi-make-serial-usb-ports-persistent-via-symlinks/35847

Hi @H102,

Yes, the rules are persistent via a udev rule, they work post-reboot. If I power-cycle the Pi I see the same behavior, so I don’t think it’s the the system. I should have mentioned that this appeared to be working with the Snapshot binding, so I think it’s this version of the binding. I’m happy to be proven wrong though.

Regards,
Burzin

I just upgraded to the milestone from the snapshot and am now seeing the same behaviour. After every reboot zwave looses the port configuration.
(I have udev rule persisting it, and zwave has been running stable for on snapshots previously)

Check your EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS to make sure they haven’t changed. This happened to me on my test server once but not sure why.

EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS haven’t changed. And the proper port (/dev/zwave) shows in the drop down in PaperUI and I can select it.
I noticed in the jsondb org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json my device changes from /dev/zwave back to /dev/ttyUSB0 after a restart.

Hi,
I have the same issue with zWave as well as with Zigbee sticks. I have 3 sticks running in parallel and also created udev rules and the persistent ports are showing up in OpenHAB. However, after restart I have to select the ports for the zWave and Zigbee binding again. The third stick is a nanoCUL and this one remembers its port and is working properly. Any idea why this is happening?

Hello All,

I had a chance to retest after installing Milestone release 2.4.0~M5-1. For ZWave at any rate, the port configuration is now retained after a reboot.

Burzin