Zwave - Aeotec Multisensor 6, going offline exactly every ½ hour

After I have move my whole main system from an Rpi3B+ (running openhabian 2.5.6) to an Odroid C2 running openhabian 2.5.8, I have noticed my Aeotec Multisensor 6 behave kinda strange.
Exactly every ½ hour, I see this in the log:

2020-09-03 18:46:46.849 [ERROR] [e.smarthome.model.script.ThingStatus] - ZwaveNode5 is offline or doesn't exist.
2020-09-03 18:46:47.615 [INFO ] [e.smarthome.model.script.ThingStatus] - ZwaveNode5 is online.

I cant recall seeing this before. But have anyone else noticed the same?

The sensor is powered with USB. So it´s not running on battery.

It might be related to polling - maybe it’s timing out, or it might be something else. I’d suggest to enable debug logging to see what the cause is :wink: .

The polling is set to the default 240 sec when the device runs on USB power. I have never changed this in the almost 3 years I have had this device.
I may try some debug logging, but atm I have a few others issues I´m debug logging. I hoped someone might respond with the same behaviour. Otherweise I´ll try to debug it… At least its constant every ½ hour, so it should be easy enough to tell from the log, I hope :slight_smile:

Hmm… a small update (before I start the debug logging).

It seems like this only happen during a periode without any motion going on. The sensor is placed in my home office (where I´m sitting right now). And there have been no issue since I entered the office after the latest issue at 18:46:47.

But if you don’t know what the problem is, then someone might have “the same behaviour” but caused by a totally different reason. It’s always best to understand the cause of a problem before looking for a solution.

Totally agree. Noone can fix a problem without knowing the cause, except from pure luck!
I guess my question was more like, how much effort I should put into this. If it´s a common issue, maybe a bad device or anything like that, I could live with the offline for less than a second :smiley:
On the other hand, it would be great if its just some minor issue which could be solved easily. Therefore I will start the debug logging, and hopefully within a a coupple of hours have something for you to look at.

Here you go Chris… Just as I assumed, it didnt take long, and the issue is there…
First the normal openhab.log, so you know where to look (time):

2020-09-03 21:46:42.666 [ERROR] [e.smarthome.model.script.ThingStatus] - ZwaveNode5 is offline or doesn't exist.
2020-09-03 21:46:42.706 [INFO ] [e.smarthome.model.script.ThingStatus] - ZwaveNode5 is online.

And then the debug log:
zwave.debuglog.rar.txt (13.3 KB)

Rename the by deleting the .txt. Its an rar compressed file, just as usual.

What is the wakeup time set to?

240 seconds (default for the device. Never touched it).

So the issue is caused by the device not sending wakeups within the wakeup period - actually after more than twice the wakeup period. I think you said it was on mains power, so I wouldn’t have expected it to support wakeup.

Try changing the wakeup period to a longer number - at least 15 minutes if your poll period is 30 minutes, but you might as well make it longer.

1 Like

This is from PaperUI device setup:

Its USB powered (which I believe is the same as mains power).
Poll period is 1 day (dont ask why. I have never touched it as far as I recall).
I´ll change the wakeup to ½ hour (1800 secs).

1 Like

The poll period seems to be 30 minutes for whatever reason. Anyway, as I said I think if you change the wakeup to 30 minutes it will solve this hopefully.

I´ll keep an eye on it…
Thanks for taking care, Chris!

Seems like the change of wakeup to 1800 sec did do some changes… I have not seen the node going offline yet… (However I had to restart openhab due to sudden issues with mqtt broker binding).
I´ll continue to monitoring it, and if it doesnt go offline during the night, I assume it just needed some more time to wakeup, (Man! I can relate to that feeling :rofl: ).

1 Like

Hi,

Although I don’t have the specific device myself, I remember some posts suggesting Aeotec devices which can be battery or mains (USB) powered set their Z-Wave status based on the power state when added to the network. This means if you added the device when on battery, then added a mains PSU, it will continue to sleep as if it were battery powered.

At the risk of adding a ‘me too’ to this issue, I have seen two Aeotec ZW089 Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 battery door sensors dropping offline and back every 15 minutes or so:

2020-09-03 13:12:35.070 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:a1aa85fb:node61' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2020-09-03 13:13:44.004 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:a1aa85fb:node61' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2020-09-03 13:13:44.072 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:a1aa85fb:node61' has been updated.

After changing Wakeup Interval = 1800, these errors have gone so the advice was useful and appreciated!

Thinking more widely, after seeing several minor Z-Wave device config issues over the years (Wakeup Node/ Association Groups not set to the controller, Polling Period / Wakeup Interval timer intervals), I wonder if there’s an opportunity for a ‘Z-Wave config checker’ either as part of Scan or Thing Edit?

Sort of a ‘lint’ tool for device config.

Is it possible to spot that some parameters are generally ‘wrong’ or ‘ill advised’ (e.g. IF zwave_listening == false AND Poll Interval <60S THEN Poor battery life likely)?
I suppose the risk is the complexity rises exponentially if manufacturerId, modelId, or even zwave_version are needed to accomodate the ‘foibles’ of specific devices and firmware updates.

I know thanks… My device has only been included using batteri for the very start (as a test). After that I it was excluded and re-included using USB power.
But you´re right, its important to notice this differences in the way its beeing included.

And it is infact a bit strange devices. Everytime I move the Zwave dongle to another system (new setup) and add the zwave devices stored on the dongle, there is no association group setup for this device, which means I have to update this every time. Otherweise it will not send notfication of movement.
My other zwave devices remember the association group just fine.
I´m not quite sure where info about association group is stored… Perhaps @chris can answer this?