Zwave BASIC command

So i’m trying to send zwave basic set command to some device in the rules file.
this is my binding:
Number qubino_dimmer2 { zwave=“17:command=basic” }
and this is what i’m doing in the rules:
val Number lastValue = 255;
qubino_dimmer2.sendCommand(lastValue)

and that does not work, i get this warning:
[WARN ] [.o.b.z.i.c.ZWaveBasicConverter:108 ]- No converter found for item = qubino_dimmer2, node = 17 endpoint = 0, ignoring command.

if I change 255 to 100 it works ok. So how do I send BASIC SET command with value 255 ?

No help but I have the exact same question. I want to send BASIC SET to either 0 or 0xFF.

I guess we’re talking about OH1 based on the item definition. If you want to send 0/255, then I would have expected a switch to work fine?

Actually OpenHAB 2 for me.

I want to send it to the Remotec ZXT-120. There are several items like mode, temperature.
But according to the manual, sending a 0 will turn it off and 0xFF will turn it on (resume, using the last AC configuration).

But to which item shall I send the basic request in OpenHAB 2? I created the items via Paper UI.

Maybe I need to create the item myself? I am not at home so I can’t test it but something like this:

Switch Remotec { zwave=“8:command=BASIC” }

Sorry - I thought from the item definitions this was about OH1 - my mistake.

Normally there is another command class that is used and not basic - why do you need to use basic? What do you want to do? What other command classes are available - maybe one of them does what you want (which is normally the case)?

In Paper UI it looks like this:

Ok, but I wanted to know what you are trying to do that requires you to use the BASIC class?

This:

Now that I read it more closely it seems obvious I can just set Thermostat mode to 0 or 5.

But is it possible to do it via basic set in OpenHAB 2? Just curious.

I guess this can be used from a physical Z-Wave switch in an association group to turn the AV on and off.

Exactly - this is what I was getting at. There’s nearly always an alternative to using the BASIC class. The BASIC class is mean to be used when two devices are associated - eg you want your light switch to send a command to your thermostat - the light switch doesn’t know about many command classes, and tries to be interoperable using the BASIC class which must be implemented by all devices.

When using software like OH, you should normally be able to use the ‘real’ command class - as it shows here ;).

Of course - this is what the “Thermostat mode” channel is for…

Thanks for the explanation!

I understand I can get the same functionality by setting “Thermostat mode” to, in this specific case, to 0 for OFF and 5 for ON.
But I guess there is a generic way of sending BASIC OFF that works for all kind of things?

No - only if a channel is defined. Why do you want to do this?

For most ZWave systems, the user wouldn’t care if the system used a specific command class - the user wants to exercise certain functionality - they don’t care how it works. I don’t really understand why you don’t want to use the other command class.

As I said earlier, the BASIC class is kind of a low level class that is used for device interchangeability (as much as possible anyway). Just about all functionality from a device should be available through a specific command class and this should be used where possible as it’s much more defined than the BASIC class. If there’s something that is only available through the BASIC class, then a channel needs to be defined - just like any other channel. It can of course be done, but my thought for OH2 was to try and limit the number of channels to make things clearer for the user…

I don’t want to do that for this item, but I was curious about the process. Now I know, thanks! :slight_smile: