ZWave Dead Node Handling

Hi @chris,

I’ve had a few instances where a node goes offline recently due to power failure on a particular circuit. Based on what I’ve read in the google group it is being handled by the binding as you intended it.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openhab/h3beXlo5iKU

Alive nodes are normally allowed 3 retries
A periodic PING will be used at a slow rate to ensure a node is still ALIVE
If a node fails to respond after 3 retries it gets marked DEAD
A notification will be sent to start a network heal on the DEAD node
Any further commands etc sent to the DEAD node will still be sent, but no retries will be supported to avoid locking up the network
As soon as a node responds, it gets marked ALIVE, and has full retry privileges restored

After I’ve restored power to the node, it stays marked as dead until I’ve interacted with it in someway, like send the switch an ON/OFF toggle. Once this happens, habmin marks it as alive and it makes it to ‘item=DEAD’ based on the zwave:aliveCheckPeriod. But even before that the “item=LAST_UPDATE” has an updated timestamp for recent activity. It seems the binding/network is aware that the node is back. Can we enact some mechanism to automatically restore the node to alive without any intervention? (so “item=DEAD” is updated in a more timely fashion).

Interesting - do you have polling enabled for this device? It should already bring a device back to life if it’s successfully communicated with it so I would consider this a (minor) bug if it’s not…

I’d be interested in seeing a debug log of what’s happening after the device goes dead, but before you ‘flick the switch’ - feel free to email it directly if it’s too big…

I can confirm the node comes back ONLINE and ALIVE as soon as it is powered again and being polled by the binding.
I can NOT confirm Any further commands etc sent to the DEAD node will still be sent, but no retries will be supported to avoid locking up the network. The message is retried exactly once after trying to send a command to the failed node.

Is there still a need for a debug log? I am reproducing this with GWPN1 BINARY_SWITCH POWER_SWITCH_BINARY outlet.